IGNORED

motorcycle trailer swivel hitch coupler

PGunn

I thought the Heim joint idea was a good one also, until I tried it on my trailer. A heim joint is not designed to take a side load as this application would be. I probably run one 1000 miles on my trailer and it was totally wore out. Went with my own design swivel hitch with a small ball from a camper anti sway bar. Mike

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought the Heim joint idea was a good one also, until I tried it on my trailer. A heim joint is not designed to take a side load as this application would be. I probably run one 1000 miles on my trailer and it was totally wore out. Went with my own design swivel hitch with a small ball from a camper anti sway bar. Mike

Don't suppose you'd like to share some pictures?

Joe

Guest tx2sturgis

This is weird...maybe the heim joint that you used was defective?

Quality issues maybe?

Dunno...but heim joints are designed to take side loads....thats exactly what they are for.

Mine lasted thousands of miles....but I dont pull it anymore, so I dont know what it would have done after say, 25,000 miles or 100,000 miles.

They do have a service life, so I suspect replacement in the future will be necessary if I ever put it back in service.

:happy34:

This is weird...maybe the heim joint that you used was defective?

Quality issues maybe?

Dunno...but heim joints are designed to take side loads....thats exactly what they are for.

Mine lasted thousands of miles....but I dont pull it anymore, so I dont know what it would have done after say, 25,000 miles or 100,000 miles.

They do have a service life, so I suspect replacement in the future will be necessary if I ever put it back in service.

That's what I was thinking too, Brian. Those Cat 1 upper links last for decades, and they bear most of the weight when raising or lowering farm implements...that's a lot more stress than pulling a lil' 'ol mc trailer. And...if/when it wears out it costs about $22 to replace. Wait, that's not right...I still have the other end since I cut it in half. So it won't cost anything to replace the first time.

Joe

Bushtec hitch?

http://www.wildcatforums.net/forum/attachments/wildcat-suspension-modifications/10928d1371655948-evolution-powersports-t6061-aluminum-hd-aluminum-tie-rods-hd-heim-joints-evops_wildcat_steering_rods_close.jpg

Nope! Tie rod ends. Aluminum and stainless with Teflon.

Perhaps a bit more expensive than a Bushtec hitch coupler, though. $240 pair. Pretty, though.

What king of weight can you pull with that. The bush tech trailer is a lot smaller then my Martrix Rover. My trailer weighs 190 empty and about 450 full. My concern is will that ball grin down the outer diameter ring

My trailer weighs 150 empty. I have carried 200 pounds in it.

One thing to think about...when you are pulling, the hitch does not have the full load applied to it all the time. Once rolling there is minimal force on any component of the hitch. Starting, stopping, hard turns produce more force, but not as much as we probably imagine.

In my uneducated opinion...it would take a lot more than 450 pounds of pressure to wear down the steel components. The top link for PTO usage undergoes much more pressure and stress in its everyday usage than we will ever put on it pulling a small cargo trailer that rolls on wheels.

Joe

Guest tx2sturgis
What king of weight can you pull with that. The bush tech trailer is a lot smaller then my Martrix Rover. My trailer weighs 190 empty and about 450 full. My concern is will that ball grin down the outer diameter ring

Probably. Lots of things eventually wear out. Given enough time. Same with standard polished hitch balls, brake pads, human hip joints, the water pump in your car, and oil.

But we still use them. And like all the others, the heim joint is replaceable, so your grandkids that inherit the bike and trailer will be in good shape!

And when used for the lighter trailers they are fine. Would I pull a 10,000 pound camper with one?

Probably not.

:moon:

Probably. Lots of things eventually wear out. Given enough time. Same with standard polished hitch balls, brake pads, human hip joints, the water pump in your car, and oil.

But we still use them.

And when used for the lighter trailers they are fine. Would I pull a 10,000 pound camper with one?

Probably not.

:moon:

Me either. In fact, I wouldn't pull a 1000 pound anything with a motorcycle regardless of the type of hitch! Not worth the risk.

Guest tx2sturgis
Me either. In fact, I wouldn't pull a 1000 pound anything with a motorcycle regardless of the type of hitch! Not worth the risk.

We seem to agree on some things....I must be slipping!

Usually I'm the guy with the 'out-of-the-box' viewpoints!

Actually my '10,000 pound' reference was for a camper pulled behind a pickup or SUV...using a small heim joint there would probably not be wise. But they are fine for 200-500 pound trailers pulled by a motorcycle.

My rule of thumb for bike trailers is...the smaller the better.

The larger the trailer, the more it impacts handling, braking, ride enjoyment, safety, and of course, driveline wear.

But I realize that some folks want to load up mama, the pooch, and 500 pounds of junk to keep mama and the pooch happy for 3 weeks in the mountains or crossing 25 states in the summer.

Not my preferred way to travel, but for them, it is. And it turns out that the Venture, the GoldWing, and several other touring bikes have plenty of power for doing exactly that!

We seem to agree on some things....I must be slipping!

Usually I'm the guy with the 'out-of-the-box' viewpoints!

Actually my '10,000 pound' reference was for a camper pulled behind a pickup or SUV...using a small heim joint there would probably not be wise. But they are fine for 200-500 pound trailers pulled by a motorcycle.

My rule of thumb for bike trailers is...the smaller the better.

The larger the trailer, the more it impacts handling, braking, ride enjoyment, safety, and of course, driveline wear.

But I realize that some folks want to load up mama, the pooch, and 500 pounds of junk to keep mama and the pooch happy for 3 weeks in the mountains or crossing 25 states in the summer.

Not my preferred way to travel, but for them, it is. And it turns out that the Venture, the GoldWing, and several other touring bikes have plenty of power for doing exactly that!

Aw, heck...we agree on dang near everything. And if I was you I'd be worried about that!

Joe