IGNORED

Buyer Beware

1BigDog

I thought long and hard about putting my current issue here on the forum but at this point I feel that a fair warning is needed. I have been a member here since its inception until 2014 when I sold my RSV. One of the first things that I have done when I bought my 2005 RSV trike was to rejoin. The camaraderie and others willing to help each other out is amazing. So, without getting into the whole he said, she said thing I'll just lay out the basic facts and go from there. I also know that this person is well liked here and other forums but my dealings with him have been less than stellar. I know your opinion of him won't change and I'm good with that. Im just relaying MY personal experience here. 

My trike developed the dreaded carb gas into oil leak and needed to be rebuilt. Everyone said to go with Mikes rebuild exchange carbs. I spoke with Mike and agreed to send my old carbs in exchange for a rebuilt set. Ill add here that I had replaced just about all of my fuel lines and a new filter so there will be no issues. Started it up and fuel was coming out of the overflow. It eventually stopped, and after synching the carbs it ran great until it started blowing gas back out. A call to Mike had him insisting that some debris from MY fuel line would be found in the needle. Took the carbs off, checked each needle and seat, found no debris and blew some light compressed air through. Put it all back together, fired it up and all was well until I rolled out into the driveway and started leaking fuel once again. Ran Seafoam into it and it finally stopped. Took it on a 60 mile ride and all was great until I got home and it happened once again. Now the carbs are off for a third time. Once again there is no debris visible unless its old stuff blocking one of the passageways. I then requested to send my carbs back for another set or my old set. Lets just say things went downhill from there and I now find myself basically shut down with no solution and out 500 bucks. I was trying to keep the conversation civil but it didn't go that way. Whether we see eye to eye on something or not, personal feelings are not to be in play when this was nothing more than a business transaction. Also, this isn't the first major purchase I have made with him. But that fact didn't seem to matter. He is refusing to even acknowledge my messages. I liken this experience to buying an appliance. You supposedly get a warranty. However, when you try to use that warranty all the company wants to do is assign blame first in an effort to not cover it. He claims that my issue will be the first carb issue as all of his previous rebuilds were fault free. Well, there always one but I also know of another set of carbs that had issues and it took the owner about a month to sort it out. 

So, take this for what it is. A fair warning. Those who have known me over the years also know that I have been very thorough and meticulous with any work that I have done on any of my bikes. At 67 I no longer have that desire to continuously work on my bikes but it has to be done out of necessity. One other thing. I made the mistake of following instructions and sent it as a gift through PayPal. Bad move on my part as it took away any recourse that I might have had. Treat people the way you would want to be treated. 

• Like 1

I think I can see both side of the story as I read your words.

First you say that you replaced almost all of the fuel lines, so that would mean to be 'not all' and the one or two that didn't get replaced could be the culprit.

Second: which of the carbs is doing the leaking, is it always the same one?

Fuel lines have a tendency to break down after time, but it happens slowly, so you very well might get some nice riding time in between issues, but it will continue to happen time and time again.

It doesn't take a lot of dirt to cause your issue, might even be hard to see with the naked eye.

Best maybe bench test the whole set together, use only 3-4 lbs pressure. Be sure to make things act as though they were on the bike,so make fuel flow through the barbs, have them shut off and re-flow again. You can do that by using the drain screws, but only let it slowly drip, not pouring out.

Replace all the fuel lines after the filter. Don't go cheap, use quality product.

I agree with Mike that sending the carbs back might not solve your problem but only make things more frustrating for you both.

Again, replace all the lines to eliminate that possible cause.

• Like 2

just going to throw this out there then leave it there. Shortly after buying my 99, we were almost out of gas and shifted to reserve just to have it quit running. long story short, the bike had set for a long time prior to me buying it and i didnt dump and clean the tank because it was running when i got it. So just maybe your problem is crap int the tank. If the bike runs ok for short runs then maybe its comming from somewhere other then the carbs. Always check every possibility.

Another update: took the rebuilt carbs off for a third time now. Ran cleaner and compressed air through everything. The floats were way off too so I adjusted them to V7 Gooses settings, just like I did with my old 99. I found absolutely NO debris anywhere in the carbs or lines. Nothing in the needle or seat. Nothing in the flow chamber under the needle/seat. Even did the float test on each float and they were fine. Fired up the bike and within a few seconds, fuel was spilling back out the overflows once again. Only logical thing that I can come up with is its either a deeply crude passageway or a bad body. 

