IGNORED

good news and bad

Guest hamdavid

Guest hamdavid

Ok got my bike today and radiator is not busted but looks like footpeg was driven into thermostat housing. I think its the thermostat housing its a plastic tube with a 90 about 4 or 5 inches long.I am including photos is this a hard part to replace? Or does someone know the exact term for it so I can ask aroound.

Thanks,

Hamdavid

Nope, not the thermostat housing, but you will have to remove the water pump or the thermostat to replace it. It feeds the pump from the thermostat. Look it up at www.flatoutmotorcycles.com under the parts finder, water pump section. Great prices, tell them you're with Venturerider when you order.

It's quite a common occurence when the bike is dropped.

Dan

Its called the "Joint" in the water pump section of the parts microfiche. I had this happen and it sucks. Low side crash and the crash bar takes out the plastic pipe and all your fluid leaks out and then your stuck. Didnt the 83 have a regular hose? I took off the water pump its just a few bolts. I would order a gasket for the pump and new o rings for the joint. I put the joint into water pump first and then held the gasket in place using the long cover bolts in the pump holes to hold in place while I guided the joint into the thermostat housing. Also make sure the water pump lines up with the gear inside there when putting back together.

• 4 years later...

I got the same problem recently. Crashbar destroys the Joint.

Bought mc used and could see from previous owner had some drops and flange from crashbar wore it amost completely through and of course I had my drop and broke it thru.

Whoever designed the crashbar should be shot. Too cheap to extend it to the frame more and away from the joint part.

So, best way to replace it is taking the water pump off?

Can it be done without removing anything but the plastic joint? Trying to find a easy quick solution without removing more parts to lose or break.

While I had my engine guard off to replace the elbow, I ground down the flange, and rounded the edges, so that I would have to bend the bracket farther before it could hit the elbow again. Touched up the bare spots where the chrome was removed with some chrome spray paint to prevent rust, and you will not find what I did unless you are really looking for it.

Usually what happens is that when the bike is dropped on the right side, the crash bar will bend back far enough to nick the elbow, and then spring back into its normal position of looking like there is plenty of clearance as soon as you pick the bike back up. BUT that nick will eventually turn into a leak.