IGNORED

I miss the riding and camaraderie. :(

craigatcsi

Sadly, the last 5 years and several surgeries later, I still can’t ride my 07 Venture / Hannigan Trike more than an hour or so. I have mentioned to my wife that we should just sell it, but she doesn’t want to. We used to take long road trips on it. We have hit 39 states, with hopes of finishing out the lower 48, but I can’t imagine that happening now. I have had it out 3 times this year for short rides. In my wildest dreams, I never thought that at the age of 60, most of my life would be spent in bed.
    My message to you that can still ride is to RIDE! Ride all you can, when you can because you never know when your health will turn for the worse.

• Like 6

Craig, I can relate. Health and weight issues forced me to give up riding several times. I recently dropped 195 lbs, off cpap and out of the diabetic range I’m now on a trike. While I love the trike I feel that my long distance days are over. I just enjoy it for what it is. At 67 I’ll take whatever riding time I have left.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, craigatcsi said:

Sadly, the last 5 years and several surgeries later, I still can’t ride my 07 Venture / Hannigan Trike more than an hour or so. I have mentioned to my wife that we should just sell it, but she doesn’t want to. We used to take long road trips on it. We have hit 39 states, with hopes of finishing out the lower 48, but I can’t imagine that happening now. I have had it out 3 times this year for short rides. In my wildest dreams, I never thought that at the age of 60, most of my life would be spent in bed.
    My message to you that can still ride is to RIDE! Ride all you can, when you can because you never know when your health will turn for the worse.

I can soooooo relate brother!! I get it 100% and am praying for you!! Puc

P.S. - now wiser words have ever been spoken =    My message to you that can still ride is to RIDE! Ride all you can, when you can because you never know when your health will turn for the worse.

5 hours ago, Freebird said:

Hate hearing this my friend.  It was always such a pleasure spending time with you both. 

I actually had you confused with another member.  Not 100% sure that we've met but it doesn't matter, I still feel your pain and wish you the best.  

Thanks for the kind words!

I miss riding Very Much. Anymore, I can only walk 100 feet or so, and that is unsteady. So, most of my time is spent in bed, which means that I have lost what little butt muscles that I had before. Even with the seat mod that I had done years ago, my backside gets sore first. Even restaurant seats start bothering me towards the end of most meals. I think that if I could get that part figured out, that I might be able to ride more. I really think that it is the sitting on my tailbonethat does it. It feels like the seat did before I had the mod done. I wish there was a way to cut a ‘hole’ in that seat, sort of like the saddles they use to use on horses. A sheepskin sits me too high, it just doesn’t feel right.

Really, I don’t know what to do. One moment…… I want to just sell it, the next moment…… I want to keep it ‘just in case’ I can ride like I used to. It has been such a good bike, the best I have owned by far, it would be tough to see it go. I have to believe that there are others from this group that have had to give it up. Was it tough to let it go?

craigr

5 hours ago, craigatcsi said:

Thanks for the kind words!

I miss riding Very Much. Anymore, I can only walk 100 feet or so, and that is unsteady. So, most of my time is spent in bed, which means that I have lost what little butt muscles that I had before. Even with the seat mod that I had done years ago, my backside gets sore first. Even restaurant seats start bothering me towards the end of most meals. I think that if I could get that part figured out, that I might be able to ride more. I really think that it is the sitting on my tailbonethat does it. It feels like the seat did before I had the mod done. I wish there was a way to cut a ‘hole’ in that seat, sort of like the saddles they use to use on horses. A sheepskin sits me too high, it just doesn’t feel right.

Really, I don’t know what to do. One moment…… I want to just sell it, the next moment…… I want to keep it ‘just in case’ I can ride like I used to. It has been such a good bike, the best I have owned by far, it would be tough to see it go. I have to believe that there are others from this group that have had to give it up. Was it tough to let it go?

craigr

First thing is that as we grow older we change and it never seems to be for the better. I hear that a lot. That doesn't mean that we can't improve from a low spot, it just means we'llnever be younger again.
Second and more meaningful: It will depend on where your ache is. I have no butt so always have your issue. Can't sit on a wooden chair for long or a MC seat for more than 1 hr without getting a sore butt. On my 85 I removed the seat cover and then discovered where my butt bones resided. That's where I gouged out two holes to re-leave the pressure on those bones, one on either side. Much better!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, cowpuc said:

I can soooooo relate brother!! I get it 100% and am praying for you!! Puc

P.S. - now wiser words have ever been spoken =    My message to you that can still ride is to RIDE! Ride all you can, when you can because you never know when your health will turn for 

And those of us who still have our health miss the ones who can no longer get out.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Marcarl said:

…. - “On my 85 I removed the seat cover and then discovered where my butt bones resided. That's where I gouged out two holes to relieve the pressure on those bones, one on either side. Much better!”

