IGNORED

sticky front brake

y2krider

I had a problem with the front brake lever sticking on my 2000 RSV. The lever moved smoothly for a bit then seemed to stick. When I applied more pressure it would suddenly move way to much and make the bike nose dive badly. After finding a post here saying to put a dab of grease between the adjustment screw on the lever and the plunger it pushes on, I took the lever off. This was the problem. The rough end of the adjustment screw had worn a rough groove in the plunger. I used a dremel tool to sand and buff the end of the screw to a mirror shine then lightly sanded the plunger to remove the groove. I then coated the surface with a light coat of anti-seize (I had some handy and thought I would give it a try. Grease would probably work just as well or maybe even better.) Now the brake works properly. The plunger is evidently made of aluminum and the screw is steel. Guess who wins that battle. I think that when it starts to wear a new groove which I am confident it will eventually, I will try to epoxy a thin steel disc to the plunger so it will have steel on steel. I am thinking this should fix the problem forever.