IGNORED

Motor Noise

Guest Shortrider

Guest Shortrider

Hi Everyone, My 06 RSTD with 2,000 miles on it now has developed a noise which sounds like the fan is hitting the radiator. It's a metal sound like the fan hitting the radiator but I'm sure it's not. I hear so much about the chirp but this does not sound like a chirp and I only get it at a low rpm. 20 mph in second, 30 mph in third and 40 in 4th. It's only for about a 5 mph range that it does it. So like 3rd is the most noticeable and only from about 29 to 34 mph. Don't know if maybe it's the clutch basket hitting a little at the low rpm. It drives me CRAZY!!!!! Any thoughts???Thanks, Shortrider

Guest JGorom

Dittios on WillCruise's post....get it into the dealer...that is what your warranty is for!

Could be a loose part somewhere that has decided to dance with another part for awhile...I'd get it in and let Yamaha wrestle with your dilemma, but we will expect you to report the results back here for others assistance.

PS...This wouldn't be the first time something wasn't tightened or greased as it should have been.

Later...

• 2 years later...

Don't know if you got this fixed yet, but did sounds like the same problem that I was having. My mechanic at Cochise Motor Sports, Sierra Vista AZ found the problem. It was one of the Covers (Upper or lower) off the front fork that was the making the noise.

Sounds to me like maybe your bike is just complaining about not being ridden enough - 2,000 miles in three years is definitely neglect!

Sorry that doesn't help your problem - I really have no idea, but as said above, you DO have a warranty, so take it in. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Hi Everyone, My 06 RSTD with 2,000 miles on it now has developed a noise which sounds like the fan is hitting the radiator. It's a metal sound like the fan hitting the radiator but I'm sure it's not. I hear so much about the chirp but this does not sound like a chirp and I only get it at a low rpm. 20 mph in second, 30 mph in third and 40 in 4th. It's only for about a 5 mph range that it does it. So like 3rd is the most noticeable and only from about 29 to 34 mph. Don't know if maybe it's the clutch basket hitting a little at the low rpm. It drives me CRAZY!!!!! Any thoughts???Thanks, Shortrider

Your description sounds just like what my chirp sounds like. It's a RPM dependent thing. In 4th, cruising along at 55, it's pretty loud on mine. If you can get it to a point where your just cruising and the chirp is loud try letting off on the throttle slightly and see if it disappears. I've got a slight hill on the way to work that I'll always let off the throttle slightly, to maintain speed, that's when I notice that it goes away. So it seems that it just happens under "stress".