IGNORED

Avon's

halfwitt

Oh no! Not another tire thread!!!!

Nah - just saying I ordered my new Venoms for my RSV. I just hope they live up to the hype! If so - thanks to all who swear by these! I am looking forward to a "new" ride in a couple of weeks. I have to wait until 8/8 which is the soonest I can get her in for inspection.

I bought the hype and 7500 miles later the rear's pooched and there ain't much left in the front... Hope you have better luck than me... And be careful on wet roads... they act like they're on ice.

Yeah, we know you don't like 'em - we've seen you state this like it is a carved-in-stone fact or something many times. But you never seem to acknowledge that you are possibly the only one who feels that way about them. What's up with that?

You might be able to drum up one or two others who will agree with you, but even if you can, you are in the smallest of minorities here on this subject. Your personal opinions on these tires, or anything else, are certainly valid for you, and do provide some valuable input for others - it is good to hear opposing views. But, ...

I'm not asking you to not say it, just consider both sides. When you know that virtually everyone else disagrees and thinks these tires wear very well and handle superbly in the wet, it would sure be nice to see you acknowledge that and say you disagree rather than the way you make statements of "fact." That is what would REALLY provide value to our members. Thanx for listening,

Goose

Goose, I am sure you are going to love the new Avons on your 2nd gen. I am going this afternoon to pick up a new Elite III for the back of my 1st gen. I think I have put about 11,000 miles on the Avon, and that is a bit more than I usually do. I plan to leave the Avon on the front and see how the Elite III does on the back. Others have stated this worked best for them. If the Avon worked good on the back of my 1st gen above 75mph, I would have totally loved them.

RandyA

I love the Avon's on mine. I've had them on for about 4 months and it really made a change in the way the bike rolled around the turns. I heard about them here and everyone is right about the improvement. Definitely easier to get in and out of the corners. The local shop that put them on for me told me the front was not correct (size wise) for the bike. I allmost imediately noticed a difference, not right away because they told me when you put a new set of tires be careful for a few miles, they tend to be slick at first. Plus, the front looks less fat. I like the more narrow tire. Not to mention, I got the white walls.....love the old scool look. Anyway, get em and take some corners.:thumbsup2:

I think since I've been posting "my Opinion" the "smallest of minorities" is growing daily... Some people are not as forward as me and might be intimidated and don't want to rock the boat.... perhaps we haven't seen or heard from more people because of the overwelming love affair with these tires... Maybe in fact that love affair has skewed the popularity of these tires.. Did you ever consider that?

The fact is I got 7500 miles out of a tire that some people are claiming to get 20,000 + out of... Yeah I'm a little ticked off paying 30% more for these than D404s and performing worse.. Maybe this comes across in my post.

Not sure about the "cold hard facts" issue you have with my posts... People are asking for opinions and I give mine... just because it doesn't happen to agree with yours doesn't mean it's somehow less valid than yours..

Besides if I'm the lone voice in the wilderness like you seem to think why does it bother you? People will dismiss me as nutjob and move on.

Goose I've met you and you seem like a nice guy and I don't want to get in a p--ing match with you... BUT your attempt to silence the minority is way out of line.. Just my opinion.

Guest Boomerbiker

I replaced the rear Avon prior to embarking on a six day 4197 mile tour from Coldwater to Glacier National Park and points in between. It had 13,600 miles and some tread left, but I didn't want to run it for 4000 additional miles. Coming back through Iowa last Thursday I was caught in a wild storm with buffeting cross winds and flooded roads. The tires were rock solid. Looking at the front tire (I run the smaller size) it looks like it will last x2 over the rear. Based on noise, feel, performance and durability, I believe, as others have pointed out that it is superior product to the Brickstones and Dunlops that come as OEM on the Venture. Yamaha reps certainly visit this site and it is a mystery why the company continues to equip the Venture with the Brickstones. Perhaps they will shed the tire if the second generation bike is replaced in the next 10 years or so with a new model. I'm not holding my breath and it is good to have other options.

Hey Goose, If the Maineac is only getting 7500 out of a set of Avons that most people are getting over 10k with then logically it comes down to ridng style. Everyone knows that the faster you excellerate, the faster you ride on average combined with the amount of weight being carried by the bike is the determining factor in how fast a tire wears.

