veep1

Is the chirp a warranty item? From what I have read here It seems that it can sometimes be solved, but not always. Is it a transmission or engine noise?

There are several places a chirp noise can come from, but THE CHIRP that may or may not be curable is from the gears on the clutch basket if I have my info right.

Sometimes switching to synthetic oil will reduce it enough to not be annoying, as in the case of my RSV, others have had to have the clutch basket replaced with the I basket, and others have not been able to get rid of it at all.

veep,

Ok, did you by any chance come to the Venture from a V-Twin? I suspect too many people get a Venture misunderstanding just what it is. Let me stress that this may not apply to you, and I'm NOT trying to be offensive. The Venture is a sport bike engine with a cruiser wrapped around it. Mine only sounds like an angry sewing machine when I'm loading it under three grand. My solution was buy a tach and not load it all that heavily below three grand. It's much happier at five, six, or yes, even seven. (Dyna3000 @ 3/7250.)

Yes, it's true you can shift straight to fifth at 40 and ride it anyway, (about 1600 rpms or so - gaah) but it could be that the whine/chirp it its way of telling you it's angry with you about where in its power band you're running it. (I swear I'm not trying to upset anyone, just offering a suggestion.)

If you're past break in (Or not, shouldn't matter - racers break engines in hard claiming it helps seat the rings - I dunno. I suspect they're trading bearings for rings. Still, I rode mine like I was planning on riding it anyway. Not hard, just firm.), I'd suggest you take it out and run it up against the rev limiter enough times to get used to the sound it makes about a second before it cuts out. It'll run all day there. You'll get crappy mileage, but you won't hear any whine. You'll also have a really good time dusting almost everything else around.

Riding buddies complaining? Seems to me they need to catch up to hear it. Why let 'em? I've surprised so many of the guys at Navistar that nobody hassles me anymore. The guys at the bar across the street won't mess around anymore either. Buncha girls. (Sorry ladies.) Of course they all have that really cool potato potato potato sound. Mine just screams like a banshee. Having grown up within earshot of the 500 that's cool by me. I don't need no steenkin' I basket. :)

Papa Bear, if you're getting howl from the rear end grease the hub fingers. Not just the splines. (Just a guess. They pretty much all need it at first.) Woops, just saw you're a First Genner.

The V-Max makes the same noise. Heard one heading up the hill next to the Deal's Gap parking lot and had to do a retake. Sounded just like a Second Gen. I'll bet the First Gen would if it had all the plastic off, or was above you so you heard the noise coming from the bottom end. They're all pretty much the same engine.

Ok, I'm done (donning fire retardant suit). Just my :2cents:

Edited by Bummer
Improperly placed apostrophe - tsk tsk shame on me.

Is the chirp a warranty item? From what I have read here It seems that it can sometimes be solved, but not always. Is it a transmission or engine noise?

It should be a warranty item. Depending on which dealer you take it to for work you may have to push them to get with Yamaha and get it covered.

From what I've gathered it's a one time thing. They will replace the clutch basket one time under warranty. It seems that it's mostly a hit or miss proposition though. Sometimes it takes the sound away, sometimes just moves it in the rpm band.

This may be wrong, someone else will have to chime in and tell me if I'm wrong, but I believe they will change the basket to the I basket and, if it makes it worse or it doesn't meet your approval they will change it back to the old basket as well. However, like I said, that may be wrong information.

veep,

Ok, did you by any chance come to the Venture from a V-Twin? I suspect too many people get a Venture misunderstanding just what it is. Let me stress that this may not apply to you, and I'm NOT trying to be offensive. The Venture is a sport bike engine with a cruiser wrapped around it. Mine only sounds like an angry sewing machine when I'm loading it under three grand. My solution was buy a tach and not load it all that heavily below three grand. It's much happier at five, six, or yes, even seven. (Dyna3000 @ 3/7250.)

