IGNORED

Venture Max HD Build

HermanK84VR

Hi All

I am finally getting my Venture Max HD Build started and have been collecting parts for the Bike since I purchased it in 2018

**I am missing the Front axle Spacer so I am hoping someone on here has one that I can purchase.

**I am also looking for a set of Solid Motor Mounts I have the drawing to have some made but thought I would check to see if anyone has a set for sale before having some turned for me.

Here are some details of the build the plan is to have the bike completed and ready to ride from NB Canada to the 100th Ann of Laconia this coming June 2023

The starting model is a 1984 Venture Royale, I have pulled the 1200 (bad second Gear) and purchased a 1300 from a salvage yard out of an 1987 Venture from Ontario, found a set of Vmax heads with Cams from another salvage yard on ebay out of Georgia.

Engine is currently being re-assembled all new Gaskets and seals painted with Black metallic for the Main Block and heads, as well as the Clutch , stator and Water pump housings, Thanks to Skydoc providing some knowledge and feedback on the Clutch mods to save some $$$ I was able to use the 6 spring clutch pressure plate and push rod from the 84 1200 and use it with the 1300 clutch basket, removing and replacing the 1/2 friction disc with a full disc, purchased a set of HD springs and the clutch is ready to go.

Carburation will be the conversion to a single carb using a VTC motors Intake and VW pict 34 carburator.

Exhaust Piping I will be custom building new pipes out of SS Exhaust pipe, HD sportster Headers and a set of 2002 HD Road King Mufflers.

Block plates, valve covers center Twinkie, oil filter housing are all painted with Ceramic Hi heat header paint color is Cast Iron, all Chrome inserts to be polished and to remain

Steering will be handled with a new set of 1 1/4 in bars 10" mini apes mounted to the triple tree with a 1 piece bitwell HD Riser, new set of Brake and clutch masters, and handlebar mounted Mirrors, HD Handlebar controls. New set of Steering bearings, swap in of new progressive springs into the rebuilt front forks with new seals and dust caps, removal of the anti-dive units and install block off plates.

Rear brake Master is being replaced and the addition of HD Forward Controls are being added with custom mounts for Floor boards Rear master will be included on the Forward controls kit up front. Brackets to be fabricated

All brake and Clutch lines are being replaced with Russell Brand DOT certified brake hoses and fittings, with the addition of speed bleeders all original Calipers to be reused and rebuilt. All new Brake pads to be installed

Luggage boxes I am swapping out the side boxes and replacing with a set of HD hard bags as they have more room and personally prefer the look of these style of bags, purchased a set of HD Saddlebag brackets to cut down on some fabrication time.

I will retain the original Trunk and Fairing, and windshield and repair as needed with a plastic welder and plastic welding staples., all body panels Fenders and luggage containers to be painted thinking of Candy apple red over Black to give me a Black cherry Final color.

Headlight and all bulbs will be replaced with LED, I am also replacing the old fuse box with a new ATC style fuses.

New Tires 

New Engine Guards will need to be re fabricated to accommodate the forward controls.

I will continue to add to this post as the build progresses

1984 Venture Royale.JPG

1987 1300 engine on my stand using my custom built engine adapter.JPG

HD Saddlebags and 10in Mini apes.jpg

Bitwell Handlebar riser.jpg

Vmax Head ready to be installed.jpg

1300 engine in process of swapping heads Clutch pressure plate from the 84 installed with HD springs as suggested by Skydoc with  half disc removed and replaced with full disc.jpg

Engine ready for the front head.jpg

Left side of Enfgine.jpg

Right side of Engine.jpg

front axle spacer.jpg

• Like 1

Hey Saddlebum

send me a PM to let me know what you want for the spacer, the other thing is a set of solid mounts if you have a set you want to part with and Block off plates to remove the anti dives.

More of a want is the Gen 2 front forks and R1 calipers I missed out on these when i purchased the engine from NCK cycle salvage in Woodstock Ont. he had a set but sold them before i got back to say i wanted them.

let me know 

Thanks

Herman

• 2 weeks later...

Making progress on the build, Engine is now all done with Vmax heads , updated clutch, Fresh paint and ready to bolt in.