Now, ill say this again. I have extensive knowledge of the RSV. Learned through many years of working or customizing it. I even have 1st gen experience. Bottom line is that I gave this "plug and play" rebuilt carb set from Eykamp every opportunity to work. It is obviously a bad set. Unfortunately Eykamp refused to acknowledge and correct it and now has ceased all communications with me. He does not stand behind his work. So while many will defend him, I cannot. Im now out 500 bucks with no recourse. A good friend gave me a set off a RSV that he will be parting out. I know the set runs but im ordering a new KL rebuild kit and will replace the seats and needles myself. 86 bucks for the part and its not rocket science. 

Take this warning for what its worth. A warning. And in the future, if its a business transaction on PayPal, send it as such. At least you will have some type of protection. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1BigDog said:

Another update: took the rebuilt carbs off for a third time now. Ran cleaner and compressed air through everything. The floats were way off too so I adjusted them to V7 Gooses settings, just like I did with my old 99. I found absolutely NO debris anywhere in the carbs or lines. Nothing in the needle or seat. Nothing in the flow chamber under the needle/seat. Even did the float test on each float and they were fine. Fired up the bike and within a few seconds, fuel was spilling back out the overflows once again. Only logical thing that I can come up with is its either a deeply crude passageway or a bad body. 

Now, ill say this again. I have extensive knowledge of the RSV. Learned through many years of working or customizing it. I even have 1st gen experience. Bottom line is that I gave this "plug and play" rebuilt carb set from Eykamp every opportunity to work. It is obviously a bad set. Unfortunately Eykamp refused to acknowledge and correct it and now has ceased all communications with me. He does not stand behind his work. So while many will defend him, I cannot. Im now out 500 bucks with no recourse. A good friend gave me a set off a RSV that he will be parting out. I know the set runs but im ordering a new KL rebuild kit and will replace the seats and needles myself. 86 bucks for the part and its not rocket science. 

Take this warning for what its worth. A warning. And in the future, if its a business transaction on PayPal, send it as such. At least you will have some type of protection. 

Do get back to us on how the 'new' other set works for you.

• Like 1

On 11/9/2022 at 7:26 AM, Marcarl said:

I think I can see both side of the story as I read your words.

First you say that you replaced almost all of the fuel lines, so that would mean to be 'not all' and the one or two that didn't get replaced could be the culprit.

Second: which of the carbs is doing the leaking, is it always the same one?

Fuel lines have a tendency to break down after time, but it happens slowly, so you very well might get some nice riding time in between issues, but it will continue to happen time and time again.

It doesn't take a lot of dirt to cause your issue, might even be hard to see with the naked eye.

Best maybe bench test the whole set together, use only 3-4 lbs pressure. Be sure to make things act as though they were on the bike,so make fuel flow through the barbs, have them shut off and re-flow again. You can do that by using the drain screws, but only let it slowly drip, not pouring out.

Replace all the fuel lines after the filter. Don't go cheap, use quality product.

I agree with Mike that sending the carbs back might not solve your problem but only make things more frustrating for you both.

Again, replace all the lines to eliminate that possible cause.

I agree and I know just what kind of problems  lines , dirt , dirty filters can do ...I will no longer buy a $2.00 filter when there a $6.00 filter next to it and will only buy quality / industrial grade fuel lines

I spend most of days working on bikes that have not run for years ...Good Luck and have fun

• Like 1

I think the whole point is being missed. I paid for a highly touted carb rebuild exchange that was supposed to be a plug and play operation. I shouldn’t be going through what is basically my own rebuild to find what’s wrong with it. I paid for a product and now, because it’s not working properly I have no recourse. Sometimes it is what it is. Stand behind your work,  not refuse to help or correct it because of some arrogance. Since it’s a rebuild exchange I would have no knowledge of just how the set might have been treated by whatever previous owner it belonged to. 

• Like 1

This will be my last post on this issue. Took my friends carbs and replaced the needle and seat assembly with KL parts. Thoroughly cleaned them. Float levels were good. Put it on and the bike fired right up. Took it for a test ride and she's running just fine now. Even the sync wasn't that far off. Im going to be out 500 bucks on this. Make no mistake about it. However. In any future dealings with any PayPal transactions, it will be as goods and services, not as a gift. At least that way it would give you some recourse. Ride safe and have a great Thanksgiving

• Like 5