IGNORED

Air Horn install - Stebel

Gained

From a saved tech install article... unknown contributor who will probably announce him/herself...

With all this talk about adding better horns to our ride I found these and mounted them to my ride in the stock location. Right side just forward and below the passenger foot. These are the one's I used from here:

http://www.adventurersworkshop.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=STEBEL_COMPA CT_CHROME&Category_Code=Stebel_Air_Horns

Included are a couple of pic's on how they look on the bike. For mounting the horn I used an "L" bracket Bolted to where the Grounding strap mounts onto the engine. and mounted the relay under the cover just beside the right foot of the passanger.

I also have an easy wiring instructions.

A. Pink horn wire goes to RELAY POST 85.

B. Brown horn wire goes to Relay Post 86.

C. Connect one end of a wire to Relay Post 30 and the other end to the Hot side,+, of the compressor

D. Connect end of your 20 amp Fused line to Relay Post 87 and the other end to the Hot Post,+, of your Battery.

E. Connect the negative,-, on compressor to ground or neg,-, post on battery

By using your wiring instructions, does this disconnect the OEM horns? I like your set up and God only knows that the RSV horns leave a lot to be desired. If it is as easy as you say -- then even I can install this thing.

http://www.adventurersworkshop.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=STEBEL_COMPACT_CHROME&Category_Code=Stebel_Air_Horns

At 139dB these horns are extremely loud and provide that "rock concert" ringing in your ear if you are too close when it goes off.

I've been told that it can be heard almost 3 city blocks away! YEEEOOOWWW!

Dimensions

The Compact Nautilus chrome horns are 4 3/4" tall, 2 3/4" wide, and 4 1/4" deep.

Yes I only had to remove the OEM horn from it's place and then add the new horn where the old one was. The other horn under the faring is still there and still connected and working. As for wiring just follow those instructions and everything will work like it should. The plug on the OEM horn I just cut into 2, their was a small V shaped plastic piece holding the 2 wires together. Once the V piece is cut you can then plug them into the relay directly. I mounted the relay under the battery cover on the side.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll post a picture Friday when I can take shot in daylight.

I have running lights on Squidly brackets so I just made an "L" bracket and mounted it back in opening where you would normally see front right head, bolting to Squid bracket.

Mick

• 3 weeks later...
This is the horn that I have mounted on my '06 Midnight. For those at Vogel, you can remember how loud it is. I love this horn and it will get you noticed.

Thanks for the show @ Vogel, my horn is on order and I just rewired my LED brake lite to operate as a running lite also yesterday, as Gomer would say, "SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY":rotf: :cool10: :080402gudl_prv:

Gary

I've been thinking about adding one to my 86VR, but hasn't decided how or where to put it. Where did you mount yours? pics?

Well, I guess there are at least two choices to mount these on a 1st Gen:

1.) If you have driving light brackets you can mount the horn(s) below the driving lights with the relay hidden behind the side reflector cover. This is how Scott (tooldood) mounted his.

2.) The other possibility is to mount the horn in front of the oil filter under the front spoiler by attaching it with a hose clamp to the frame tube underneath the coolant bleed valve. I think Pegstr came up with this mounting position. I mounted mine the same way, the only problem was that the hose clamp came apart after a few thousand miles, don't know if it was just a faulty (cheap) clamp or if the sharp edge of the mount produced too much strain. I am using a rubber lined band clamp right now, with a bolt going through the original mount on the horn.

According to some reports, you have to use the original oil filter housing, the mounting point will interfere with the Rivco adapter.

Sorry, no pictures of these installation handy right now, have to look around if I find any.

Klaus

I mounted the Stebul inside of my fairing on my 86. I had to modify the right air vent afterwards in order to still receive fresh air through it. It requires you to utilize a piece of heater ductwork {The kind that runs from the exhaust manifold to the air cleaner on the older car or truck engines}. You can just see it in the last pic posted. Even though it is mounted inside of the fairing it is still plenty loud. With this setup I bought some of Sqiudleys fog light brackets and took off my stock horns. Gives my 86 a different look without the stock horns mounted.

I don't have pics, but I installed the rivco adapter and the nose cone wouldn't fit, so I modified the nose cone, or my service mgr. at the dealership did it for me. You can cut the plastic below the wire mesh about 1/2 in., then slit the mesh down each side, making it protrude out a little and yet still keeping the mesh in place. Without a pic, I know this will be hard to understand, but if it is done right, you can't tell it wasn't made that way.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Joe Shrimp

I saw the "Bad Boy" version of this Steible horn on sale today at Harbor Freight for $34.99. It was the complete package with a horn relay and the chrome button, but black plastic horn parts. That is the best price I've seen.

