IGNORED

Thinking about selling out

Freebird

Eileen and I have lived in this house for almost 25 years.  We love it here but as we get older, it is a lot to take care of.  Therefore, we have started thinking about downsizing and buying a smaller place.  Mainly a MUCH smaller yard.  We knew that this day would likely come but really had no plans to do it anytime soon.  Probably won't do anything until at least the spring or summer but I think the time has come.   We are going to start looking around a bit to see what is available in the price range that we plan to be in.  It will be hard to leave though.

IMG_0104.jpeg

• Like 3

We’re in the same boat. We’re looking to downsize and have a single story house. I have appointments soon to look at a hip replacement and maybe some work on my back. Stairs are not my friend, and since the kids are grown we have way too much house. 

• Like 2

We will  miss that place, your place, but life goes on and age creeps up. Soon enough we must all look at doing what is best. We lived for 24 years in our last place and then when it was time to move we chose were we are now, thinking that we might be getting a bit older as we lived here. Age is starting to show and I think we made the right choice, hopefully you will as well.

Kris and I recently(a year or two ago) down sized the house but up sized the yard. We love the house and yard(botanical garden), but the grounds are a lot of work. Not anywhere near the yard maintenance as you have Don, but a lot of "gardening".

I absolutely hate mowing grass. It might be different if I had enough area to run a hydrostatic zero turn mower, but the walk behind mowers simply suck.

• Like 1

Hey Don,

This one has really hit close to home with me, my friend! Our "Old" property had acres of grass and when our daughter went off to college (To hunt for a husband!) we downsized! It's been 12 years, and now my wife Jean is longing for a condo or something with NO grass, NO scratching snow off of the walkways, and she says "Room Service would be nice!" LOL!! Because of my shop on the property, I'm not ready to give that up just yet, but there MAY come a day when the creative juices aren't flowing any more. JUST NOT YET! I can fully understand why you would like to make your life a little easier, and in my opinion, you deserve it! Do what you feel is the best thing for you and Eileen, and I am sure everything will work out for the best! My dad used to say, "If I knew I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself!" He was a wise man, as are you Don, I'm sure you will make the right decision. Just don't forget to give us your NEW Address!

Earl and Jean.

Your home is very nice Don & Eileen!  As many of us are getting older I too am ready to down size.  However, the wife has me adding on 300 square feet.  I only mow 4 acres, so not so bad, and we have out lived the horses  dogs, cats, chickens  ducks and Goofy the African goose.  With raising  Grandchildren we need the room, so I guess we will stay here, Later- FB_IMG_1554859820045.jpg.ac8e2a3fde6cbf06881d345f386ed573.jpg

Edited by Red Ryder
Left out
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, skydoc_17 said:

Hey Don,

This one has really hit close to home with me, my friend! Our "Old" property had acres of grass and when our daughter went off to college (To hunt for a husband!) we downsized! It's been 12 years, and now my wife Jean is longing for a condo or something with NO grass, NO scratching snow off of the walkways, and she says "Room Service would be nice!" LOL!! Because of my shop on the property, I'm not ready to give that up just yet, but there MAY come a day when the creative juices aren't flowing any more. JUST NOT YET! I can fully understand why you would like to make your life a little easier, and in my opinion, you deserve it! Do what you feel is the best thing for you and Eileen, and I am sure everything will work out for the best! My dad used to say, "If I knew I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself!" He was a wise man, as are you Don, I'm sure you will make the right decision. Just don't forget to give us your NEW Address!

Earl and Jean.

My wife has been talking about a condo for a few years to ease with maintenance, but I need parking and garage, not ready to give up bikes.

• Thanks 1

That is a nice house you've lived in for 25 years Don.  Was great for maintenance day....camping, parking....pond monster.  But....the time comes for all of us to reduce the maintenance we have to do on home and relocate.
If you move before the next maintenance day....I can see Carl going in the direction of your "old" house and have to do at least one u-turn.
Worst thing about selling/moving though....is the packing.  After 25 years you accumulate a lot of things.....and you'll wish those things you kept because you might need them some day you'll regret not disposing of them sooner !

