IGNORED

2nd gen left front engine guard replacement

... my god.

has anyone tackled this one. I don't even wanna go there without about 30 digital pictures along the way. hell, i could've just been a neurosurgeon or something.

seriously, i would appreciate any tips or advise. the only other engine guard i've replace was on a silverado 1100 and i did it in the driveway without even letting the wife know i had a crash.

this thing is INTEGRATED with hoses, wires, moldings, etc, etc, etc... unbelievable. I guess that'll teach me to lay it down huh!!!!

I strongly suggest adding some support on these guys. Especially if you are going to hang highway pegs. Here is a link to the tech info.

Yup that is in the works. I should have done it beforehand I've had an extra set of those clamps for a couple of years just been too lazy to put them on. However, the bracing won't keep the pavement from grinding the bars down only keeps them from bending and cracking the fairing lowers.

After you do yours post it cause at some point I'll have to do mine. The left one is more expensive than the right one which is odd to me. And they are both too expensive and they are so flimsy.

I haven't had a good hard look at the right one, but when the new part arrived, I was pretty surprised to see all the brackets and guides and braces and wire looms and what-not welded to the basic engine guard tube. I knew right then I was in for a treat.

One day I'll get one of Carbon-1's jack mods, for now I'll have to work from the ground or try to come up with a temporary jack mod myself.

I'll try to document the process w/ words and pics and get it out here when I;m done.

A friend up here who traded his RSTD for a Harley gave me his hardly used Clymer's. It's for 96-03 models, but I think it's gonna be 90% the same as my 08.

I took my time, took lots of pics, and made a lot of notes and managed to gracefully get both engine guards off the bike.

Off to the parts store to get some locktite and zip ties. I'll have a pretty good little step by step when i'm done. I'll be sure and upload it (if i can figure out how to do that).

Had to replace the left on mine, really was not that bad of a job, i did not take any pics but it only took about 30 minutes to do....also found that on the new guard the metal tabs that mount it to the bike were much thicker than the original by almost an 1/8 inch.