I have considered this, but am unsure of my ‘talents’. I am afraid of making my seat worse. But…. after reading your comment, I will start to look for a used seat, just like mine, so it would still match. I can then take it to an upholstery shop and work with them to make it better fit me. I think that if I can get the seat thing figured out, I might be able to ‘build back up’ so I can ride longer, (I hope). - I remember that starting 10 years ago or so, when each springtime came, my wife and I both had to ‘build back up’ to be able to ride all day.

You know, I am kinda embarrassed that I hadn’t thought of getting a used seat that I could risk  ‘screwing up’ while experimenting. - No matter what I do with the seat, I doubt I will ever be able to ride 12 or 14 hours a day. But, your idea has truly inspired me to cautiously ’try again’!

craigr

183F1300-0026-4F13-89D7-A9D9180F7EA2.jpeg

3 hours ago, saddlebum said:

And those of us who still have our health miss the ones who can no longer get out.

Awhile back I had thought of taking a ride and just visiting folks from VR that I had not seen in awhile, think I will look into that again. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, craigatcsi said:

I have considered this, but am unsure of my ‘talents’. I am afraid of making my seat worse. But…. after reading your comment, I will start to look for a used seat, just like mine, so it would still match. I can then take it to an upholstery shop and work with them to make it better fit me. I think that if I can get the seat thing figured out, I might be able to ‘build back up’ so I can ride longer, (I hope). - I remember that starting 10 years ago or so, when each springtime came, my wife and I both had to ‘build back up’ to be able to ride all day.

You know, I am kinda embarrassed that I hadn’t thought of getting a used seat that I could risk  ‘screwing up’ while experimenting. - No matter what I do with the seat, I doubt I will ever be able to ride 12 or 14 hours a day. But, your idea has truly inspired me to cautiously ’try again’!

craigr

183F1300-0026-4F13-89D7-A9D9180F7EA2.jpeg

Yah, I tried that trick as well, to get another dummy seat. Couldn't find one so tackled the one I had and surprised myself at being able to get it done, no problem. The biggest issue was getting the staples back in when I finished, but I had my wife handy with an electric stapler. She was also the one who volunteered to feel where my butt bones located on the seat after the cover was removed.

I can relate to not being able to ride ...My doctor pulled my drivers licence in 2021 for 8 months ...After 8 months of Hospital stays and more testing , a heart monitor they  found nothing wrong ..Got my licence to drive back on January 4th 2022 ...Your health is something you cannot take for granted  , my wife and I enjoy riding together but at today cost we have not been on the road  this year ...I I turned 76 on September 5th and I do ride at times   The fuel prices jumped to $9.97 a gallon here in spring , and about 1/2 the guys that were riding up to 2022 are still not riding because the cost of the fuel .... All the best to all out there and enjoy the ride  ..

I am in need of reupholstering my 2012 seat as most of the seams are torn or separating( has 118000klm) this doesn't effect ability of riding but does look bad when NOT on bike. Oldest son told me my great nephew does upholstering and may be able to help me with it. Still looking for good used one but price and condition stop me.

Was good to go to Paris Ont. for the get together that @XV1100SE put on with Tim Horton coffee then ice cream but had to miss next one because of prier commitments. Can't wait for next one!!!!Missed meeting up with the last group!

30 minutes ago, sleepy2 said:

Was good to go to Paris Ont. for the get together that @XV1100SE put on with Tim Horton coffee then ice cream but had to miss next one because of prier commitments. Can't wait for next one!!!!Missed meeting up with the last group!

All you have to do is post a date/time and location.  

On 9/5/2022 at 2:49 PM, etcswjoe said:

Awhile back I had thought of taking a ride and just visiting folks from VR that I had not seen in awhile, think I will look into that again. 

That was ALWAYS a dream of mine too brother.. Just spend the summer going door to door all over the country and Canada... DING DONG,,, "Hi,, I am Puc, this is TIPPY and that is Tweeks, we just stopped for second to say Hi and meet you. Would you mind signing Tweeks and letting my take a picture?" oh,, and can you make me a sandwich and point me toward the road cause we got lost and Joe n Bobbi are not here to rescue us LOL.. GO FOR IT JOE n BOBBI!! GO FOR IT!!!! 

Edited by cowpuc

LOL Puc. Sounds like my brother many years back. I was stationed in Southwest OK working grave shift. I get a call about 3 in the afternoon from my brother. Him and a buddy are out our way as they got layed off in Detroit at the time, so had free time to ride. Came by visited for a day or so and back on the scoot. One of my favorite shows back in the day was "Then came Bronson"