Hey Bummer,

Since you have a tach and all, assuming that you have the stock rear end, could you let me know what RPM you're running in 4th at exactly 55mph. and then what RPM it is at 60mph?

My chirp shows up in 2nd at 35 to 40, in 3rd at 45 to 50, in 4th from 55 to 60 and, in 5th from about 70 to 75... roughly

Would be nice to know what RPM range that is. If you would be so inclined as to notice that sometime on one of your rides.

Bummer, I have got to agree with you!

I have owned a couple of larger Sport Bikes and, even though I've only owned my RSV for about 2 months, it drives alot like a sport bike. By that I mean, the power band of this V4 is MUCH higher then my last bike (Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Classic). I do hear the chirp and the whine at lower RPMs but not so much when the bike is running through or "in" the power band. It took me about 1000 miles to relize that I was back to driving (like you said) "a sport bike engine wrapped around a Touring Bike".

I had a choice between a 2001 Goldwing and my 99 RSV I am SO glad I picked the RSV. It's a real pleaseure to ride!

Like you Bummer It's just my 2 cents....:thumbsup2:

:Venture:

Hey veep1,

I have an 05 rsv and the chirp was bad. My dealer replaced the clutch basket with the I basket and the chirp and whine is completely gone. With some bikes it just changes the rpms where you hear the chirp and some say it doesn't make any change. I don't understand why but it is something yamaha needs to correct.

Hey Bummer,

Since you have a tach and all, assuming that you have the stock rear end, could you let me know what RPM you're running in 4th at exactly 55mph. and then what RPM it is at 60mph?

My chirp shows up in 2nd at 35 to 40, in 3rd at 45 to 50, in 4th from 55 to 60 and, in 5th from about 70 to 75... roughly

Would be nice to know what RPM range that is. If you would be so inclined as to notice that sometime on one of your rides.

Just going from memory here, but in 5th gear, I think 3,000 RPM is turning an acutal 70MPH (or an indicated 76). That would put your whine about 2,500 - 3,000 RPM. If it is loud, then that would be a particularly bad range for most riding. Sorry to hear it. Good luck on getting it fixed,

Goose

Just going from memory here, but in 5th gear, I think 3,000 RPM is turning an acutal 70MPH (or an indicated 76). That would put your whine about 2,500 - 3,000 RPM. If it is loud, then that would be a particularly bad range for most riding. Sorry to hear it. Good luck on getting it fixed,

Goose

Actually, most of the riding is on the highway, right now, @ an indicated 78. When I'm running 55 in 4th is the most annoying and it's a 99 so it's not going to be warranty and it's not getting done anytime in the near future. At this point I don't want to run the risk of the chirp moving into a more used range and screwing everything up.

One thing that helped, some, is the Clearview windshield. It's actually taken the highest pitch component out of it or lessened it so it's a LOT more tolerable now.

It's hard to know what noise one is talking about when they say "Chirp". The V4 in the venture has a distinct sound while its running, this is what I call the "Chirp". There is the clutch basket issue which I have also heard and that is a scream, that is covered under warranty. Just trying to throw in a little bit of clairfication so your not on a wild goose chase. Also it was mentioned about perhaps not being used to the power range on the bike. you can spin the g2 up past 7K rpms and it isn't an issue. It is a total different beast if your coming off a Vtwin.

Hey Bummer,

All of those put you at 2500 to 3000 rpms.

Fourth gear - 55 mph - 3000rpm exactly.

Fourth gear - 60 mph - 3300rpms within 100 or so.

Fifth gear - 70 mph - 3000rpms.

All with an uncorrected speedo and stock gearing.

My 06 was chirping so loud that I had to wear ear plugs. Had the I basket installed under warranty and it is completely gone. Also using syn oil and I thing that helps. I came off a V-star 1100 and this is truly a different beast. Love the bike now that the chirp is gone. If your dealer is not up to speed on the I basket, do a sarch on this forum and get the part number and the service bulletin number from Yamaha and show it to him.