IGNORED

Tell The Truth- Do You Always Wear A Helmet?

Yama Mama

Do you always wear a helmet?  

782 members have voted

1. 1. Do you always wear a helmet?

• I always wear a helmet when I ride.
    • I wear my helmet sometimes.
    • I refuse to wear a helmet.

I crashed in Co. (helmet free state) at 110mph in 1982. I was wearing a helmet for the first time that week. I got a concussion and 100 stitches in my face. Might have been dead without it.

I live in Georgia (helmet sate) and I wear mine all of the time here. If I'm in Fl. (helmet free) and run to the store...it's a ball cap. On a ride in the twisties, or on the highway....it's a helmet.

But,......A helmet does not block your hearing or your vision enough to cause an accident. I have a 3/4 with speakers in it. I can hear what is going on around me even with the radio on. I know that I need to turn my head to see before I pull out into traffic, change lanes or make any move. If I'm driving my truck; FedEx or my 1950 GMC, I have to work within the limitations of that vehicle. It's the same with a bike and a helmet.

I believe you should make the decision to wear or not wear a helmet based on your own preferences (and/or state laws). Not on whether you can see, or hear, or any other crutch. You can see and hear with any helmet if you look and listen. You have to ride within whatever limitations that you set for yourself.

Edited by 86er

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest seuadr

atgatt myself. i've got true full face snell and dot rated lid. i even wear it when just moving the bike. i wear a CE rated jacket with armour plates, boots, pants, gloves, and helmet even if i am just running a few miles.

accidents don't only happen on long distance or high speed runs. i have a friend who's father in law cracked his skull and broke his arm falling over from a dead standstill in his own driveway.

just my :2cents:, though.

• 3 months later...

As I had posted earlier in this thread, I normally wear a 3/4 helmet. Due to the 100+ degree temps we've had lately though, I've decided to switch to a white half-helmet. Yeah, I know, that's what a lot of the motorcycle cops around these parts wear also. And it may be true that I look as silly as I feel with a half-helmet on. But the fact of the matter is that I'm not riding without one and the white half-helmet is a lot cooler to wear in hot weather than my lack 3/4 helmet.

• 3 weeks later...

I always wear a helmet, cuz I feel like a moron if I don't.

I look at it this way:

If some guy tried to walk across a busy street - with his eyes closes - you would call him a moron.

This is because by doing something as simple as opening his eyes, he might actually be able to cross without getting hit by a car. Doing something simple could save his life.

Putting on a helmet, is as simple a opening your eyes while crossing the street.

I have seen the results of head injury - and none of you would want to be a basket case like those I know who are - if only they had worn a helmet...

Edited by danrow55
spellink

Guest wrench

Every time the bike goes out of the driveway. I had an experience riding dirt bikes close to 40 years ago that had I not been wearing a helmet would have been a LOT worse than it was. I still have that old Fulmer halfie and when I see it from time to time it reminds me why I own 4 helmets. I'm usually wearing my half, but I have an open-face with the headset in it for when the wife is riding with me.

• 2 weeks later...

I wear a helmet about 99% of the time. Just this week though, I was tired, stopped to find something at K-mart instead of Wal Mart, trying to spread the business around, and it wasn't there (and of course everything a guy wants is at the extreme corner of any store), and I just hopped on the bike and rode the 1 mile home.

I believe in helmets though, and won't do any distance without one.

This question reminded me of how I hated wearing a helmet for the first few years after they passed a helmet law back in the late 60's here in Ontario. Amazing how you can get used to something once you have to.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I responded even though Georgia requires helmets, I spend a lot of time on the road including states that do not require helmets. I always wear one, prefer a 3/4 helmet.

What he said!!

I've worked to many fatalities not to and my son wants a street bike when he turns 16 and I feel I need to set the example.

:cop:

!00% of the time. If it's cold or raining I wear a modular. Rest of the time I wear a 1/2. It's kinda like the seatbelt laws. I didn't like it to start with, but now if I don't buckle up, within the first mile, something doesn't feel right and I tell everyone "I feel like I'm falling out". Ask a racecar driver if he would drive in any race without the a restraint system or a helmet. Same with a helmet. Once I start backing out of the carport, something doesn't feel right, then I remember there was something else I needed to do. The Good Lord kept my head from popping like a watermellon once when I was riding in a dunebuggy without seatbelt. My head was pushed literally down into the ground. That's a hard lesson to forget. I don't like Big Brother dictating what I should or should not do either, but statistics show saftey gear works more often than not.