IGNORED

96 RSTC exhaust popping

Disclaimer:

Before you make ANY adjustments make sure you mark each mixture screws and turn it in until it stops counting the exact number of turns. Record the original settings so you can go back and start over if you get lost.

I had the same problem with my 96. After many hours of research on this site and plenty of advice, removing and cleaning my carbs was my first step. It helped but didn't stop the popping on my #3 cylinder. I continued to look for a soultion and finally came to the conclusion that it was a rich mixture. I tried to find somewhere that could run an exhaust gas analyser to set them. Needless to say I couldn't find any "old school" mechanics that could do it without a computer hookup. The old probe up the tail pipe machine seems to have gone the way of the dinosauer. However, I did find a guy that runs a Dyno-Shop for hot rods (rice burners) that took a look at my plugs and schooled me what to look for. According to him the plugs should be light grey with no spotting on them. The spotting indicates a too lean mixture which can be very bad. My #3 was light brown (the way I was always told it should be). The other 3 were a darker grey. He told me to clean the plugs and lean out each one a quarter turn. Then run a tank of gas and check them again. Adjust again and run another tank. I had to lean #3 out almost 3/4 of a turn to get the color right. The rest of them only needed 1/4 to 1/2 of a turn. The popping went away except on deceleration or if the choke is out more than the first notch when warming up. I took the plugs back to the Dyno-Shop guy and he confirmed that the mixture looked good. I do a plug check now every time I sync my carbs or change my oil. So far I haven't needed to do any more adjustments. I also run some Seafoam in my gas about every 4th or 5th tank to help keep my carbs clean.

I hope this helps. Good luck.:fingers-crossed-emo