Thanks to all those who advised me on how to refill the antifreeze, etc. This comes under FYI.

I live a few miles from the Natchez Trace Parkway, and there is a short ride I take down to Rocky Springs (about 100 miles roundtrip). Call it 2-wheel meditation or therapy. Works every time. At any rate, before my recent changes to the bike I always got 47.8 to 48.1 mpg. I know it's a high number but the speed limit on the Trace is 50 mph and that's what I ride at (actually cruise set between 50 and 55 to allow for error). With Yamaha oil and filter, stock paper air filters, and stock exhausts, I got my routine figure of 47.8 mpg last week.

Since changing to Mobil 1 motorcycle synthetic and Pure One filter, K&N air filters, and Bub slip-on exhausts, I have now gotten 51.2 mpg on one trip and 51.7 mpg today. This is a pretty controlled experiment as I always fill immediately before getting on the Trace and refill at the same place/same pump immediately when exiting. Same fuel (Exxon regular), same pump, same trip and speed.

So . . . those of you who are worried (as I was) that intake/exhaust modifications would adversely affect gas mileage should worry no longer. Did I mention that the Tour Deluxe feels and sounds like a new bike? Incredible difference!

Thanks again to all who helped with advice on exhausts, refilling the radiator, etc. :grandpa:

I have only gotten what I considered BAd mpg a few years ago on a road (interstate) trip to Tucson and back (averaged 34.8 mpg); however, I did set the cruise at 75 mph and left it there (except for running it up to 80-90 every now and then). So, 34.8 mpg is not bad when racing across the desolation that is west Texas.

I've gotten 25mpg at 75 mph (actual GPS speed) for the last three tanks.... all stock except for cored out pipes. For those who've changed their own spark plugs at the 12k miles interval did they look used up? Or still plenty serviceable? (I'm over on mileage for those)

I've gotten 25mpg at 75 mph (actual GPS speed) for the last three tanks.... all stock except for cored out pipes. For those who've changed their own spark plugs at the 12k miles interval did they look used up? Or still plenty serviceable? (I'm over on mileage for those)

My manual on a 07 calls for a plug change every 8,000 miles, inspect at 12,000. At the 8,000 point they looked just about new but I changed them anyway just to stay on Yamahas maintenance schedule. I don't know if I will do the same at 16,000.

Jerry

I do not understand 25 mpg. Yesterday, I rode 70-75 mph for 280 miles (with a short stop about halfway through). Now, I know the mileage (even without gps) as it's a trip I have done repeatedly over thirty years. The average mpg at this speed: 42.066 mpg. The actual figures are: 280.33 miles divided by 6.664 gals of fuel = 42.066. I would say if you're getting 25 mpg on this bike at this speed. there is something seriously wrong. Just my experience/opinion. BTW, my is a 2005 tour deluxe.

Only headers and jets change mpg in a negative way

Something affected mine.

I do not understand 25 mpg. Yesterday, I rode 70-75 mph for 280 miles (with a short stop about halfway through). Now, I know the mileage (even without gps) as it's a trip I have done repeatedly over thirty years. The average mpg at this speed: 42.066 mpg. The actual figures are: 280.33 miles divided by 6.664 gals of fuel = 42.066. I would say if you're getting 25 mpg on this bike at this speed. there is something seriously wrong. Just my experience/opinion. BTW, my is a 2005 tour deluxe.

I may not understand it, but it's what I get - 30mpg (UK) is about 25mpg (US). I know that's with a sidecar, but I only ever had a couple of mpg more solo - and that's regardless of speed, unless I go above 75mph (above 65mph with the trailer) when it drops further drastically.

Anyone figure out the secret, let me know.

PS - I'm still adding figures on that spreadsheet as it comes in.

is the bike breathing ok? hows the air filters? my bike has never gotten below 38.0 mpg u.s. and i consistantly ride 75-80mph on a non speedo healed 99 venture. (i'm not bragging, i'm just surprised to hear what some of us get for mpgs):confused24::think:

Big Mike

Had the carbs synched at Yamaha yesterday and made the little Natchez Trace trip this morning: 52.717 mpg. That's not bad, not bad at all.:cool10:

Glad you synced them carbs Spyder, I did and it really made a big differance. Me and my ride get 44 average MPG, critically checked at same pump. I have roadhouse pipes and K&N filters, plugged AIS system.

James

Did a ride to New Orleans yesterday on hwy 90 west and drove 45 to 50 mph and got 52mpg. 93.7 miles and 1.8 gal. I just changed oil to Mobil 4t and Mobil gear oil. Everything else is stock. Made sure carbs were synced.

tew47

Air filters are new, stock paper elements. I synched the carbs recently, etc. Yesterday afternoon, I tore down the carbs to have a look. Not a lot, a few small things. Idle mixture was at three turns, hauled it back to two. Choke linkage was bent slightly, two enrichener plungers were being POSSIBLY held off their seats. Probably by the original owner who dis this.....

is the bike breathing ok? hows the air filters? my bike has never gotten below 38.0 mpg u.s. and i consistantly ride 75-80mph on a non speedo healed 99 venture. (i'm not bragging, i'm just surprised to hear what some of us get for mpgs):confused24::think:

Big Mike

I used the GPS speed and distance for my calculations... speedo is 7mph off, distance was 6% off...

Low fuel light was on at 100 miles.....