IGNORED

outer banks of n.c. ride

wvbiker

Looking for ideas, advice, or whatever to enjoy the Outer Banks on motorcycle. We will be starting in WV going to Virginia beach then heading south. Want to spend 3 days checking things out then we will end up in Mrytle beach. Thanks

Well there's the wright memorial, Lost colony, aquarium, plus the light houses. Here's a link. http://www.outerbanks.org/

Hwy 12 takes you down to Hatteras then you can take the ferry over to ocracoke. Depending on how much you want to spend on hotels you may want to avoid staying on the outerbanks. Hotel prices are still up there till the end of the season. You can always head over to the mainland. If you like history you can head in to see somerset place, it's free because it's state run. http://www.nchistoricsites.org/somerset/somerset.htm

If you want any more info let me know. I live on the mainland side of the albemarle sound. Hope this gets you started.

Margaret

• 1 month later...

I just got back from riding Hwy 12 up through the outer banks. I started out on Friday riding to Swan Quarter to stay the night. I then took the 7am ferry to Ocracoke Island Saturday morning. I then followed Hwy 12 across the ferry to Hatteras Island up into Kill Devil Hills. I did the typical stops at each light house and the wright memorial like mini-muffin stated in her post. If you are up to walking 287 steps on a spiral staircase, then stop at Cape Hatteras lighthouse for a walk up to the top of the lighthouse. It is a beautiful view of the island from the top. I only had one day to enjoy this part of the NC coast but it was a great trip for one. The stretches where you ride through the national seashore is great since there is no houses blocking your view of either side of the island. You can see the sound and the ocean from some points not blocked by the huge dunes on the islands. I hope to go back when I have more time to explore more. I hope you have a wonderful ride down the coast.