IGNORED

trike blue prints.

hipshot

i seem to have an "knack" for asking the wrong questions!

maybe ,i'll have to "create" a set of prints!

just jt

Hip ,

We must be thinking alike !

At MB Bike Week , I came to the conclusion I am going to build a trike in the future project myself. From all the possible ideas , I am going to start searching the boneyards for a compact front wheel drive cage . Chop it down as the rear-end (motor/transmission/drive-line) and stick a springer front end on it . Being an automatic with reverse , wife will be able to control it herself . Might even keep the A/C Heat in tack . Make a fiberglass body with covertable top .

Gene

i seem to have an "knack" for asking the wrong questions!

maybe ,i'll have to "create" a set of prints!

just jt

Some years back, a feller I knew built a kind of chopper trike out of an 85 Maxim. It was more or less a bare bones kinda thing with a little pick-up bed. Id was cute. He used the rear differential from a Suzuki Samari I think. Said the banjo off-set was right.

DJ :mo money:

I'm thinkin about a new 1st.gen for myself one day. I sure would like to trike the '83; but i have no idea where to start.

I'd like to keep the venture power plant (engine) But i have no idea what type of rear end would lend itself to the project.

Any ideas....................???

Ok guys check out this site

mtcvoyager.com. They came up with a way to convert the bike to a trike and put it back to two wheels without any alterations to your bike. You may not wanna pay the $4095 they're asking but I dont see why you couldn't make something similar yourself........Don

don, i don't want a "sorta" trike!

i want one that is just as real , and just as pretty as the honda goldwing trikes!

i have found out, that the "standard" third member, being used , is a 7.5" ford rear end.at least that is a starting point.

just jt

O K I guess you dont want training wheels. Which is basically what that kit is. But I doubt any manufacturer is gonna just let you copy their conversion kit. So blue prints are probably gonna be hard to come by. Gonna cost ya more to make it a trike than it cost to buy the darn bike to start with LOL. Good luck.........Don

james. i'm gonna do some checking, this week end, to see what width's and gear ratios are available, in my area. i figure, if i find the right third member, everything else should be easier to locate/fabricate.

keep us posted ,if you stumble upon anything.

just jt

OK, i have built a few trikes, and i have looked at my 86 vr thinking about making a trike. the easy way to make with a 1g is cut down a rear end to 38 in. brake backing to backing you need to off set the 3rd member about 3 in.

get rid of the mono and swing arm . use 11 gage 11/2 squire tubing and build a 4 link to the rearend the top 2 links come from where the the top of the mono was mounted and the bottom two links from where the swing arms were. the drive shaft can be made by using the front of the vr u joint and the rear u joint that fits the rearend . i like the combow air bags and shocks from airride , they cost the most but are the easyest to use or you can use coilover shocks, ones from a heave m/c are best. it is not that hard to make a trike if you can weld and use metal tools you can get the rear cut down at most auto machine shops.the best way to start is to get a old vr frame [ ask don ] and fab everything up before taking apart your bike . use 14 in narrow tires , easyer to steer

well this is a start if you need more info pm me

thom:parrots: