IGNORED

How do you lift your trike?

Freebird

Those of you with the Hannigan trike with floorboards, how do you lift it?  When I changed my front wheel a couple of days ago, I had a hard time figuring out a good way to lift it.  I did get it done but I did NOT find a good way.  The normal lift adapter will not work due to the floorboards mounting brackets.  I ended up lifting it with a floor jack under one of the stock floorboard brackets.  Or course all it lifted was the front which was all I needed this time. Lifting it from just one side worked OK but was a bit scary.  I got the job done but would prefer a better solution.  Maybe the only answer is to remove the floor boards but there has to be an easier way.  

Edited by Freebird

I have a skid plate on mine. I think I got it from Carbon One.

When just lifting the front, I Use a regular bike jack and lift on the front of the plate.

If I need to lift the whole trike I lift the rear first and set it on jack stands then move to the front.

I have a stack of 6 2x8s I set the front wheel on.

It's not that high but it's a lot more comfortable working height.

I wish I had room for a real lift.

• Like 1

Just now, Steve S said:

I have a 4-ton floor jack that I have used to pick up the rear so I could put jack stands under the axle to remove the tires.  I believe it's low enough to go under the floorboards when I need to pick up the front. 

Yes, but when lifting the front, where do you lift from?  Mine will go under the floorboards but then what?  Without the lift adapter for the Venture, where do you lift it from?  The only way I can see to use the standard lift adapter is to remove the floorboards and I don't want to do that every time.  

I think that something like that is the answer.  Unfortunately, the Amazon reviews aren't good on any of those,  Bearings falling apart, mild steel jack screw, etc.  I think I'm going to look at building one with a similar top rail but that I can use with a hydraulic floor jack.  I'll see what I can come up with.

• Like 1

Hello Freebird.

I picked my trike up today to get it ready to change out the clutch.  I slid my floor jack under the engine coming in from the front beside the tire. I rolled it back far enough to get it under the oil pan to get a solid purchase on the engine. I picked up high enough to get 3 2X8s under the front tire, then lifted the rear using the trailer hitch, and put jack stands under the rear differential.  It is very solid to work under while I remove and replace the floorboards. 

I'll let you know how the clutch exchange works out.  

Steve