IGNORED

Isolation relays

M61A1MECH

Trying to help a fellow with an Eluder, he wants to add running and turn signals to the front forks, he has found that if the turn signal circuits are connected directly to the LEDs he purchased there is a constant drain on the battery, even with the ignition off. Sounds crazy to me, but he has troubleshot it out so I believe he is correct.

So my question is , what have other forum members used for isolation relays to turn light circuits on and off. 

I have used isolation relays for my trailer harnesses, but they are currently unavailable due to part shortages, I have already recommended the isolation relay from EC that they used for their trailer harnesses, but both EC's offering and my traditional go to device are expensive for what he needs to do.

I am looking for a proven product, suitable for LEDs that does not break the bank.

Thanks

M61A1MECH

Hi Steve,

I can't answer your question but do have one of my own.

I purchased some cheap led panels that fit into the front/rear reflectors. They have two circuits. I attached power directly to running and turn signals. No parasitic drain. Installed on my 89 VR and the 2005 RSV. 

What gives with the Eluder? Or is it the LEDs?

4 hours ago, videoarizona said:

Hi Steve,

I can't answer your question but do have one of my own.

I purchased some cheap led panels that fit into the front/rear reflectors. They have two circuits. I attached power directly to running and turn signals. No parasitic drain. Installed on my 89 VR and the 2005 RSV. 

What gives with the Eluder? Or is it the LEDs?

Dave,

It is a mystery to me, makes no sense, but there is a resistor in line with each LED that maybe that knocks  down any parasitic draw, he tapped into the circuit between the ECU where the signal comes from and the resistors. He did find a 5mV charge on the lines, but that bled off quickly with just the meter load, so I chocked that up to capacitance in the wires.

Not knowing what is going on inside the ECU I really can not offer any rational explanation.

I thought maybe he had left the key on in the accessory position, but he said the bike alarms if the ignition is left on for a few minutes and he was sure he would have noticed the ignition switch in anything but the OFF position when he came back to it the next day.

He and the bike are in California and I am here in Florida, so I have no one on one with the bike and no knowledge of the bike's systems beyond what I read in the schematics.

I cannot believe the LEDs would be the issue.

We have selected a small encapsulated relay that has two normally open contacts, he is going to wire them in so they come on and close the contacts when the ignition is on and let the bike send the turn signal power to the added LEDs through the closed contacts.

Should work, he will let me knows once they are installed.

What puzzles me is he cannot be the first rider to try an add addition signal lights to the front of an Eluder and I just built a system for him that connects the rear turns, running and brake circuits to a Harley style tour pack, that all worked just fine, tapped into the rear lights just as you would for a trailer harness but without and isolator, that has been installed for over a week with no issues.

Here is for hoping the isolation relays do the trick.

• 1 month later...

One option for an isolation relay that can be used to turn light circuits on and off is the Bosch 0332209101 Relay. This relay is often used in automotive applications and can be used to isolate a circuit to prevent battery drain. It is a cost-effective option compared to other isolation relays and has been proven to work well with LED lights.

Another option is the Tyco V23234-A1001-X005 relay. This relay is also a commonly used option in automotive applications and has a compact design that makes it easy to install.

It's important to ensure that the relay is rated for the current that the LED lights will draw and that it is compatible with the voltage of the Eluder's electrical system.

3 hours ago, ozzey93 said:

One option for an isolation relay that can be used to turn light circuits on and off is the Bosch 0332209101 Relay. This relay is often used in automotive applications and can be used to isolate a circuit to prevent battery drain. It is a cost-effective option compared to other isolation relays and has been proven to work well with LED lights.

Another option is the Tyco V23234-A1001-X005 relay. This relay is also a commonly used option in automotive applications and has a compact design that makes it easy to install.

It's important to ensure that the relay is rated for the current that the LED lights will draw and that it is compatible with the voltage of the Eluder's electrical system.

Thanks for the info, I will keep those handy for future projects, below is a link to what we found and settled on, my customer has it installed using an ignition switched 12 volt source to power the relays up, at last report he is having no issues with them.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B60BQFA?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

• Like 1