IGNORED

I Am No Longer a Rider

Yama Mama

My husband and I have been members here since 2006. We have a 1999 RSV. We have ridden together since that time. 

I have always enjoyed riding with my husband but then last year I decided to no longer ride. I did not ride at all last year. I believe I decided I was no longer willing to take the risk of riding. I told my husband of my decision, and he is still riding.

I am going to let him decide for himself. I just felt with all the crazy drivers out there in this world, I am not willing to accept the risk any longer. 

What do you think of my decision? 

Yama Mama

• Like 4

When  you decide to stop riding after many years it comes hard ...I have been riding since 1963 and I still cannot make the decision not to ride ...I will ride a smaller bike  , and if I don't  feel safe then I will make the decision .... 

• Like 1

I certainly understand .     I sometimes question the wisdom of it, but I still feel the benefits outweigh the risk.   There's a feeling I get riding that I haven't been able to get otherwise.    I think of when I first take the bike out of it's Winter resting spot, ( Heated shed) and go for the first ride of the year.....Man...that feels great....I instantly remember why I enjoy riding.   Wish I could do it more...As I age I can see where I'll eventually want to give it up, but not there yet.

As part of my job, I regularly use ladders to get up on commercial roofs;  I'll be doing it today.   I seem to mind that more then I did when I was younger but still have to, as it's part of my job, so I still do it.   Like when riding, now, I'm a bit more cautious and thoughtful before jumping on or off that ladder. Transitioning from ladder to roof or roof to ladder is always the scary part.

We all need to decide how to handle the risk / reward  thing for ourselves.   

Godspeed.

• Like 1

I agree with everyone here as it is YOUR decision not anyone else's ! Phantom Wife(my other half)quit riding with me back a couple years ago when I was diagnosed with Diabetes 2 and lost 100lbs over that winter. I miss having her ride along with me but I understand!!  But I myself do not intend on stopping riding any time soon!!! As someone said you have the choice to come back any time YOU want but until then enjoy what you want to do for now!!

• Like 1

I agree with all the others. This is a decision only you can make. You ride  for your own reasons because that's what you want to do and not because others say you should. On the same note its your decision and yours only, for your own reasons, when you decide its time to give it up. You really don't even need a reason if you feel its time then its time.

However stop gracing us with your presence and you darn well better have a good reason because ya can't just up and walk away from family.  Plus You know you can still attend M&G even if its by way of 4 wheels.

• Like 1

@Yama Mama!!!! Yeeee hawww!!! I know just how you feel Peggy!  I had to make that decision numerous times thru the years. 1st it was to stop competing on the MX tracks, then it was no more dirt bikes at all, then it was no more touring. TIP and I moved on to E-Bikes as our main 2 wheel excurtions and I have no doubt that will have its limits too.  It's hard as heck to make those decisions and it's different for everyone how they want to proceed. Personally I am proud of you for facing the feelings of its time.  Makes no difference though concerning our lasting friendship. We ALWAYS have each other! Tell your first husband HI for us!! Puc, TIP and Tweeks! 

• Like 3

I appreciate all the comments. I have no plans to leave the group. We have made too many friends here over the years. Who know when riding season starts up once again. I still might get back in the saddle. But as of right now, I am staying with both feet on the ground, and my mind in all of those wonderful memories of riding.

• Like 4

Been there, done that. 

A little over five years ago Linda told me that she was getting more and more uncomfortable with riding on the bike. Her concerns were mostly dealing with other traffic. We had put many miles on my 1st gen and had been very lucky with some close calls. I rode for some time after she stopped, but I just did not enjoy riding that much by myself.  This is about the time I bought her a Miata and I enjoyed driving it so much that I got me one. Since then, we have put over 100,000 miles on these cars and I enjoy them very much. 

I had already put 150,000  miles on my 1st gen and knew that I had been very lucky and had some real close calls. I had known for a while there would come a day when I quit riding and I really dreaded it. But, I have to say that the transition to a Miata has been a good one for me. 

I have been looking forward to spring and enjoying being on the road, but now things have changed again. About two weeks ago Linda was diagnosed with an aggressive form of breast cancer and she is getting ready for surgery and chemo. 

Randy

10 hours ago, Venturous Randy said:

Been there, done that. 

A little over five years ago Linda told me that she was getting more and more uncomfortable with riding on the bike. Her concerns were mostly dealing with other traffic. We had put many miles on my 1st gen and had been very lucky with some close calls. I rode for some time after she stopped, but I just did not enjoy riding that much by myself.  This is about the time I bought her a Miata and I enjoyed driving it so much that I got me one. Since then, we have put over 100,000 miles on these cars and I enjoy them very much. 

I had already put 150,000  miles on my 1st gen and knew that I had been very lucky and had some real close calls. I had known for a while there would come a day when I quit riding and I really dreaded it. But, I have to say that the transition to a Miata has been a good one for me. 

I have been looking forward to spring and enjoying being on the road, but now things have changed again. About two weeks ago Linda was diagnosed with an aggressive form of breast cancer and she is getting ready for surgery and chemo. 

Randy

We will be holding you guys up in prayer, it's not known to be a fun time or easy road.

17 hours ago, Venturous Randy said:

Randy

Sure hate to hear this Randy.

We will keep you both of you in our prayers.

Give her a big hug from both of us.

20 hours ago, Venturous Randy said:

Been there, done that. 

Randy

Really emjoyed riding with you two over the years, keeping Linda in our thoughts and prayers. 

HI Peggy, I'm not on here much anymore but do check in from time to time. Sorry to hear that you won't be riding anymore but totally understand your decision. I still don't know why I keep riding after my accident but I still get joy out of it. Mary is not riding as much as she used to but does enjoy it when we are in Texas for the winter. Good luck to you and say Hi to Ron.

On 2/26/2023 at 8:49 PM, Venturous Randy said:

Been there, done that. 

Randy

Randy I hated to hear about Linda we will keep you and Linda in our prayers, Start a new thread so you can keep us up to date on how Linda is doing. 

We stopped riding 5-6yrs ago. Haven't been on here enough lately. Funny thing is we hear from our family here than my own family when the weather is bad in our area checking up on us. Long story short even though you stop riding your still family. 

Tell Ron hi for me. Miss you both

Buddy & Peggy  

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi Yama Mama,

Long time no talk to. I miss our late night sessions in the chat booth. 
I certainly understand getting to a place in life where a change might be made. 2 and half years ago, Teresa and I sold our RSTD and went for something more stable. We bought a Can Am Syder Touring Tryke. After many years of riding together, Teresa was beginning to have some concerns with getting on the bike. 
3 wheels has been a wonderful answer for her concerns. We are both absolutely loving riding again. 
Age and life events bring changes. It’s a fact that most of us aren’t gonna be able to avoid.