IGNORED

Amplifier for speakers

Hey 👋🏻 i hope everyone is have a great day.(04 midnight venture)  I have a real quick question, about better quality amplifier that works best with the polk 4inch speakers. The thing is, my polk speakers are really high quality and good speakers (highly recommend! Very good quality music through those speakers) are playing very nice under 60km/h, but as soon as it hits above 60km/h, the speakers are starting to lose their quality (base e.t.c..) the volume is obviously going higher but the base is going down, i believe here are some good people who have experienced same, and found the solution to it. I believe it’s the amplifier issue, can anyone recommend how to solve this problem,(i’m a big fan of listening to music while riding a bike 🎶🥁🎸🥰)and what amplifier fits my 04 midnight venture, for those speakers. Thank you and ride safe everyone 🤝🏻 much love ❤️ (i’ll drop a picture of the speakers i got)

99504B86-C1C3-4947-BDA1-9E9473BE0676.jpeg

I'm not a super expert on this, but I know that the faster you ride the more bass you will loose. Bass is the slower moving frequency of the spectrum and needs something to bounce off of in order to develop. I think the best solution would be to a proper subwoofer to the setup, but hey, did you want to sit on the bike as well?

• Like 1

On 11/8/2022 at 7:25 PM, Marcarl said:

I'm not a super expert on this, but I know that the faster you ride the more bass you will loose. Bass is the slower moving frequency of the spectrum and needs something to bounce off of in order to develop. I think the best solution would be to a proper subwoofer to the setup, but hey, did you want to sit on the bike as well?

Hey, thanks for the replay, yes i would like to have a good quality music with good bass while riding my bike. 🤝🏻

• 6 months later...

Old post but I'm going to reply. Long post:

The problem with our speakers is 3 fold.

1. Amp is weak. Maybe 10 watts per channel rms. 

2. Speakers are 4 inch. To small/cheap to really put out decent sound.

3. Speaker enclosure is, in reality, non existent.

Speakers require power to be able to accurately move the voice coil and speaker cone. There are seriously good speakers that are 4 inch(think recording studio monitors), but we don't have the power to drive them properly. Nor do we have to enclosure to dampen the cones. Without those two things, we could easily blow a speaker by throwing to much garbage at it. It simply won't work well. 

If we had a tad more room in the fairing speaker enclosure, we could add fiberglass to help dampen the air flow .. Giving the speaker cone some resistance... Allowing for higher volume without distortion. But we don't. We could tear out the back of the abs behind the speaker and build an exposure, but no room. 

Bottom line.... You can add an amplifier. It will give you more volume. But more bass? No way. Plus you will get to enjoy more distortion as well. You can add an amplifier and seriously good 4 inch speakers($$$) but the enclosure is going to work against you. Will you gain something? Yea ... But not as much as you should. It's that worth it? That's your call 

The best solution is a good pair of ear buds. I bought an adapter that plugs in between my helmet and the intercom/speaker cord. I then plug in my ear bud to that.  The only issues with ear buds is a. Fitting them inside helmet. b. Finding good ones that also have passive noise reduction to keep out air flow and real world noise. If you don't wear a helmet then (b) is a must. To protect your hearing as well as allow you to actually hear the music!

These are about the best of both worlds when it comes to noise isolation and frequency response. The issue is whether they will fit under your helmet comfortably. I have an older version of them. Been using for 15 years. Went cross country.... Had no hearing issues, wasn't tired from wind blasting, comfortable all day! They were, and still are, the very best.... Short of having customized ear buds like musicians do ($$$). 

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1475383-REG/etymotic_research_er2xr_extended_response_earphones.html?ap=y&smp=ba_f1_ll&srsltid=AR57-fAMjHpFkAZczDGIyUkS9eSbuH-HhILamNPpvkLKoZIYaRG6-jtW5kA

Lastly, there is an alternative. Cheaper. But still decent sound and noise reduction if you make them properly. Just search Internet. Available from really cheap to expensive ear bud monitors, custom made. You mold them to your ears.

Add to this, you can get them with bluetooth. A tiny bluetooth transmitter plugged into to our system will give you all day wireless audio.  Or, add a Garmen type gps plugged in and get turn by turn direction's, music, xm radio, tape deck and am/fm radio... All in one!

So many choices!

Hope this helps...

David