Started on the Bike, bolted in the old 1200 bare block and covers to Mock up the custom exhaust pipes, to adapt to the Road King Mufflers and HD saddle bags.

I should be finishing the Exhaust today, then start working on the forward controls, mounts and Mount adapters for Floorboards.

More to follow next weekend.

FKPX4487.JPG

NFMZ4495.JPG

TFUS3838.JPG

VGND2439.JPG

IMG_3081.JPG

IMG_3082.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All here is another update on the build

I have the pipes all welded up but ran out of gas in the Mig so I have some grinding and touch ups to do on the pipes. This past weekend was bitterly cold -29 deg C plus wind made it - 48 or 49 so working in the garage was just a bit too cold.

These pipes are made up from an old set of Harley sportster pipes (donated) and new 1 1/2" 304 SS Mandrel bend Exhaust pieces I purchased from Llyell's SS exhaust in ONT, 

I cut the top off the original collector box so I can retain the original Exhaust Mounting points under the engine and have the Joint to the rear down Pipe, the front Header pipes were cut at the slip joint and was replaced with a V Band SS Flanges to allow for future service and no gaskets are needed, the exit Pipes out the back are all 2" HD header pipes cut and rewelded using the existing bends to get past the venture center stand and swing arm components and provides straight back pipes for the Mufflers to slip onto.

I will post additional pictures once I have cleaned up the welds and complete the Muffler hanger points at the rear.

I will working on measurements tonight to get started on the Forward controls and Floorboard Brackets more to come on that.

IMG_3093.JPG

IMG_3094.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Back in the shop today and was able to finish up all the modifications for the HD Saddlebag Mounting Brackets and Muffler Hangers, I was able to Order a set of HD Muffler hanger Bushings then built the hanger to fit the bushings.

Also had to make some alterations to the Pipe I built, the 2 Front Pipe V Flanges with the Clamps were too tight against the oil Pan, I cut these back just behind the oil pan and extended both front Pipes and weld 2 new V flanges in place. it actually looks cleaner.

I had also Ran into an Alignment issue with the Left Side Muffler and had to Cut the Pipe and rotate it to level out the Muffler, re-welded the SS pipe and all looks straight now.

Will be working on the forward controls and Floor board Mounts tomorrow.

IMG_3107.JPG

IMG_3108.JPG

IMG_3109.JPG

IMG_3110.JPG

IMG_3105.JPG

IMG_3106.JPG

• 1 month later...

Hi Again Everyone

Work has been too busy and I haven't had much time to work on the project, I did manage to get the forward controls Mounted by Making a removable Bracket that bolts up to the Existing Engine Guard mounting points. Still need to complete the Floor board mounts which will also be attached to this Bracket assembly.

Some of you may recall I built an engine stand adapter for the V4 engines it should be in the archives this bracket is strong enough that I was able to test fire the engine and found my timing was out, I found a good Vmax1200 Video from Morley Muscle showing the correct Timing sequence, pulled the valve covers and corrected the timing and it now runs strong, I have attached a quick video of it running with the Single Pict 34 Carb.

More Updates to Come

Herman

BSHW4935.JPG

CLFX0891.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys

I was happy to hear it run!! This is a 1300 out of an 87 Venture with a set of Vmax heads, Intake manifold is by VTC Motors in Lithuania and the Carb is a VW Pict 34-3, Carb was purchased off amazon for about $120 Cdn.

The bonus with this it has a fuel cutoff solenoid when the Ignition is Off as well as an electric Choke,  the Carb is easy to adjust and there are many Jet sizes to fine tune this for the bike.

When I first ran the engine I knew right away the timing was out as it was backfiring bad and actually dislodged the Intake manifold, I found out these manifolds are built out of Schedule 80 Copper Elbows but they did not provision any Grooves, similar to the carburetor throats to help lock it into the intake boots, so after I corrected the timing I went to work on Fixing the Manifold design.

Because I work in the HVAC industry I have access to Silfoss Brazing rods for Welding Copper so I built up a ridge at the bottom of each Runner that now locks into the Intake Boot below the Ridge that goes into the Carbs Groove, it also makes a better seal once the clamps are tightened down so I should Not have any issues with this manifold slipping out of the Boots.

