IGNORED

Has anybody used chrome vinyl wrap?

Freebird

As you all know, finding chrome accessories for the RSV has become nearly impossible.  I was looking for chrome air breather covers and though I did manage to find one set, the price was crazy in my opinion.  So I started looking for alternatives from coming up with my own or vinyl wrapping what I have, having the stock coves chrome, etc.  Vinyl wrapping seems like a decent idea.  Have any of you tried vinyl wrapping small parts like the breather covers?  I don't know if I'll do it myself or just take them to somebody but it looks like something that I could do myself relatively cheap.  One advantage to vinyl wrapping the stock covers is that I wouldn't have to switch to the K&N filters.  I've used them before and had no problems but some feel that they let more particles into your engine.  Also, vinyl wrapping opens up a huge selection of colors and etc.  I was initially thinking chrome but I've seen some very nice carbon fiber options in various colors.

Funny you bring it up now. I just got in some vinyl to wrap my new trailer. Bought extra to practice some. I just bought black but found some blue yesterday I think that will closely match. While ordering samples I ordered some chrome to try on my filter covers and maybe my lower fairings. It’ll be a couple weeks before I get to those, we’re leaving today or tomorrow on a  Natchez Trace/Gulf Coast ride. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Update on the vinyl wrap. Like any tradesman the guys on the videos make it look easy. After some practice runs (all the mess ups are practice pieces right?) I’ve started to get the hang of it. My trailer lid isn’t perfect but I’m ok with it for now, HINT: don’t start the learning process with the hardest panel you have. I’m almost finished with the black and waiting for some darker blue to come in, first blue was way too light. The chrome arrived damaged so I returned it, after a lot of reading and looking at the chrome I’ve decided to avoid it. Chrome wrap is fragile to heat and stretching and the parts I wanted to do need both. Once the blue gets here I’ll post some pics. If the rest of the project goes well I may strip the lid and try again to do it in one piece. 

I repair and ride old bikes , my 1978 XS750 Triple has not run since 1979 ..It sitting in humid storage shop , and the exhaust had terrible rust condition near the end  of the muffler ..I wrapped it with galvanized tine to cover the rusted holes .. I found some Chrome spray paint , it is not perfect but from about 15 feet it looks like real chrome 

• 2 weeks later...

A1BDBE80-388F-41F3-9CE9-8F17F7487C14.thumb.jpeg.87902d6673f85f546afb47ba6bad0969.jpeg5A6D9AC5-685A-48FF-9D65-089B3A822CCF.thumb.jpeg.e628ddc564270b19aee8cf9a7f3644ed.jpegI wish I could say it is wrinkle free and perfect but it’s not. A big learning curve around the corners left a few small wrinkles. I redid the lid in one piece to make it look better. Overall I’m pretty happy with it. One day soon I’m going to try to do the filter boxes using the vacuum technique on YouTube. 

• Like 5