So obviously the way Maineac rides and the amount of weight his bike has to carry is only giving him a limited amount of usage.

Lest just be greatful that this didn't start anothr C/T thread!:big-grin-emoticon:

PJ we all know what your saying is true and all the variances that affect tire wear ... but that's not the issue here now... Goose doesn't like the way I post my opinion... I really don't see how it's any different from some of the PRO Avon posts in this thread... except it's contrary..

And if there is anyone out here not impressed with Avons like myself they're not going to post it now... Not after MAINEAC the nay sayer get's taken to task by a Moderator in the middle of a thread.... That's what I'm talking about...

PJ we all know what your saying is true and all the variances that affect tire wear ... but that's not the issue here now... Goose doesn't like the way I post my opinion... I really don't see how it's any different from some of the PRO Avon posts in this thread... except it's contrary..

And if there is anyone out here not impressed with Avons like myself they're not going to post it now... Not after MAINEAC the nay sayer get's taken to task by a Moderator in the middle of a thread.... That's what I'm talking about...

First of all let me say thank you for appreciating the points i made about tire wear. I had hope i had made a good argument for why one rider might now get the same mileage as another.

Secondlt though, I think we're all mature enough to realize that Goose doesn't have a problem so much with a differeance of opinion that you may have with a product . Others have stated a differences that don't neccesarily agitate. Its more your delivery that can rub the nerves at times. Theres an intensity that has a tendency to come through over and over. It can be jarring at times and seemingly unneccesary KIND OF LIKE WHEN PEOPLE WRITE IN CAP'S ALL THE TIME!!! GET MY POINT!?!:big-grin-emoticon:

It would be a disservice if to others of differing opinions if they felt they shouldn't comment because of the way you may something draws fire from others. Have confidence in your differing opinion and don't feel the need to go in guns ablazing . You my find others will more readily back you up if your opinions are stated in a way that they can stand beside.

I hope you take this with the spirit of friendship with which it is intended.

Just put an Avon on the front but still have the stocker on the rear. Picked up a nail and was tired of riding around with a plug/patch in the front. Never had any problems but don't want to either. Will run it this way until the rear wears out and then I'll swap it. On the 40 or so miles I have put on the new front I don't really notice any difference. Time and mileage will tell.

I bought the hype and 7500 miles later the rear's pooched and there ain't much left in the front... Hope you have better luck than me... And be careful on wet roads... they act like they're on ice.

Anyone from the Great State of Maine can't be all bad! I definitely appreciate the input Mark. I hope the majority is right in this case since I just spent more than it cost me to put four tires on my car. I think if you take any given product, you won't find 100% satisfaction with it. I will let you know how the new ride is. I do respect anyone who will stand up with an unpopular minority opinion!

I sure can't explain why your experience with this tire is so different than most but my results so far have been much different. I can't attest to how many miles yet because I've only put maybe 3,000 miles on them. I can honestly say though that they stick like glue on wet roads. No problems at all. I was a little apprehensive after ordering them and then reading your reports but am glad to say that they have worked great for me. On my trip to Kitchener, I had the opportunity to test them on roads after a very light shower where they are normally VERY slick. No problems at all. Then outside of Buffalo where I made a very quick stop when a light went yellow on me. I probably should have just run it but decided to make the stop. Heavy brakes pulling a loaded trailer and no loss of traction at all. They have worked great.

I am NOT afraid to voice my honest opinion and if my experiences mirrored yours, I would certainly say so but it's simply not the case.

I sure can't explain why your experience with this tire is so different than most but my results so far have been much different. I can't attest to how many miles yet because I've only put maybe 3,000 miles on them. I can honestly say though that they stick like glue on wet roads. No problems at all. I was a little apprehensive after ordering them and then reading your reports but am glad to say that they have worked great for me. On my trip to Kitchener, I had the opportunity to test them on roads after a very light shower where they are normally VERY slick. No problems at all. Then outside of Buffalo where I made a very quick stop when a light went yellow on me. I probably should have just run it but decided to make the stop. Heavy brakes pulling a loaded trailer and no loss of traction at all. They have worked great.