Herman

UCXD5890.JPG

• Like 2

Hi Everyone

Spent the last 2 days in the garage and made some progress with help from a good friend yesterday, spent Friday Evening Polishing the Pipes with the Dual Action sander I have most of the Grinding marks out of the Pipes with 240 need to pick up some 600 and 900 grit to continue on but you can start to see the shine of the SS.

Finalized the forward controls Mounting, then sorted out the New Engine Guard Mounting locations, Slight modification to the Rear Bag mounts, Pulled the old Block I used to Mock up and Fabricate the Exhaust Pipes, Last thing to Fabricate are the Floorboard Mounting brackets, almost finished all the fabrication and welding then my Batteries Die for the Auto Darken welding helmet, Tried welding with my old flip up Mask and it was like I forgot how to weld. Funny How we get used to these new auto darken masks you don't realize until you go back to a standard helmet.

Anyways I have attached some additional Pictures of the Forward controls and The Engine Guards and a couple sneak peek pics with the Plastics to give you a better Idea of how it should Look when I get it complete.

Once the Floorboards are done , next job is to pull the rest of the Bike apart starting with the Front end and completely rebuild , new Head bearings, front Axle bearings , rebuild the Calipers, install the Progressive springs, and replace the Fork seals Make up a set of Block off plates to delete the anti dives, then After that is the Rear swing arm and Rear subframe and Fuel tank pull everything apart and Clean up and rebuild it completely inspect all bushings and replace as needed add Grease nipples on all swing arm joints etc. and give the Frame a new coat of paint.

With the weather starting to get above 0 deg C I should be able to get in the garage in the evenings without having to preheat for an hour.

Until next time Take care all

Herman

PPOC8594.JPG

IMG_3153.JPG

IMG_3154.JPG

IMG_3155.JPG

IMG_3156.JPG

IMG_3158.JPG

IMG_3160.JPG

IMG_3163.JPG

IMG_3164.JPG

• Like 3

Hi everyone

I decided to have a look at my TCI module to replace the diodes as it is a recommended Preventative measure well it was a good thing I decided to take it apart I am not sure how these diodes actually still functioned.

They were all puff of powder as described in posts, but my case the diodes were literally being held together by the solder that held them to the board everyone of the diodes once unsolder fell apart.

I even toke some time to resolder other Cold joints on the remainder of the PCB.

I will test it on the second Bike on the weekend.

Herman

IMG_3167.JPG

IMG_3168.JPG

IMG_3169.JPG

IMG_3166.JPG

Hi Everyone

Ignition Module Preventative maintenance was a success tested the module on the second bike and all 4 cylinders are firing as they should

I am going to get some more Diodes and do the same to the other module of the Other Bike I will be selling Just for peace of mind.

I used 1N4001 rectifiers these are good to 50V and 1A. a solder sucker and Solder Wick is a must for working on Double Sided Boards.

Herman

• Like 1

Hi Everyone

Finished up the floorboards today and finished all the welding,  the Forward control Bracket is complete, this one bolt on Bracket accommodates the Forward controls , Floorboard Mounts and Lower Engine guard Mount, 

It bolts up using the Original Engine Guard Mounting points on the Frame. 

Sitting on the Bike My feet are now comfortably forward with my Knee slightly opened up from 90 Deg  once the Highway pegs are added I will be able to completely stretch out my legs.

Let me know what you all think

Disassembly of the front and Rear tomorrow 

Have a good Night

Herman

IMG_3172.JPG

IMG_3170.JPG

IMG_3171.JPG

IMG_3176.JPG

IMG_3179.JPG

IMG_3180.JPG

IMG_3181.JPG

IMG_3183.JPG

• Like 4

Hi Everyone

Pulled the rest of the bike apart today to finish all the cleaning and prepping the frame for paint, Found the Bushing bad in the swing arm lots of play there also drilled and tapped holes to add Grease nipples on the swingarm/Shock linkages. I am hoping a local bearing shop has some bushings to fix up the linkages.

Frame is completely degreased and rinsed with warm water with the help of my Pump sprayer. 

Painting hopefully over the next couple nights so the Paint is dry enough to mount the Engine and start re-assembling.

Herman

IMG_3188.JPG

IMG_3195.JPG

IMG_3196.JPG

IMG_3199.JPG

IMG_3201.JPG

IMG_3187.JPG