IGNORED

R1, R6 caliper upgrade for RSTD or RSV rear brake?

I installed the Road Star four piston caliper on the front of my 99 along with larger master cylinder from a Road Star. I then took the left front two piston caliper and installed it on the rear, I also installed one of Rick butler's proportioning valve in the rear brake line. The rear combinations put the rear braking right where I feel it should have been from factory. 

Ron

• Thanks 1

The rear caliper on a Second Gen. is a 2 piece Aluminum Caliper Body with identical piston size and fluid volume of the Yamaha R1/R6 one piece Front Calipers. If you take the right front caliper from an R1 or R6 and mount it on the rear of an RSV or RSTD the bleeder valve will be located on the "low side" of the caliper body which makes it almost impossible to bleed correctly. Not to mention the performance between the R1/R6 front caliper and the RSV/RSTD rear caliper are basically identical. I firmly believe that the rear caliper on both the First and Second Gens. is WAY overpowered partially because of the large rotor diameter but mostly because of the 4 piston design of the caliper itself. HOWEVER, I have had excellent luck running the EBC FA123 Kevlar "superbike" brake pads on the stock rear RSV/RSTD caliper. During "Panic stops" there is NOT enough heat generated by the rear caliper/rotor to cause these brake pads to "Bite Into" the rotor the way the HH Sintered pads do, which causes the lock up. These Kevlar brake pads were designed to deaccelerate big bore superbikes from speeds in excess of 150 MPH (and higher) without locking up. Save your time and money and keep your stock rear caliper and invest in a set of the EBC Kevlar brake pads, you will notice a difference. I offer these pads at my cost to the forum members, feel free to PM me.

Earl 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to go with the brake pads Earl @skydoc_17mentioned. It's the least expensive way and the lowest amount of engineering. I was already considering @WIZ's thoughts with adding the valve to the rear system but really am tired of dealing with brake lines. To many years of fiddling with fittings and leaks!!!

Earl got the pads out to me right away. Hope to get them installed in next few weeks. We are heading into our sailing season here in Arizona, so I'm spending time on boat. And camping. And riding!

getting busy for me...!

Thanks @WIZ and @skydoc_17....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1