IGNORED

Utopia Backrest

Guest Deerjunky

Guest Deerjunky

I finally decided to buy the Utopia Backrest for my 06, and it is a quality product to say the least. It adjusts backwards, forwards, and up and down. It has one engineering flaw in my humble opinion---the tube presses so hard into the passenger pillion that it actually distorts its shape. They provide a protective shield to keep it from tearing the seat, but it still distorts the shape.

The comfort level is very good. My stock seat is still uncomfortable, but I am looking at a pad by Butt Buffer and Comfort Max. Anyone have either of those? Anyway, its another step towards more comfort on the longer rides. :clap2: Jim:)

Guest OldDog

In reply to your message about the Utopia backrest and the Butt Buffer pad, I have just purchased a new backrest and am very pleased with it. I haven't noticed the problem with it pressing excessively into the passenger's seat, at least not yet.

I have used a Butt Buffer for years on my old cycle and was very pleased with it, but when I tried it on my new RSV it added just enough to the seat height to make me slightly uneasy. Some of that is probably because the bike is new to me, too.

Guest Deerjunky
In reply to your message about the Utopia backrest and the Butt Buffer pad, I have just purchased a new backrest and am very pleased with it. I haven't noticed the problem with it pressing excessively into the passenger's seat, at least not yet.

I have used a Butt Buffer for years on my old cycle and was very pleased with it, but when I tried it on my new RSV it added just enough to the seat height to make me slightly uneasy. Some of that is probably because the bike is new to me, too.

I think we have two different bikes. You have the RSV and I have the RSTD (which I did not specify). But I appreciate your input about the Butt Buffer. I like the looks of them, and they are priced about the same as the rest of the pads out there. Jim

Do yourself a favor and check out any canoe outfitter places if you have them around. I was in one a couple weeks ago and they have the GEL seatpads shaped exactly to fit a large MC for around $30-40 bucks. In talking with the staff their they said they sell a lot to MC riders. They are basically the same exact thing as Butt Buffers but much cheaper.

If you decide to go with a Gel Pad I highly suggest that you DON'T have it installed in the seat. I did that once and it was a "BIG" mistake. They absorb the heat and release it on your backside with a vengeance. LOL :225::225:

Guest Deerjunky
Do yourself a favor and check out any canoe outfitter places if you have them around. I was in one a couple weeks ago and they have the GEL seatpads shaped exactly to fit a large MC for around $30-40 bucks. In talking with the staff their they said they sell a lot to MC riders. They are basically the same exact thing as Butt Buffers but much cheaper.

If you decide to go with a Gel Pad I highly suggest that you DON'T have it installed in the seat. I did that once and it was a "BIG" mistake. They absorb the heat and release it on your backside with a vengeance. LOL :225::225:

Thanks bud, I will start looking around for a canoe outfitter. Should be some within a nice bike riding distance.

I have head the same things about gel seats too.

Here's another option to think about--how about those wooden beads for a seat pad? Anyone have experience with those? I have read that they really allow air flow under the old britches. Could be a cheaper alternative with the same effect! Jim

Yeah I have heard of people getting those bead car seats from Wally world and cutting them down and retying them. From all accounts they are really nice on long rides. Me I'll stick with a sheepskin, they are cool in the summer and warm in the winter. Don't ask me how, it just works that way. I didn't believe it until I got one for myself.

Check out this link: http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?p=83439#post83439

BTW I have a Utipia backrest on my RSV and I really love it. Was a pain it the back side to install, but well worth the time and energy spent. It has a lot of adjustability built into it. I had the Diamond R on my first RSV and I ended up having to adjust it to it's limits and still had to bend the bar back to get the comfort level I wanted. With the Utopia I still have room to adjust and it's so simple to do even while sitting at a stop light.

• 3 weeks later...

I just finally got my Utopia backest on my RSV. I'm not sure I can keep it on there but I'll ride it a few times before I decide. I'm 6'5 and this really changes things. I'm pushed forward some and my knees are too close to the end of the bars now. My feet are even pushed forward too far. If I don't get used to it I'll list it on here if anyone wants to buy it. I'll sell it well below what we paid for it.

I bought the Diamond R backrest and it did the same thing. It pushed me forward and it distorts the passenger seat slightly. Have to live with the passenger part. BUT , It took the backrest off its mount and mounted it to the backside of the mount and it does not push me up on the tank anymore.

I have the Utopia Back Rest on an 05 RSTD and have been using a butt pad made of sheepskin, I don't know how it compares with the others but its a lot better than the bare seat. I got mine from Alaska Leathers, you can look at their products at alaskaleathers.com.

KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN.............................

• 5 years later...

Here is a link that may hehttp://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=how%20to%20cut%20a%20bead%20seat%20for%20a%20motorcycle&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CG0QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kawasakimotorcycle.org%2Fforum%2Fkawasaki-cruisers%2F112092-wooden-bead-seat-cover.html&ei=dPrVT67jHcj50gGl452KAw&usg=AFQjCNGc6bubeOPYk7OLeA5RYVebTPyefw&cad=rjalp you with this project.

We use the sheepskin ourselves, but it is an interesting option we may do someday. If this link does not work, just google How to cut Bead seat for motorcycles. This one was on a Kawasaki site, with photos.

Yama Mama

Seats ....

Okay, suppose you can't afford a Russel Day Long, which is about the only seat you can really ride consecutive 1000+ mile days, but they are expensive ...

Beads are mixed. Some love them, some hate them. Beadrider.com makes biker versions and they are highly rated. Their is a problem though .... They seem to fit some riders better than others.

It does appear that those with skinny butts simply feel the beads, and find them uncomfortable. Those who are ... er ... better "upholstered" tend to like them. I am of the skinny persuasion.

Gel Pads .... are almost universally disliked. They flatter to deceive. Fine at first then they become uncomfortable, or hot or ...

Airhawk ... Most like them. Some riders find the "floating" sensation a bit disconcerting. I did at first but after a while you get used to it. I have the Airhawk 2 Custom R. It works. The key is to getting the correct inflation. You need very little air in those things. Too much and it will be too hard.

Sheepskin ... There is no need to pay "Alaskan" prices for a sheepskin. Mine is superb, fully covers both seats and cost $30 on eBay. Added to the Airhawk it has been a major improvement.

There are no shortcuts here. If your riding consists of casual and short (under 2 to 300 mile) daytrips, you will probably get away with the stock seat with maybe a sheepskin to help.

If you plan to stay in the saddle longer than that, most will need to make some mods. There are lots of things you can do from the Rick Butler Mod right up to a custom seat.

Whatever, it will be money well spent and if I could afford it, I'd go straight to the Russel and cut out all the cheaper fixes.