IGNORED

Duluth and beyond

juggler

Another nice trip in Minnesota is going to Duluth and the North Shore. This year from St. Paul we went up I-35 a bit then we cut off on some two laners and made our way to hwy 23. Another little two lane road. We took that the rest of the way to Duluth. I was nice getting off the super slab, especially since they had that down to one lane each way for construction.

Once in Duluth you should go out on the point. You have to cross the Historic lift bridge to get out there. The bridge has a metal grate deck and makes for a fun crossing. Once out on the point take the nice drive until you get to the park. This is a great place to picnic. Look for the trail to the sand dunes. Cross the dune and get out onto the north beach of the point. This is a favorite swimming beach for the locals. Kick off your boots and get your feet wet and frozen. Lake Superior water never warms up.

Once your back on the road head north on 61 a very short ways. Actually until you see the turn for the scenic route. This is actually old highway 61, and this way keeps you right next to the lake and lets you have wonderful views. There are many resorts, cabins and B&B's along the way. Stop in at The Castle Inn for a good bite to eat.

Keep going north and you'll pull into Two Harbors. In addition to all the stuff this town offers on the main street pull off to the right and go down o the light house. There you'll see a little area history with a historic tug boat and light house. They offer tours of the light house and if you plan in advance you can spend the night at the B&B in the light house.

The next great place on this rip in Gooseberry Falls State Park. This is a fun place to wade or swim in the rapids and pools of the falls. It's also a very well visited place.

Further up the road is Split Rock Light House. This is a good tour to take. There is a lot of history in that light. Ask how the got the crane, that they used to haul everything up the 100+ foot cliff, up the cliff with no crane.

North of there is Beaver Bay, Silver Bay and may other little towns. We need to spend more time up there. It's been a long time since we've been past Split Rock Light house. We can usually do the trip from St. Paul to Split Rock and back in a day. To go further and see more you really need to take several days.

• 3 years later...
If you go all the way up on 35 you have to stop at Tobies for cinnamon rolls. I can't remember the name of the town but they have billboards on the highway.

That would be Hinckley MN. Home of the B.A. cinnamon rolls.:missingtooth:

Wife always wants to stop there.

Steve

The whole North Shore drive is really nice. Someday maybe we can do the Lake Superior circle. I think that would be a great ride. Going NE from Duluth, it just gets better the farther you go, because most folks don't get past Two Harbors, or Splitrock Lighthouse. Just keep going and the road gets quieter and quieter. Beyond Grand Marais, you could near to get lonely up there. My kind of road. When we get on a stretch like that, we always say "Nice of them to make this road, just for us, wasn't it??" If you're up that way, take a detour off the North Shore on Highway 1 to Ely, MN. Really nice ride. I don't know that you can make a loop of it very easy, because there aren't a lot of tar roads up in the arrowhead area, but it's worth riding up and back on the same route, if need be. Just my 2 cents, Larry