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good luck Don, my Dad downsized after fifty years in the same place and it almost turned into a night mare and he still does not have his shop cleaned out. it is amazing at all the stuff we accumulate over the years but I am glad he did it instead of leaving it up to me and my brothers. Remember the charities we carried truck loads of stuff to the Teen Challenge organization  

21 hours ago, XV1100SE said:

That is a nice house you've lived in for 25 years Don.  Was great for maintenance day....camping, parking....pond monster.  But....the time comes for all of us to reduce the maintenance we have to do on home and relocate.
If you move before the next maintenance day....I can see Carl going in the direction of your "old" house and have to do at least one u-turn.
Worst thing about selling/moving though....is the packing.  After 25 years you accumulate a lot of things.....and you'll wish those things you kept because you might need them some day you'll regret not disposing of them sooner !

You'd best prepare the new owners of my dilemma, I wouldn't put the info in the offer though, just tell them as you hand over the keys. 

Naw, we will likely stay around here.  I kind of like it here and my wife is from here.   Winters get old but they aren't that bad and summers are great.  No hurricanes and very few tornados.  No flooding problems where I live.  So.....not likely to move very far,.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hey Don,

Speaking from experience, a tent down by the pond would be a great relocation option. You could then "Rent Out" the Big House and make a fortune! Our recent winter evenings would be exsillerating, (to say the least) but other than that, would be a piece of cake for a true frontiersman such as yourself! LOL!! I do remember being at one of your legendary Maint. Days during the first week in June and suffering only Minor frostbite so maybe a traditional "Brick and Mortar" home might be a better choice! 

Just thinking out loud here,

Earl 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Freebird said:

Naw, we will likely stay around here.  I kind of like it here and my wife is from here.   Winters get old but they aren't that bad and summers are great.  No hurricanes and very few tornados.  No flooding problems where I live.  So.....not likely to move very far,.

I spent 3 yrs and 8 months in Homestead, FL just south of Miami working on the nuclear plant there and I love the weather down there.  Winter lasts about 2 weeks and the summers aren't any hotter than where I live in Wilmington, NC, just longer.  The water from about Ft. Lauderdale south is crystal clear and the fishing is fantastic.  We spent lots of time in the Keys fishing and visited Key West many times.  And there is a reef  from about Ft. Lauderdale south past Key West that keeps the waves down, so it's a fantastic place to go snorkeling or fishing.   Only thing about Homestead and the Miami area is that the crime level is higher than normal.  That is when I got a carry permit for the first time.  

I'm the old guy in the photo if you couldn't guess😁

002.JPG

Edited by BlueSky
  • Like 4

I know how you feel Don,  we did the same thing 3 years ago.  We cut our square footage in half and went south far enough to get maybe 1 snow a year.  We  were in our previous home 32 years and let me tell you,  at least double the time you think it will take to sell off what you do not want to take to the new place.  Good luck finding the next place.

• Like 1

Well, my wife is from Long Island and I'm actually from an area about 30 minutes north of Don. I miss having more land, a lot. We have lived in cities mostly with lawns that can be mowed, trimmed and all cleaned up in about 20 - 30 minutes since we got married. I can't stand the street lights, even after 35+ years of this. I've convinced her we need to look for something with 2+ acres.  I would prefer 10+ but I can't afford that in Texas and be close enough to a major airport for work. Right now we're looking around Jacksonville, FL. Not sure I would want all the flower beds, a garden for vegetables, herbs and peppers with some fruit trees would be nice. I'm in my mid 50's and yes a lot of the body hurts from foolish stuff as a kid, I firmly believe the key to a longer healthier life is a lot of moving around and working. I have a lot of relatives that lived past 100. Jokingly I tell everyone I'm going to live to be 149 and be shot by a jealous husband as I run away. Gotta have goals. BTW here's the current yard. 

IMG_0529.jpeg

Back yard 1.jpeg

• Like 3