IGNORED

New to me 2009 Venture!

75kona

Hello all,

Sorry in advance for the long winded post. I joined this forum back in 2014 when I had a question about a friends RSTD and now I am back with my own Venture! First off a little about me, I have owned approximately 10 bikes throughout the last 15 years. Mostly Yamaha's, some Harleys. I have had Roadstars, Stratoliners, a RSTD, and now this Venture. For 7 years in a row,, back in the day, some friends and I would go on traditional 7 day 3000 mile "ish" road trip. Went through a divorce a couple of years back and now just getting back into it. 

I found this 2009 Venture for sale locally to me. It has been sitting in a storage locker for almost a year. It has 34k miles on it.  A few aftermarket add ons such as grips, exhaust, and headlights. The battery was stone dead but with the help of some jumpers we got it running and it purred just like all my other 4 cylinders did. The front tire was flat so I was unable to test ride it unfortunate.

I ended up buying it for $2500. While I don't think its an amazing deal I do think it was a good one. Brought it home and gave it a real quick wash and boy does she shine. Things I will do in the coming months are as follows:

-New tires (date coded 2018)

-New battery (already bought one need to install it) 

-Complete fluid change (synthetic)

-Find and install factory exhaust (These are too loud, not sure about proper back presser and car jetting??) 

-Fresh fuel (run seafoam through)

-New plugs

- Re adjust rear bag guards (Loose hardware) 

I will tackle anything else that comes up beyond the basics listed above. Really looking forward to hitting the road again and doing it in comfort. I will attempt to attach photos, no promises though lol I am looking forward learning lots about this bike through this forum. 

IMG_4442.jpg

IMG_4443.jpg

IMG_4506.jpg

IMG_4510.jpg

IMG_4512.jpg

IMG_4516.jpg

IMG_4517.jpg

IMG_4518.jpg

IMG_4519.jpg

Edited by 75kona
  • Like 3

The mufflers are an eazy fix pretty much. Finding OEM's might be tough, but HD touring factory jobs are pretty much a bolt on deal. No muss no fuss. The info is around the site here somewhere. The HD OEM take offs go pretty cheap say under $50 pair.

3 hours ago, djh3 said:

The mufflers are an eazy fix pretty much. Finding OEM's might be tough, but HD touring factory jobs are pretty much a bolt on deal. No muss no fuss. The info is around the site here somewhere. The HD OEM take offs go pretty cheap say under $50 pair.

I actually found a set of OEM local to me but for $100 which I thought was steep. Don't you need an "L" bracket made to get the HD OEMs to fit properly? coincidently enough that if the exact question I signed up here in 2014 to get answered lol  

Edited by 75kona

Don't forget a coolant flush and probably replace the rubber "freeze plugs" on each jug behind the bolt on fins because they tend to shrink with age and leak.  Otherwise a nice touring bike at a fraction of the cost of other options on the market.  

In the muffler swap. Yes there is a post on here with a template to make what they called "hockey stick" bracket I think. But even easier was I think 3/4" adel electrical clamps off the back HD muffler bolt hole, a 1/4" 3/4" maybe long bolt. The clamp goes around the saddle bag guard at back and bolts to the HD muffler. You will also need a clamp V -twin manufacture used to have a slightly wider clamp. I personally used a stainless worm clamp, not pretty but worked fine.

On 1/21/2023 at 7:01 PM, dunkins1 said:

I happen to have oem exhaust from a 2003 Midnight Venture in near new condition. The original owner replaced with Bubs pipes. If anyone is interested let me know.

Bill

Where are you located? I’m very interested.sending you a message