Is there a way to access the pilot jets without removing the carbs? I'd like to try richening them up one notch. I was also going to raise the jet needles up and found that there were no adjustment grooves. Do you use washer type shims, or do you need different needles?

Thanks, Gary

Is there a way to access the pilot jets without removing the carbs? I'd like to try richening them up one notch. I was also going to raise the jet needles up and found that there were no adjustment grooves. Do you use washer type shims, or do you need different needles?

Thanks, Gary

Gary- You can get to both Pilot Jets without removing the carbs. #2 is accessed behind the idle adjustment screw and #1 is accesssed at the top of the venturi. You'll need to pull the air box to get to #1, but carbs can stay where they are. I've never raised one so I'm no help there in regards to effect.....

Thanks Condor. That'll save alot of grief. Is there a chart that shows the diameter of the orifice in relation to the jet size. I'll probably drill them out and it'd be nice to have the bits ready. My brother in law is bringing his Goldwing down for the 1st time this weekend and he'll be pretty scrutinizing. I hope to have it idling smooth and also that he gets a good look at the tail lights when we're on the road.

Gary

Thanks Condor. That'll save alot of grief. Is there a chart that shows the diameter of the orifice in relation to the jet size. I'll probably drill them out and it'd be nice to have the bits ready. My brother in law is bringing his Goldwing down for the 1st time this weekend and he'll be pretty scrutinizing. I hope to have it idling smooth and also that he gets a good look at the tail lights when we're on the road.

Gary

Not aware of any chart Gary. I just pull 'm and clean 'm.. Maybe Jeff (muffinman) or Mike (mbrood) could help??

Hi Guys,

I was just perusing the blowup on the manual and there are 3 jets of interest:

1. Pilot Air Jet #1 - in carb inlet as stated
  2. Pilot Air Jet #2 - behind slide diaphragm
  3. Pilot Jet - located in jet block in fuel bowl

So while you can access the two Pilot Air Jets, the Pilot Jet proper will require removal of the carbs and fuel bowls. To make it richer, you would have to increase the Pilot Jet or perhaps decrease the Pilot Air Jets.

Don't assume that richening everything up will make mo-power. You might just end up fouling plugs and running too rich for max power.

Jeremy

The power is strong and steady at 1/4 throttle and up. It just stumbles at idle to 1/4 throttle. The idle screws are out to 4 turns ea. The choke needs to be slightly on until motor is thoroughly warm/hot. Ran carb cleaner and compressed air thru idle screw ports and air jets. Carb diaphragms look good and all piston valves appear to be reacting the same. Synchroed carbs. New plugs. Checked timing. Put timing light on each plug wire and all are firing. Cleaned and oiled air filter. Air box looks tight. Checked for vacuum leaks around intake areas with starting fluid. New Odyssey battery. Getting about 40 mpg. I'd like to try bigger idle jets, but I'm a little hesitant about pulling the carbs and upsetting some of the old rubber around there.

Thanks for all the input/help.

Gary

Sounds like your Pilot Jets inside the Carb Bowl are plugged. These are in the Jet Block inside the Floater Bowls. By shimming the Needles, you won't gain anything on that Matters.

Only Thing before pulling the Carbs and completely tear them apart and cleaning is to pour down some Carb Cleaner through the Jets and Ports on the Carb Throat and hope for cleaning up. There is the PAJ#1 and besides that a small Hole. Spray into both and blow afterwards with the Airgun and compressed Air. Don't aim at the big oval Hole there, this would move the Slides and too much compressed Air there is bad for the Diaphragms. Also, there is a tiny O-Ring on the Diaphragm Bowl. Behind that are fixed Jets which also could be partially plugged and disturb proper Function on the Idle Circuits.

These bikes run fine stock. Not to say there's no room for improvement, but they run without stumbling. If yours is stumbling at low throttle, you have a problem in the pilot circuit, probably a blockage. Don't try to fix a poorly running stock bike with new jetting, because there's something else wrong. It didn't always run like that.

Jeremy

I think we maybe got it. I attacked the pilot jets from the top via the PAJ#1 with a gas torch tip cleaner, carb cleaner, compressed air, and finally seafoam fed in with a syringe. It sure feels good for now. Thanks again for all the help!

Gary:banana: