IGNORED

Road King Mufflers

Guest Nightrider1300

Guest Nightrider1300

I was in one of my local independent bike shops today and found a new/ used(1 week) set of Road King mufflers very reasonable do I need any bushings, gaskets, special clamps or brackets to mane the switch, I have an 06 RSV and would like just a little more sound:cool10:

Guest BluesLover

I just did that to my 06 and really like the difference. Not too loud that I can't hear the radio (or the better half), but just enough difference from stock (for me, at least).

You will need muffler brackets (see Squidley's ad in the Classifieds):

http://www.venturerider.org/classifieds/showproduct.php/product/288/cat/7

And you will need a set of clamps to fit the RKs - I went with the standard from HD (cost me CDN$20 for the pair). Others have chosen to go with a special order wider clamp.

Cheers,

Somewhere on one of the several Venture sites exist a write up on slavaging the chrome bell reducers from the stock pipes and using them on the Road King slipons. I did and it looks very nice and you use the stock HD clamps because they are hidden under the bell reducer. It does distroy the stock pipes but they are worth very little anyway. I also suggest you get the one inch hole saw with the extra long shank and drill out the center baffel on the HD pipes. Sounds better at idle and but still quite while cruising.

So, I'm wondering, if Road King pipes will work o my '05 RSTD will Vance and Hines slip ons for the Road King work on my bike. Will I need the adapter brackets as well?

Thanks! John

• 6 years later...

2 options on the hangers. You can buy or make the "hockey stick" sort of L shaped brackets. Or the esy way is 3/4 P clamps or some call them adel clamps found in the electrical dept @ home improvement store. A like 1/2" long 1/4x20 bolt to hold it to the hole. The clamp goes around the bar at back of bike around saddlebags. Once bags are on you cant even see the P clamp. Your biggest expense will be the V-twin mfg large clamps @ 40 bucks or so. I am not convinced I like mine on long trips, to much rasp for me. So I use a stailess steel worm clamp.

I purchase those same clamps from the local independent "harley" shop that is a Drag Specialties and Custom Chrome dealer for $36 and no shipping. IF you happen to have a local independent shop that is a Drag Specialties dealer give them a call, doesn't hurt to ask.