I am NOT afraid to voice my honest opinion and if my experiences mirrored yours, I would certainly say so but it's simply not the case.

I am running Mich commanders - My last one stuck like glue on wet roads and this one is like ice. Got 12k out of the last one will have to wait on this one. Same brand, same model, same bike, same pressure, same fat a@@- totally different handling. I was starting to wonder if Mich made a "commander" trailer tire. Could be the same situation manieac has run into onthe avons.

Yeah, we know you don't like 'em - we've seen you state this like it is a carved-in-stone fact or something many times. But you never seem to acknowledge that you are possibly the only one who feels that way about them. What's up with that?

You might be able to drum up one or two others who will agree with you, but even if you can, you are in the smallest of minorities here on this subject. Your personal opinions on these tires, or anything else, are certainly valid for you, and do provide some valuable input for others - it is good to hear opposing views. But, ...

I'm not asking you to not say it, just consider both sides. When you know that virtually everyone else disagrees and thinks these tires wear very well and handle superbly in the wet, it would sure be nice to see you acknowledge that and say you disagree rather than the way you make statements of "fact." That is what would REALLY provide value to our members. Thanx for listening,

Goose

To be honest when I bought my RSV it had Avon Venoms that had 3000 miles on them. They never gave me a good feeling in the corners, especially in the rain. It felt as if I had to work to get the bike to turn into the corners, the bike wouldn't want to lean and when it did it snapped over farther than I wanted. I gave them a thousand miles or so and still hated the feel. Changed to Michelin Commanders and have been happy since.

So in fact there are others out there who don't like the Avon Venoms.

Everybody has their own preferences and that's fine. I know some who swear by Metzlers, go figure.

I might give the Dunlop Elite III's a try, they are about the only tire I haven't put on one of these bikes.

Anyone from the Great State of Maine can't be all bad! I definitely appreciate the input Mark. I hope the majority is right in this case since I just spent more than it cost me to put four tires on my car. I think if you take any given product, you won't find 100% satisfaction with it. I will let you know how the new ride is. I do respect anyone who will stand up with an unpopular minority opinion!

Maybe I got a pair of lemons... My Bro orders them from Parts Unlimited... He charges me list but that includes installation... Hey I mean it when I said I hope you have better luck than me... I was just letting you know about my experience..

For the record... Just in case anyones thinking it ... I have never done a smokeshow or burnout with my RSV... but I probably do ride a little more aggressive than most riders here... But I also get more mileage out of brakes than most... go figure

Good choice Randy you will like them. I have to add I only got 7,656 miles out of a Avon on the rear of the"Blue Beast" and the thread was showing in large spots but that was still the most miles I got out of anything on her. Would love to relive a few of those days. Well worth the price of the tire!!! Ride and handle GREAT.

I run Avons and I guess its just me but they stick like glue on wet roads..Corner better than any tire Ive ever had and that is all I will EVER put on my bike...If you air them properly they will be a great tire..I have 7000 miles on my current set and they still look new.Tom

I have about 6k on my second Avon rear and I am completely happy with the tread wear and handling in the rain. My issue is that this 6 month old tire is now developing small cracks around the bead that have me concerned. I'll keep an eye on this. I've had a lot of tire problems on my cage fleet and I'm a bit sensitive on this issue. Two of my small trucks and my minivan have experienced tread seperation on three different brand of tires. Wish I knew what's up with that.

When I replaced my first set of tires on my 1st gen, I went with the D404's as they were original equipment, that was a mistake, they only lasted a little over 7000 miles, the front was still useable, but I decided to replace them both with the Venoms after all the good feedback I got here. I am very pleased with the tires, really made my 1st Gen handle more like a sport bike than a tourer. I have over 12,000 miles on them and still look great with plenty of tread left. I reccomend them with confidence, the only problem I have with Avons now is they dont make them for my V Star 1300, I had to go to a different size on the rear, and guess what, the only ones that make that tire are Dunlop and Bridgestone, so I wasnt going there, the 404 on the V Star was shot at 7500 miles, I am waiting on the Avons to arrive so I can get them on my bike..............

In short, my opinion is Avons are the best tire out there, imho!!!:thumbsup2::thumbsup2: