IGNORED

Thinking about a Trike

Steve S

Hello VentureRiders.

After our 7500-mile ride and dropping the bike 4 times due to being tires and not staying focused I am seriously considering a Trike. 

I have looked on Hannigan's site, they are only 50 miles from me, and can get what I want in a Trike for around $14,000 using my ride. I have thought about a Honda Trike to get an engine with fuel injection, but I really want to stay with the Venture. 

I have never ridden a Wing and I am not sure about the comfort of one.  I was told by a man that had 2 Ventures that the center of gravity is much lower on a Wing and are much easier to balance and keep upright. He may know what he was talking about since he was 80 years old on a trip with 2 other men that were in their late 70s.  I think a Wing test ride may be in order before I commit to the Trike.  

I would like to hear any thoughts or concerns anyone might have. 

Thanks

Steve S

The wing is a great bike, that being said I hate riding one. I have long legs and there’s no way to stretch em out on a wing. I do some maintenance on my sisters Goldwing trike, after a short test ride I can’t wait to get back to mine. My advice is test ride one and pay attention to leg comfort, if you like it the upside is there are tons of accessories out there for it. 

• Like 2

I don't know what options you are including but here's what mine would have cost.   NOT counting the bike.

$9195.00.   Basic kit

These are the options that mine has.

$1045.00.   Floorboards
$1095.00.   EZ Steer
$1095.00.   Reverse
$1195.00.   Aux Fuel Tank
$ 495.00    Chrome Wheels
$1795.00.  Paint (one color)
$ 425.00.   Paint (floorboards)
$ 325.00    Trailer Hitch

$16665.00. Total

PLUS Installation.  I don't know but have been told about $2000.  So that brings the price, if you already own the bike, to $18665.00

I didn't own a RSV so my decision was easy.  The fact is though, there are a number of RSV trikes on the market for far less than what it could cost to convert yours.  So unless you have a very low mile RSV that you just can't stand the thought of parting with, I would look around for a used one.  I paid a few thousand less than that for the 2005 that I just bought and it even included a color matched Bushtec trailer.   It had just over 28,000 miles on it and also came with a handful of other options including riders backrest,  highway pegs, passing lights, tank bib, etc..

I see them on the market between $12,000 and $15,000 for the trike without a trailer.  Deduct what you could sell your bike for and you would be out much less money just buying one that has already been triked.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Freebird said:

I don't know what options you are including but here's what mine would have cost.   NOT counting the bike.

$9195.00.   Basic kit

These are the options that mine has.

$1045.00.   Floorboards
$1095.00.   EZ Steer
$1095.00.   Reverse
$1195.00.   Aux Fuel Tank
$ 495.00    Chrome Wheels
$1795.00.  Paint (one color)
$ 425.00.   Paint (floorboards)
$ 325.00    Trailer Hitch

$16665.00. Total

PLUS Installation.  I don't know but have been told about $2000.  So that brings the price, if you already own the bike, to $18665.00

I didn't own a RSV so my decision was easy.  The fact is though, there are a number of RSV trikes on the market for far less than what it could cost to convert yours.  So unless you have a very low mile RSV that you just can't stand the thought of parting with, I would look around for a used one.  I paid a few thousand less than that for the 2005 that I just bought and it even included a color matched Bushtec trailer.   It had just over 28,000 miles on it and also came with a handful of other options including riders backrest,  highway pegs, passing lights, tank bib, etc..

I see them on the market between $12,000 and $15,000 for the trike without a trailer.  Deduct what you could sell your bike for and you would be out much less money just buying one that has already been triked.

Thanks Freebird.   I added up the extras i wanted and it went to more like $1600 plus installation.  I have a good bike that now has 27,000 miles on it, but I am not attatched to it, so I will look for a used trike. 

Steve  

4 hours ago, Steve S said:

Hello VentureRiders.

After our 7500-mile ride and dropping the bike 4 times due to being tires and not staying focused I am seriously considering a Trike. 

I have looked on Hannigan's site, they are only 50 miles from me, and can get what I want in a Trike for around $14,000 using my ride. I have thought about a Honda Trike to get an engine with fuel injection, but I really want to stay with the Venture. 

I have never ridden a Wing and I am not sure about the comfort of one.  I was told by a man that had 2 Ventures that the center of gravity is much lower on a Wing and are much easier to balance and keep upright. He may know what he was talking about since he was 80 years old on a trip with 2 other men that were in their late 70s.  I think a Wing test ride may be in order before I commit to the Trike.  

I would like to hear any thoughts or concerns anyone might have. 

Thanks

Steve S

I rode a wing for 2 years , and I will say that what I do like about it is the engine is down low which the center of gravity down low .(1). My Venture has the fuel tank in much the same position , but the wing is easier to balance ..(2) .That also makes the wing easier to handle in a bad side  wind  ..(3) Sometimes the venture will show a side thrust on applying engine throttle / torque .

• Like 1