• 3 weeks later...

Installed mine a couple of weeks ago, but I had to make one change to the instuctions on the first post : I had to switch the brown & pink wires cause when I hit the horn button it stayed on ! turned off the key and it still was blasting ! so I had to unplug the wire from the horn switched the brn & pnk wires @ the relay and everything was cool. May have just been my bike, but thats the solution if it happens to you.

Good Luck,

Gary:cool10: :cool10: :cool10:

• 3 weeks later...

OK, would like some help. Called Adventurers Workshop yesterday to order a horn. Two numbers listed...called both and got an answering machine. Left a message but haven't heard from them yet. My question is....is this the only place that carries this horn?? I don't usually call back. If they can't call me after I leave a message, oh well. Thanks in advance!!

OK, would like some help. Called Adventurers Workshop yesterday to order a horn. Two numbers listed...called both and got an answering machine. Left a message but haven't heard from them yet. My question is....is this the only place that carries this horn?? I don't usually call back. If they can't call me after I leave a message, oh well. Thanks in advance!!

Apparently this is not a full time job for them and they don't always reply as soon as one would like. I talked to them via e-mail and ordered from their web site with no problems.

I actually got mine from them - called them - had a question and got an answer, I had good customer service. Product shipped immediately and I like the sound. But, appears that there might be other sources as well - :080402gudl_prv:

• 2 months later...
From a saved tech install article... unknown contributor who will probably announce him/herself...

With all this talk about adding better horns to our ride I found these and mounted them to my ride in the stock location. Right side just forward and below the passenger foot. These are the one's I used from here:

http://www.adventurersworkshop.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=STEBEL_COMPA CT_CHROME&Category_Code=Stebel_Air_Horns

Included are a couple of pic's on how they look on the bike. For mounting the horn I used an "L" bracket Bolted to where the Grounding strap mounts onto the engine. and mounted the relay under the cover just beside the right foot of the passanger.

C. Connect one end of a wire to Relay Post 30 and the other end to the Hot side,+, of the compressor

D. Connect end of your 20 amp Fused line to Relay Post 87 and the other end to the Hot Post,+, of your Battery.

By using your wiring instructions, does this disconnect the OEM horns? I like your set up and God only knows that the RSV horns leave a lot to be desired. If it is as easy as you say -- then even I can install this thing.

http://www.adventurersworkshop.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=STEBEL_COMPACT_CHROME&Category_Code=Stebel_Air_Horns

At 139dB these horns are extremely loud and provide that "rock concert" ringing in your ear if you are too close when it goes off.

Dimensions

The Compact Nautilus chrome horns are 4 3/4" tall, 2 3/4" wide, and 4 1/4" deep.

Yes I only had to remove the OEM horn from it's place and then add the new horn where the old one was. The other horn under the faring is still there and still connected and working. As for wiring just follow those instructions and everything will work like it should. The plug on the OEM horn I just cut into 2, their was a small V shaped plastic piece holding the 2 wires together. Once the V piece is cut you can then plug them into the relay directly. I mounted the relay under the battery cover on the side.

Got the Nautalis horn for Christmas and tried to follow directions along with the directions in the package. My goal was to replace the wimpy horns that are already on there. I removed both original horns wired things up as best I could and there was nothing. The Venture has two black wires coming to either horn one of which is hot so I assume comes from the battery. The negative is wired to the horn switch as I understand it. I followed the package instructions that are on the lower right corner (had to use two pair of glasses at the same time for the small print) but nothing happened.

Help

Is there a posting for electrically ignorant first generation do-it-yourselfers?

Iowa Guy

:crying:

Dimensions

I got the stebel air horn for Christmas but I have failed to get it hooked up right so far. I don't have any pink or brown wires on my 89, just two black ones that go to each of the original horns on either side mounted near the running lights. One of the wires is hot so I assume is from the battery. Is the other negative and is connected to the horm button? I followed the instructions on the package insert (had to use two pair of glasses at once for the small print) located on the lower right corner but nothing.

Is there a posting to help a electrically ignorant 1st gen owner and do-it-yourselfer?

Iowa Guy

:crying:

• 1 month later...