IGNORED

How far will you drive for???

Freebird

So my wife decided that we needed a new recliner.  Well, we DID need a new recliner.  Mine was completely shot and it you reclined it too far back, it would fall over.  We had been looking for a while because she has very determined tastes on what she likes.  We had been to a few furniture stores and she couldn't find what she wanted.  So....enter Facebook Marketplace.  She found two almost brand new and, according to here, PERFECT matching recliners on Facebook.  They were a bit far, only in Pennsylvania but the price was very good and she negotiated a great deal on them.  So. yersteay, I had to go get them.  Well, I can be in Pennsylvania in about an hour or so.  No big deal.  NO NO NO.  They are not just across the PA line.  They are in Shavertown, PA.  Almost 4 hundred miles from. my house.  So I left around 4 yesterday morning, drove the 800 mile round trip and got home at 4 yesterday afternoon.  Add to all of that the fact that Mother Nature decided to drop a load of snow on me on my return trip.  By the time I got back to about 120 miles from home, I was passing multiple cars in the ditches.  Now the chairs are beautiful and were a fantastic deal but rest assured, we had a little talk when I finally made it back home and there are now some definite limits on how far away she can search on Facebook Marketplace.  What made it worse was that I only slept about 2 hours the night before I left.  Just one of those rare, for me, nights that I just couldn't sleep. 

• Haha 4

What is it that you have complaints about,,,, you got up early to extend the day, you got in a real nice road trip and could see and visit places you hadn't seen for some time or not at all, you got to meet some really nice people you have never met before, you had nice weather and crappy weather, you got some nice chairs in the process and you made your wife happy, and you were able to nap when it was all done, along with the fact that you spent the money so you don't have to worry over what to do with that now. You had an awesome day!!

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Freebird said:

Lol.  Well Mr. Marcarl, these bones aren’t as young as they once were.  800 miles in a day is a lot now days.   It’s done though.  Happy wife, Happy life. 

If 800 miles is taxing on the bones, it's time to get a Dodge.

8 hours ago, Freebird said:

So my wife decided that we needed a new recliner.  Well, we DID need a new recliner.  Mine was completely shot and it you reclined it too far back, it would fall over.  We had been looking for a while because she has very determined tastes on what she likes.  We had been to a few furniture stores and she couldn't find what she wanted.  So....enter Facebook Marketplace.  She found two almost brand new and, according to here, PERFECT matching recliners on Facebook.  They were a bit far, only in Pennsylvania but the price was very good and she negotiated a great deal on them.  So. yersteay, I had to go get them.  Well, I can be in Pennsylvania in about an hour or so.  No big deal.  NO NO NO.  They are not just across the PA line.  They are in Shavertown, PA.  Almost 4 hundred miles from. my house.  So I left around 4 yesterday morning, drove the 800 mile round trip and got home at 4 yesterday afternoon.  Add to all of that the fact that Mother Nature decided to drop a load of snow on me on my return trip.  By the time I got back to about 120 miles from home, I was passing multiple cars in the ditches.  Now the chairs are beautiful and were a fantastic deal but rest assured, we had a little talk when I finally made it back home and there are now some definite limits on how far away she can search on Facebook Marketplace.  What made it worse was that I only slept about 2 hours the night before I left.  Just one of those rare, for me, nights that I just couldn't sleep. 

OMG I know exactly how you feel.  We lived in Geauga county for a couple of years, near Kent / Streetsboro area. While we were there THE wife found a great Christmas tree farm.  Well, when we moved back to the west side of town she decided that we had to go there to get our tree.  I loaded her and the kids up in a Reliant K car, drove 1.5 hours to the other side of town for the tree. She picks one I tell her is too big for our house but I proceeded to cut it down under protest.  Kent is in the snow belt and we are getting hammered. coming across 480 from 271 they are closing the highway as we pass each exit. We get off near Rt 83 to head north to Avon Lake. We are the ONLY ones on the road. Took us almost 4 hours to get home. Those from the area will understand the road references. 

BTW:  I had to cut 3 feet off the bottom of the @#$^# tree. 

• Haha 2

• They would have had to been a very good deal for me. 800 miles would have been over 50 gal of gas so $210 round about and 12 hours drive @ oh say $12 an hour (work cheap for the other half) $144 . I guess you did OK hope it wasnt to bad of a trip.

It felt bad at the time bit really wasn't bad.  It's over with now and the chairs are really nice.  The Caravan gets about 23 MPG on the road and I figure it cost me less than $140.00 in gas.  She bought these right.  $300.00 for the pair and I think they cost about 1200 to 1400 each when they were bought new.  She did well I guess.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2023 at 6:29 AM, Freebird said:

Those would have to be some really, REALLY nice recliners! ;)