IGNORED

Hit & run, The Plot Thickens

Venturous Randy

I stopped by the police station today at lunch and picked up a copy of the report. It does have her as hitting the bike and she was noted as improper backing. She was also charged with driving on a suspended license, go figure. This is all well and good but on my vehicle it was noted that I was parked illegally. This is a city street in front of where I work with no restrictions in that area. The only thing I can think that might be an issue at this point was I was parked at an angle to the curb, not perpendicular, but at about a 30 degree angle. I mainly do this because this street, as most, is sloped downward and I am more confortable with the stance of the bike on the side stand.

Just got a call back from the Police Officer and I told him I was confused and what was I doing to be parked illegally? He said you were not parked illegally. I said the report says that. He then goes into this tirade about using these little PDA's to do reports on. He then stated that he would get it corrected and then I could pick up another copy. WHEW!!!

So, I am about back to square one on dealing with an insurance company and should be without having to deal with the company and the video. What a roller coaster ride so far.

BTW, as I noted earlier, this guy rides a Goldwing. He also noted on the report that the damage was under $400. Yeah.

RandyA

Get a writen estaimte for parts & Labor, for the repairs to the bike. (FYI) get two quotes.

this way you can prove expences for repairs, & that the officer, Guest on the Damage.

The officer was incorrect on giving an estaimate of damages. quotes should be done by an insurance adjuster.:080402gudl_prv:

Ya gotta keep us updated on this saga.

btw, did the police, lawyer, or insurance company request the video from your HR dept yet? once the request comes from one of them i'm sure that HR lady will just shut up and hand it over. and once you get a copy of it, can you post it on here so we can all watch it?

maybe some of our leo members can add to this:

hit and run is classified as a? summary offense, misdemeanor, or felony

doesn't the seriousness of these have something to do with the dollar amount of the damage?

example: assume that hit and run with damages under $400 is enough to charge her with a class 3 misdemeanor, damages from $400 to $2000 as a class 2 misdemeanor, over $2000 is a class 1 misdemeanor, etc...

maybe the cop is just trying to charge her with a lesser offense, knowing that the damages will actually be more and the insurance will pay whatever the estimate is anyhow. she's still getting charged with something, you're still getting reimbursed for what you're out, and we all live happily ever after...

then again i may have NO idea of what i'm talking about

With the police report charging her with improper backing and driving on a suspended license, I am not going to pursue anything about getting the video from the company and it would be a big fight anyway. I think just me telling the LEO that I saw the video and him telling the woman was enough, so I think it did help. I know some of you 2nd genners would watch the tape of a 1st gen getting knocked over repeatedly so I won't entice you with that.

At this point I am not sure what to do. Do I contact State Farm, redneck's insurance that is noted on the police report or what? They may get hinky about it because he was letting his girl friend drive it with a suspended license.

This is a first for me and hope the last time I have to deal with it. But, I think the saga is just starting.

Also, on the police report it was changed to not be hit and run.

RandyA

Edited by Venturous Randy

I'm glad to hear you are getting somewhere, but $400.00,

Did you tell the officer that she is an antique?

:biker:

Not only an antique, but a customized antique that was featured as the bike in the VentureRider's January issue of their inaugral 2007 calender. It's got to be worth a lot just for that alone.

RandyA

Also, on the police report it was changed to not be hit and run.

RandyA

Randy, i'm sorry for all that happeing to you, but if that wasn't a hit'n'Run what else would be seen so ?

I don't know much about the System but this LEO would cause me being suspect. 400 Bucks ?? taking the Charges down ? Inadvertly noting your false Parking ?

Randy, i'm sorry for all that happeing to you, but if that wasn't a hit'n'Run what else would be seen so ?

I don't know much about the System but this LEO would cause me being suspect. 400 Bucks ?? taking the Charges down ? Inadvertly noting your false Parking ?

Basically, it does not have to be Hit and Run if it is determined that she did it "unknowingly" but took credit for it after she was aware it happened, such as the video showing she did it.

As far as me illegally parking, I noted in the earlier post that the LEO made a mistake and is having that changed. I was just writing this as it was happening.

RandyA

Do I contact State Farm, redneck's insurance that is noted on the police report or what? They may get hinky about it because he was letting his girl friend drive it with a suspended license.

RandyA

I believe the vehicle is insured rather than the driver. I'd contact redneck's insurance. They'll either jack up his rates a bunch or cancel his policy for letting her drive it.

Get your estimates and your corrected police report first.

Then, you might want to go see redneck for a cash settlement. He might just a soon not have his insurance company know about the incident.

Basically, it does not have to be Hit and Run if it is determined that she did it "unknowingly" but took credit for it after she was aware it happened, such as the video showing she did it.

As far as me illegally parking, I noted in the earlier post that the LEO made a mistake and is having that changed. I was just writing this as it was happening.

RandyA

Unknowingly ??

Mistake ???

She did take Credit for her Action ?

Did she ?

I remember the Porch Guy shouting "She didn't do anything, although she was there"

All i'm saying, this all would make me very suspect. I would do a Lot to get my Hand on a Copy of the Video. Not that is lost in outer Space when you need Evidence to prove that you did hit the Truck with your Bike.

At this point I am not sure what to do. Do I contact State Farm, redneck's insurance that is noted on the police report or what? They may get hinky about it because he was letting his girl friend drive it with a suspended license.RandyA

If you have all of the insured's info, (redneck's name, driver's name, policy# etc.) Yes call immediatly. Contact State Farm Claims and file a claim. They will take a report and investigate the incident. Offer to supply them with a copy of the police report as it will take a couple of weeks for them to request and recieve one form the LEO office. He may have a clause in his policy about improper use of his vehicle, but if she was using his vehicle with permition, they will likley pay the claim. He may loose his insurance, but they should pay the claim.

DJ

I stopped and had a good visit with my Allstate agent on the way home after stopping by the police station and getting an already corrected copy of the report. We talked about the whole nasty saga so far and the agent could not believe the attitude I was hit with from the company I work for and the HR Mgr on the video tape. I gave them a copy of the report and some pictures I had printed out with the bike laying on it's side.

The agent advised me that they would be contacting State Farm, redneck's insurance, and we would go from there. The agent also stated that she felt there should not be any problems with coverage from State Farm and the suspended license problem, and if there were, my uninsured motorist coverage should kick in(which I almost wish would happen and let Allstate fight it out with State Farm).

I advised the agent that my concern was State Farm wanting to total the bike due to the cost of repair. I also advised her that it could cost as much as $2,000 to duplicate the paint job on the bike(she was familiar with the painter that the local Harley shop uses on custom painting brand new Harleys for high dollar customers).

So, I guess at this time we will wait around for the next chapter.

I do want to say that I really do appreciate the nice comments on this bike in the other Hit and Run threads and also for all the advise and comments in general.

RandyA

I have not spent any time taking a real good look at how much damage the bike received, but just a quick once over is telling me it is worse than a cracked fairing. I did notice the other day that my headlight cover was crooked and I am now figuring out why. When I took the bike for a ride this evening, I felt something rubbing the steering. When I took a closer look, I noticed that the grills on each side of the ignition switch cover are way off to one side and the dash assembly is off also. Evidently, this bike hit the pavement so hard that it has bent the frame assembly that holds the fairings and dash in place. What probably made it worse was having the back end of the bike up on the curb and shifting much more weight on to the fairing. I don't have the 83 dash/fairing frame assembly on this bike as I upgraded to the 86 up when I changed my headlight assembly.

RandyA

Either it fell harder, or she hit it alot harder than a "bump" I feel for ya buddy, what ever happened to the days of Hey I hit your bike by accident, I am really sorry and I will take care of any damages? Now everyone just looks for a way to cover their A$$ I cant believe your hr dept. My wife is HR manager at a local co. she would never have reacted like that, there is no excuse for her attitude, whats involved in making a copy??? simple 5 min job. Man I hope it works out for ya.:080402gudl_prv: Craig

Seeing that third pic brings back memories. It is a very sad sight! When it happened to mine, I was so disgusted, she sat outside in the weather for years. Yes, shame on me but I have paid for that big! :mo money:

I never knew who did it.

I finally replaced the engine guard a few weeks ago - $150. It actually carved a piece of the water pipe out - hasn't blown yet and does not look like it will.

I still have a slight bent frame assembly and a mis-matched brown paint job from the huge whole in my fairing. That is how my VentureLine AirWing was busted too.

I wish you the best on this deal and hope you get what you deserve.

Thanks so much for the comments guys. As far as the tape, it would take a court order to get and I really don't need it. I spent at least an hour yesterday with the police officer that is working on this. My Allstate agent called me and stated that she has been on the phone with State Farm, the noted agent for Mr redneck, and something is not jiving on the policy number. The police report noted the drivers name, but not the owner of the truck. It gave the truck tag number, but the State Farm agent could access that and the policy number did not match anything.

So, I go back to the Police Stations and talk the the records people and they call the Officer that wrote it up( who I found out was at the Honda shop when she called him).

He comes back to the Police Station and we had a great visit. He told me about his visit with the "perpetrators"( how do you like that?) and how things changed when he told them it was on video. He said at first the driver told him she had misplaced her drivers license and then admitted she was driving on a suspended license, which turned out to be for not paying a ticket. Redneck could not find his insurance card, but did come up with a sheet of paper where it looked like he was paying it monthly, and was within two days of expiring. The officer wondered about the policy number, which did seem a bit longer than normal, but it did look legit. He gave me the guys full name and his last two addresses.

The officer, who was getting ready to take three weeks off, told me that if there were any problems with State Farm and the policy number, that to let him know and when he got back he would personally go by the noted State Farm agent and talk to them.

As I said, we had a great visit and talked about things like the strobes I am using in my headlight and the ones in the brake light system, which he liked, but cautioned me about using them while up in Virginia. He also liked my loud air horns.

I asked what he was going to be doing on his vacation and he stated he was going to try to do some riding on the Blue Ridge Parkway on his( and ya got to love this) "Purple" Goldwing. So, if you see a purple Goldwing on the BRP and especially if his helmet is off, as he is very bald, say hey for me, but be careful, he will talk your leg off.

RandyA

• 3 weeks later...

I sent the two estimates to State Farm a week ago today. I had not heard anything back, so I called the main office this afternoon. I was told that they were going to assign it to an agent and I could have him meet me at the Yamaha dealer, my work or my home. I told them my home would be better, but it would be at least 5pm.

It is going to be interesting because this woman was talking about the Yamaha shop doing the disassembly and then the paint shop doing the custom paint and the Yamaha shop putting it back together. Even tho I used the Yamaha shop to get the estimate for parts and labor, I would not let them work on anything I have, even if State Farm did pay for it. So, I am going to see how this comes about and see if there may be a basic settlement, which I would do all the work except the paint myself.

I am new at this stuff and really do not know what to expect.

Thanks for asking pegscraper.

RandyA