IGNORED

JB - How's the Ignition switch replacement?

JB - did you get er done? I have my old one out and am just waiting on the big brown truck for my new one. When I took the old switch apart the wafer-like plate where the contacts are was cracked. That may have been part of my problem.

If you take the new one apart you can use the upper piece of the old one and lower of the new one and use the same key as your trunks and gas cap.

If not you will need to carry two keys

BRad

Glead you got your done. As for me I got the tank and other items out of the way last night and plan on tackling the rest tonight. How did you get the bolts out of the switch? Where did you get the new switch? I bought a slavage switch off a 2005 (ebay) and need new ( does anyone know exact size etc?) bolts and the Yammi dealer said they only sell the bolts with the new switches. I guess I will have to improvise. I have a bolt extractor and I have a dremmel so I guess I can get the old switch off. I am going to add the extra toggle anyway though.

Now what is this about using the top of the old switch and bottom of the new to allow me to use the same OLD keys?

Can someone explaing How I do this. Remember I am new at this and intellectually challenged. LOL LOL

jb :hurts:

JB - I got the bolts out by first using a sharp drill. The material is softer tahan a standard bolt. Then I used a proper sized bolt extractor and they both came right. Not any problems at all.

I ordered the new switch from Zanotti's per a reference here on the site. $118 delivered.

I am going to get the bolts from a local hardware store. They seem pretty standard.

Have fun!

Glad to hear you got yours completed.

Well the switch is still not here. Bought salvage on ebay last week. However, I went ahead and used the info gleaned here and installed the toggle switch. I connected the toggle to the back side of the plug to the switch on the 2 line red-and blue/brown wires. I ran the wire under the tank support area and down and behind the battery. Here you have a rubber plug hoel with a rubber plug in it and the material is like plastic or fibreboard. I thought about trying to create a hole in the backing but instead took out the rubber plug and cut a hole in it and attached the toggle to it and reeinserted in back into the hole it plugs. Now if I have a problem I can reach back under the seat and behind the battery and easily reach the switch. Not sure now if I will go through the trouble of replacing the switch until I have more trouble. I guess it depends on when the switch shows up. I still have a clutch slave cylinder rebuild to do this weekend as well as a clearview windshield and RK mufflers to install.

Thanks everyone who contributed to this. Without this site I would be paying the local Yami dealer for something that is not that hard with the expert info available here.

Thanks ALL

jb :bighug::bighug:

You can take the contacts out of the new ignition switch and place them into your old switch. It really isn't the switch that goes bad - just the electrical portion. Take out 2 philipps head screws and voila the contacts are in your hands! I have my old ones out just waiting on the new switch to arrive. see this article for details http://www.venturers.org/Tech_Library/index.php?action=article&cat_id=002007&id=245

Glead you got your done. As for me I got the tank and other items out of the way last night and plan on tackling the rest tonight. How did you get the bolts out of the switch? Where did you get the new switch? I bought a slavage switch off a 2005 (ebay) and need new ( does anyone know exact size etc?) bolts and the Yammi dealer said they only sell the bolts with the new switches. I guess I will have to improvise. I have a bolt extractor and I have a dremmel so I guess I can get the old switch off. I am going to add the extra toggle anyway though.

Now what is this about using the top of the old switch and bottom of the new to allow me to use the same OLD keys?

Can someone explaing How I do this. Remember I am new at this and intellectually challenged. LOL LOL

jb :hurts:

JB,

Took a chunk of the bolt I removed from the ignition switch down to the local hardward store and they fixed me up licketysplit. I had an option but went with the allen head.

Now if the brown truck would show up I could be riding this weekend!