IGNORED

88 Venture XVZ1300 starter problem

I bought an old 1988 Venture Royale 1300.  Put a new battery in it and tried to start it.  The instrument panel went through it's check and the only error I saw was a bicycle pump still on.  I am sure that means the compressor is bad.

I made sure the kill switch was not on and pressed the start button.  No start, no sound, nothing.

I do hear the fuel pump come on every time I turn the key on and it leaks like a shive from between the exhausts, but there is no solenoid clicking nor is there sound from cranking the starter.

I will keep at this till I get done restoring it.  Any help pointing me in the right direction, would be very much appreciated.

Be careful of the leaking fuel, sounds like floats are stuck open and can fill the cylinders with gas. Can be catastrophic. Start with checking clutch, sidestand, neutral safety switches for starting. You can short the starter relay to make it turn. 

11 hours ago, RDawson said:

Be careful of the leaking fuel, sounds like floats are stuck open and can fill the cylinders with gas. Can be catastrophic. Start with checking clutch, sidestand, neutral safety switches for starting. You can short the starter relay to make it turn. 

Seeing as you have gas leaking out as Ronnie said and you have the possibility of raw fuel in a cylinder, I would remove the left side center of the engine cover and turn the engine over by hand before anything else. If the starter does kick in and there is raw fuel in the cylinder it will not be small issue.

4 hours ago, saddlebum said:

You may want to sort out the carb issue first. The carbs have four overflow hoses that drain out at the rear of the engine between the exhaust pipes.

Saddlebag, your right.  The gas is coming out at the back of the engine between the pipes.

I am assuming that RDawson post "Could be catastrophic" and Marcarl "no small issue", meaning it could catch fire when trying to start it?

I've never had a problem like that yet. LOL, but there's always that possibility.

I don't know if the motor is ceased up from sitting.  I will pour in some Seafoam in the spark plug hole before I try to start it up next.

Edited by inthewind60
Addition

If the carbs are leaking, gas might fill up any cylinder that has an open intake valve and if the starter attempts to turn the engine over the engine could be hydrolocked and bend a connecting rod.  I think that is what they were referring to.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlueSky said:

If the carbs are leaking, gas might fill up any cylinder that has an open intake valve and if the starter attempts to turn the engine over the engine could be hydrolocked and bend a connecting rod.  I think that is what they were referring to.  

Yep, and pouring a liquid into the cylinder will only make matters worse. Take out all the plugs before you turn it over, just to be safe, and turning it over by hand is still a much better way than the starter if there are possible issues.

First figure out the gas spillage issue, then I would suggest you remove all the spark plugs from the engine, and open up the lower left access cover in the big engine cover and you can get a socket and ratchet in there and spin the motor by hand and see if it will turn spin for you. This will let you know if it is ceased up or not.  Also if you check the Tech Library you will find a PDF of the service manual that will assist you in trouble shooting the starting issues and there are numerous safety switches that need to be working properly for it to start..

Good luck and let us know how it is going..

Rick F.

Looks like my next move is to take out 4 carbs and either replace or rebuild them.  After that, I'll take off the cover plate and make sure the engine can turn over by hand.  I forgot to mention the bike has not been started in 5 years, so I'm glad the starter didn't work.

Edited by inthewind60

before I would do anything with the carbs I would make sure the engine will turn over. I say this because rebuilding the carbs is not a cheap thing to do. There is no true carb kit available with all the needed parts in it. You will have to piece meal the parts you need and of course you will need at least 4 of everything.  I am not sure of anyone that is selling rebuilt card for the 86-93 Ventures at this time. There are some articles on how to do it in the Tech Library you can look over to help you get familiar with the process.'

Rick F.

Good advice.  Maybe even get the starter working and check the compression to make sure the engine is okay first.  The tackle the carbs.  I think there are a couple of guys who will rebuild your carbs for you.  No idea what the cost would be.  You can buy a video about how to rebuild the carbs from one of those guys.  I have one but I don't recall the name of the person I bought it from.   I'll find out if you are interested.  

19 hours ago, BlueSky said:

Good advice.  Maybe even get the starter working and check the compression to make sure the engine is okay first.  The tackle the carbs.  I think there are a couple of guys who will rebuild your carbs for you.  No idea what the cost would be.  You can buy a video about how to rebuild the carbs from one of those guys.  I have one but I don't recall the name of the person I bought it from.   I'll find out if you are interested.  

I need to make sure the engine is not seized first.  Once the pistons move again I will look at the carbs.  Yes, I would like to get ahold of that video and the info on having the carbs rebuilt.  This is naturally not an overnight project. Winter is around the corner and am hoping for a very cold season.  Keeps the bugs down. I'll work on the bike as I can.

I want to thank all of you for your advice and thoughts. Thanks again.

The gentleman that sold the Vmax carb rebuild video is named Damon Ferraiuolo and his email is  Damon_Ferraiuolo@msn.com .  This address is from a post from 2017 Venture Rider post.

You can check out this forum and there is a link to a PDF file on rebuilding a Vmax set of carbs. They are very similar to the Venture 1300 carbs. https://v4musclebike.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14681 it in the first message in the session.  I have his video and found it very informative to say the least.

I hope this helps

Rick F.

@inthewind60 also I don’t think anyone mentioned yet from your original post.  The dash check has nothing to do with the compressor, I’m assuming the “bicycle pump” you're referencing is the side stand indicator (first block).  If the trans is in gear with the side stand down the starter will not engage.

Additionally the compressor and CLASS will only activate when the key is in the ACC position.

Edited by Pasta Burner

On 10/25/2022 at 9:17 PM, cimmer said:

The gentleman that sold the Vmax carb rebuild video is named Damon Ferraiuolo and his email is  Damon_Ferraiuolo@msn.com .  This address is from a post from 2017 Venture Rider post.

Any other way to see his videos.  He asked for my mailing address, and that's the last I've heard from him.

• 5 months later...
On 10/24/2022 at 10:20 PM, BlueSky said:

I would be interested in this