IGNORED

Headlight replacement

ReinyRooster

4 hours ago, Freebird said:

This is what I installed on the trike.  Haven't ridden it much since installing but I like it so far.

https://www.denniskirk.com/xk-glow/led-h4-headlight-bulb-xk045002-m-h4.p220174.prd/220174.sku

That’s the one I used and I love it. Had to do some adjusting to aim it properly but after that it’s great!  Illuminates four legged critters on the road at 4 am well!

I'm confused about the legal limit on lumens.  I have read in some places that 3,000 lumens is the federal limit and have read other information that didn't agree with that number.  So I'm cornfused.  I noticed that the bulb in the link is rated 6,000 lumens.  

Here is a electrical challenge , I have not found any wiring diagram that matches the harness   ...the serial / frame # ends in 663 ...I ordered a replacement harness for it and it came and did not resemble any like the one that came off the bike ...Apparently Yamaha kept on making changes in the first 1000 Ventures that were built ...So I ordered another harness and when it came it different again but closer to the original ....I have to make  changes to signal light wiring  and the start relay system and the monitor wiring that works off the harness had to be changed ... There is more but I will stop here because it will be a challenge ...

I'm not sure what you are referring to;  Are you still talking about just changing the bulbs to LED?  If so, all I did was remove the old bulb and put the new one in.  I had to cut the connector off the one that came I think. I don't remember if I just spliced the wires or what but it wasn't a big deal.  Passing lamps were just as easy.  Why do you need a new harness?

12 hours ago, BlueSky said:

I'm confused about the legal limit on lumens.  I have read in some places that 3,000 lumens is the federal limit and have read other information that didn't agree with that number.  So I'm cornfused.  I noticed that the bulb in the link is rated 6,000 lumens.  

It's a bit hard to find the answer because it also can vary by state.  The fact is though, most LED manufacturers aren't exactly honest about the output of the bulbs.  Here is an interesting article that explains it a bit.

https://blog.betterautomotivelighting.com/finding-the-real-lumen-of-a-led-headlight-bulb

• Like 1

OK, just purchased and installed the XK Glow LED H4 Headlight Bulb - XK045002-M-H4 from Dennis Kirk in my 2005 RSV. Haven't been on the rode with it yet, but i am very satisfied with the brightness of it.  Installation was very simple, but I am curious if anyone modified the rubber dust cover that was over the original bulb to fit over the new bulb. Does anyone have a recommendation for replacement bulbs for the OEM passing /driving lights that would look very similar to this new headlight?

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, ReinyRooster said:

Carl....I may just come for a visit with that new bulb to seek your guidance and experience once the weather clears.........

Taking it out is the easy part, wham slam, it's done. Getting the new one in takes a bit more finis for the reason of avoiding some redirected focus of the main beam, some call it cracking. But no matter, always glad to be of assistance.

Now if you want to preserve the old and have the new one work, then that will take a whole different set of tools and know how. It can be done, just takes a bit more time and a bit more money.

On 2/6/2023 at 7:17 AM, BMW said:

OK, just purchased and installed the XK Glow LED H4 Headlight Bulb - XK045002-M-H4 from Dennis Kirk in my 2005 RSV. Haven't been on the rode with it yet, but i am very satisfied with the brightness of it.  Installation was very simple, but I am curious if anyone modified the rubber dust cover that was over the original bulb to fit over the new bulb. Does anyone have a recommendation for replacement bulbs for the OEM passing /driving lights that would look very similar to this new headlight?

Well I was able to get out tonight for a short run with the new headlight in. Wow what an improvement, now all I need to do is find a set of replacement bulbs for the OEM passing/driving lights that look similar to the new headlight. Any suggestions would be greatly appeciated.   :cool10: