IGNORED

Autocom system to Uniden CB

My Bike, being an 83 Standard, did not have the factory intercom or CB, and I picked up an Autocom Active Duo system last year from a friend who hardly ever used it. The intercom works flawlessly, and as well as connecting the MP3 player and cell phone, with seamless VOX operation for both driver and passenger.

The Autocom has an additional Aux 4 connection for bike-to-bike communication, primarily for CB or other radio. The standard VOX operation applies to the CB as well, which is a bit of a pain, as the driver and passenger would be merrily sharing their conversation with everyone within CB range. Acknowledging in hindsight that this may be inconvenient, Autocom offered optional Push to Talk (PTT) cables for a fee.

Long story short – as I have used it so far, my system works wonderfully and I am very happy with it, but I would now like to connect a CB for bike-to-bike... primarily so Marcarl can let me know when the next coffee/ice cream stop is coming up. The crux is that Autocom seems to have temporarily suspended business while new ownership takes over and their days of creating custom cables tailored to the specific CB (or other) radio you wish to connect to are over.

However, how hard can it be ?

I have the pinouts for the Aux 4 connection from the Autocom system, and I have the pinouts from the mic connection from the Uniden 510XL CB that I wish to use. The Uniden uses the mic button to switch the radio from “Receive” to “Transmit”, so I am thinking I need a Double Pole, Double Throw Push button to select between the two (using the COMMON or Screen), with Receive being the Normal position. The VOX on the Autocom should take care of providing the input from my headset to the MIC OUT pin which needs to go to the MIC pin on the CB.

The CB has a connection for an external speaker at the rear... a 2.5 mm jack, which I need to connect to the SPEAKER IN on the Autocom. Can I do this ? At first glance, 2 output wires cannot both go to one pin. However, if one is a common or ground, then I only need to determine the hot wire, and connect it to the SPEAKER IN, correct ? Secondly, if the output of the CB through that jack is 7 watts, is there anything I can do to limit that so that the Autocom system does not get overloaded ?

Sorry for not providing a wiring diagram but electrical drawings are not my forte... I can usually read them, but creating them is a whole other issue.

Any input/advice would be greatly welcomed.

Well, I think I am going to just plunge ahead and wire it up. The only issue I am having is that I can't find a sealed pushbutton switch....

RadioShack doesn't exist up in these parts any more. Anyone have any ideas where I could get one ? Even the local industrial supply place was no help.