IGNORED

New Tire Question

Freebird

OK...I have a question that I never remember being asked before.  I do like the Stratoliner front wheel on the Venture.  A number of riders have swapped to it and say that the handling from the 130 tire is much better.  On the trike though, I feel that the wider 150 tire is probably the better choice.  I also know that quite a few people have put a 130 tire on the stock Venture wheel.  So my question is, do you think you could go the opposite and put a 150 tire on the narrower Stratoliner wheel?  

• Like 1

On 9/11/2022 at 10:40 AM, cowpuc said:

Since its car tired on the rear and no use for motorcycle tire on the front now I would look at going dark side on the front too. Wayyy higher mileage plus more surface contact with the car tire may be a plus.. maybe...

"Double Darkside" is usually running a REAR motorcycle tire on the front of the rig backwards, where as rear tire compound is geared for milage while applying power.  I'm currently running this tire in reverse rotation.

https://a.co/d/gZR9PON

As for the original question from Don, I don't see how you could mount a 150 on the narrower 18" Stratoliner wheel vs the stock Venture 16" wheel.

• Like 1

The front tire will last twice as long as it does on 2 wheels. Iwas getting 23000 miles out of the front tire on the 99 trike. So far i have around 7k miles on the front tire on the 09 with little wear. keep in mind the front tire on the trike will only wear the center of the tire, the side tread will look new with the center being bald.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, steamer said:

The front tire will last twice as long as it does on 2 wheels. Iwas getting 23000 miles out of the front tire on the 99 trike. So far i have around 7k miles on the front tire on the 09 with little wear. keep in mind the front tire on the trike will only wear the center of the tire, the side tread will look new with the center being bald.

another thing, the rear tires only need to be inflated to 22-24 psi. this will give you better road contact and better wear across the tread. your running a tire that is rated for a 2 ton car, the trike only ways around 1100 pounds dry. also softens the ride.

• Like 1

@Freebird A wider tire on a smaller rim may look awkward and it might be the unsafe option.  I kept my front wheel OEM and I've always felt and think that a bigger tire feels more planted on the road than a smaller tire.  Bring it back to original specs, if you can since since you may have more weight to support.  

• Like 1