IGNORED

Which is the best Aspect Ratio for DS

DONATALIE

Hey all,

I am considering going to a CT on my 2000 Royal Star Venture. I have been monitoring this forum for a while now, and I'm pretty convinced I want to take the plunge. Two quick questions for the guru's out there. First, if I've done my homework correctly, the aspect ratio for the 165/80R15 (Federal, Khumo, etc.), when converted yields a sidewall height of 132 MM. The 155/80R15 (BFGoodrich) converts to 124 MM. The stock size MT of 150/90R15 converts to 135. Obviously, the 165 tires are closer to stock, but is that necessarily better. I think, as others have suggested, it might have less of an effect on the number of tire rotations (speedometer) than the smaller 155 tire. But, is that necessarily better. What I am wondering about is flex in the sidewall. Won't the taller sidewall of the 165 have more flex in hard turns than the 155? If it does, is that better or worse? While I'm not thrilled about the idea of alterations to the speedometer, to me, that is secondary to handling performance, especially when leaning in the turns. My second question is about the sidewalls themselves. Some of the CT's are single ply, and some are two-ply. Is either one better than the other? Any and all input would be greatly appreciated. Don from Harrisburg, Pa

According to the info that I found, the M/C tire is 25.4" diameter and the Kumho C/T is the same. Even 2 up I can't tell that there is much squish or flex in the tire. I have heard of the handling being "different" (not worse, just different) with a car tire, but I can say that I haven't had that except once when I lowered my air pressure to 35lbs as a test.

If you can find a 2-ply sidewall then, of course it's better. I've never found any info on my Kumho on the sidewall plys.

And as far as the speedo, every Yamaha reads about 7-8% fast so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

If you haven't done it yet, check out the DarkSiders forum at The Darksiders