IGNORED

New Bike

Guest nolafishr

Guest nolafishr

I am considering Buying a 2008 Royal Star Venture from My Dad and would like to hear from some of you on how you like your Bikes and any Problems/Issues with them. I read about the Rear End Problems/Noises. Any of you dealing with this and how serious is it. I currently Ride a 05 Roadstar and would like to go to a Touring Bike but My Bike Runs great and I have no problems or issues at all with it. This would be my only concern.

Edited by nolafishr

We will need a lot more info to help you make this decision.

First - how much riding experience does your Dad have? This is not a good bike for a noob rider (even though it is my first bike).

Second - what kind of riding does he want to do? Pound around town, or tour. There are better selections for 'pound around town'.

Third - (OK, this is going to raise some hackles) - Age? This bike is really heavy. Does he have the strength to handle this bike in slow speed handling and/or emergency moves.

Forth - What does he want? Has he test ridden one?

From a quality standpoint, the Venture is a great bike and an excellent value. You can't beat the comfort, looks, and warranty.

You are a good son considering a bike for your Dad. My father started riding after I got my bike (and he realized my Mother still loved me after getting one). We take at least one major ride a year together and they are great memories.

RR

Your buying the bike from your dad, right?

It's a bit different from your Road Star. For long distance riding; it can't be beat. I'm pretty tall and this is the first bike that didn't feel cramped to me.

I really like the stereo and the cruise control. The motor likes to be run in the higher RPM range.

I can't think of a bike that I would rather have than the Venture.

Hope that helps.

Bob

Definitely agree about the RSV and Roadstar being two different types of bikes. I guess the first thing you need to ask yourself is how much touring are you planning on doing? If you're not going to be doing a lot of long range riding (multiple 400 + miles days in a row), you might want to consider just hanging onto what you have. I can put 400 miles on my Roadstar in a day and feel pretty good at the end of the day. I've got some saddlebags with the Ghostbrackets, so for short trips, this bike is fine. Use an Ipod for my tunes. The Roadstar also handles a lot better (IMO) and sits a lot lower to the ground, so if you're challenged in the leg length dept., you may want to consider that, too. All in all, I love my Roadstar and that's why I still have it. Now onto the RSV. A bunch more built in storage capacity, handles pretty good for a big bike, built in tunes, lots of power (love kicking my friends Electra Glides butts), very easy to put a few 400 + miles a day on. And most important of all, the wife LOVES her seat. Either way you can't lose, both are great bikes. You'll just have to sit down and figure out what you really want to do, as far as you're riding goes.

I bought a new '08 in april. The first week of june the wife & I went on a 2800 mile trip that took us through most of the South eastern states. The rear end did start making a clicking noise when coming to a stop, turned out to need grease on the splines & drive fingers(warrenty). No harm done....just annoying. My tailbone was sore after riding three 500 mile days in a row....but there's a seat mod that will fix that (somebody on this site does it for 35 bucks..). Most importantly....the wife LOVED it!! It has plenty of power & will run as far and as long as you want to. I love it. As far as riding around town... After about a month of driving it....It doesn't bother me anymore, guess I got used to it. I'd do it all again in a heartbeat!!:cool10:

Guest nolafishr

Thanks for all the Info on this, I will consider it but it is Hard to sell something that does not give you trouble and besides it is Paid for, I am looking at adding a Fairing with Radio/CD and a Tour Pac, that would be the cheaper way to go. My Dad wants to sell because He got in over His Head with the Bike, He wound up buying 2 Bikes and I think He regrets that. It is a Beautiful Bike.