IGNORED

Not motorcycle, more on cell phones?

RDawson

I am severing my ties with AT&T after 22 years. I am looking at T-Mobile and Verizon as the bigger carriers around here, the smaller companies don't have much coverage here. Any comments about the dealings with these two companies are what I'm looking for. The service wasn't the issue here, it was some underhanded dealing they did that I will not tolerate. Any recommendations?

Hey Ronnie,

My nephew is an IT guy, and he turned us onto Mint Mobile. If you purchase it by the year, it's $15 a month. When we ordered the phones, we mentioned that ATT was the best cell tower coverage at my nephew's suggestion, and when they sent the SIM Chip, it was set up to ping ATT first. We all use Samsung phones and in the settings you can actually select which towers to ping first. When we traveled to California from Pennsylvania, I adjusted the phone in the settings for the best coverage while traveling across certain states, and it worked like a charm. The service is straightforward, no hidden fees, you get 4 GIG of data every month, but if you need more, you can double it for $10. This has been better by far than ANY Senior Plan offered even by the government for seniors. We had ATT and Verizon over the years, and the pricing and service were just awful. Being the skeptic I am, I tried the "One Month FREE" plan they offered at the time, beat all of the bugs out of my phone, (They even let us carry our "new" old phones over to the new plan, and keep our numbers) and when I was all warm and fuzzy about it, I purchased the 1 year plan, and have never looked back! Three years and running, still not a single issue. They even offer deals on new phones to go with the plans. NO CONTRACTS! If you don't like it, switch to something else at the end of the month. The way things are today, this is pretty much the FAIREST deal I have been able to find on cell phone packages. 

I hope this helps you Ronnie, It sure made my life easier.

Earl

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We live in the out in the sticks so I’m still trying to test coverage, there is no fiber optic or internet offered here so cellphones are our only connection to the world. Verizon has signal here but T Mobile is cheaper, just gotta find out about signal. Thanks y’all. 

Hey Ron, like you we live in the sticks, infact 0-1 bars on cell phone.  Put up old TV tower, 50 ohm wiring with directional signal antenna, with Cel-fi Go X signal booster & interior wide band panel antenna. Now pointing to a Verizon or subsidiaries tower we get 2-full bars, which works the best around here.

• Like 1

Visable is a great alternative, but keep in mind, you can only connect 1 device to the hot spot at a time, deal breaker for me   needed for wifi   but it works great   trying mint mobile now   no limit to how many that can connect

We ended up with Verizon. My issue with AT&T was they added hidden options on my bill that I specifically declined, since I never see the bill it took two years to catch it, to the extra cost of $1560 plus taxes. While I did recover most of the money, I gave them the option of a full refund if $1560 or the loss of a 22 year customer. They chose to keep approximately $150 over my future business. 

Edited by RDawson

WE just switched from Verizon to T-Mobile. Our son's family was looking to switch and did the research on price. Where we live Verizon coverage wasnt terrible, but spotty. To use at home had to use wifi to get good signal. T mobile has been OK, but coverage is not absolute everywhere here. Price wise on the military plan it only saves us about 8 bucks over Verizon. But it helps out the kids. He also signed up for T mobiles internet. He lives about 50 miles as crow flys north of us and says his internet is very good. Now if I could only have a choice of internet/TV providers. Looked at the whole stream thing and its no deal anymore. Heck it can run you more.

In Manitoba we have /and had MTS and all was great ...Now that BELL is taking over and will be replacing  MTS  as of February 2023  ....The billing  has increased 35% in the last 4 months and the service is less half of what we had before ...The customer care with  BELL is at best poor and it seems they don't what happens east of Toronto  ... When big money rolls in look out anything that was working well is wiped out and replaced with senseless red tape  ... Bell at this point does not care  if anyone  east of Toronto continues stays on to be a BELL customer   

22 hours ago, gorski said:

Visable is a great alternative, but keep in mind, you can only connect 1 device to the hot spot at a time, deal breaker for me   needed for wifi   but it works great   trying mint mobile now   no limit to how many that can connect

You can teather a mobile wifi router to your phone and get around the hot spot limitation.   I used a GLnet Slate wifi router.

On 12/8/2022 at 12:34 AM, larrydr said:

In Manitoba we have /and had MTS and all was great ...Now that BELL is taking over and will be replacing  MTS  as of February 2023  ....The billing  has increased 35% in the last 4 months and the service is less half of what we had before ...The customer care with  BELL is at best poor and it seems they don't what happens east of Toronto  ... When big money rolls in look out anything that was working well is wiped out and replaced with senseless red tape  ... Bell at this point does not care  if anyone  east of Toronto continues stays on to be a BELL customer   

I gave up on bell 25 years ago.  Their cell service was spotty  had to stand outside on my front porch to use my cell and they shafted me on my so called high speed internet. After 2 years of on again off again high speed internet  on of their service reps was honest enough to inform me that the lines in my nieghbourhood were too old to reliably carry a consistent signal and I would be further ahead to revert to standard speed. When my contract ended I switched to rogers and never looked back getting great reception anywhere I went in Canada the US and Europe.