IGNORED

The future of touring bikes, an addendum to Don's thread..

cowpuc

Don's recent thread about Yamaha's future in touring bikes and ,indeed, the very future of large touring bikes got me to thinking. I still cant help but imagine hybrid GAS/ELECTRIC being the future. After having put a fair amount of riding on our E-Bikes I truly do think if Mom Yam would come out with a Hybrid Touring Bike that would get a consistent +100 mpg and not have to stop for recharging like a full electric vehicle has to that the youth of today would support it in sales. What do you think? As it stands right now, I think the large touring bike days are dim. I hope not cause those were some great years.  

• Like 1

To be honest, I have no use for an electric touring bike.  It may or may end up NOT being the future but it’s certainly not MY future.  For me, the sound of the engine and many other things are part of the riding experience.  An E-Bike for cruises in the local parts and etc. might be fun but not as a replacement for a motorcycle. 

• Like 5

18 hours ago, cowpuc said:

Don's recent thread about Yamaha's future in touring bikes and ,indeed, the very future of large touring bikes got me to thinking. I still cant help but imagine hybrid GAS/ELECTRIC being the future. After having put a fair amount of riding on our E-Bikes I truly do think if Mom Yam would come out with a Hybrid Touring Bike that would get a consistent +100 mpg and not have to stop for recharging like a full electric vehicle has to that the youth of today would support it in sales. What do you think? As it stands right now, I think the large touring bike days are dim. I hope not cause those were some great years.  

I agree that a hybrid would work well for a touring bike, but the difficulty of building the drivetrain into a bike frame would be a challenge.  Great gas mileage and excellent torque is appealing.  I would also like to see smaller all electric bikes becoming affordable and designed for comfort (all of them now put you in racer position).  I would love to commute to work on one.

• Like 1