IGNORED

Rear tire recommendation

Braun

Hello Gentlemen and Ladies, this 93 Royal venture is my first experience with these particular motorcycles. My front tire looks almost new it still has the whiskers, good tread, and no weather checks in the side wall. The rear tire has plenty of tread left but is weather checked so I don't trust it (blowouts are the pits). The tire that's currently on the bike is 140/B 16 made in Korea; That leads to my question what is the best tire for year round riding on the venture, I'm sure collectively you folks have figured out what works the best. Thank you for your help with this old dinosaur.

Respectfully, Braun.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Braun said:

Hello Gentlemen and Ladies, this 93 Royal venture is my first experience with these particular motorcycles. My front tire looks almost new it still has the whiskers, good tread, and no weather checks in the side wall. The rear tire has plenty of tread left but is weather checked so I don't trust it (blowouts are the pits). The tire that's currently on the bike is 140/B 16 made in Korea; That leads to my question what is the best tire for year round riding on the venture, I'm sure collectively you folks have figured out what works the best. Thank you for your help with this old dinosaur.

Respectfully, Braun.

I waited to long to add the rest of the information so I'll try it this way. Front Tire is Dunlop D404F 120/90-18 MC 65 H: Rear tire is. Shinko SR 777 HD 140/90 B16 MC 77 H. I plan to match up the new rear tire to the front so I'll see how that works out. Thanks again, Braun.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Braun said:

Respectfully, Braun.

I waited to long to add the rest of the information so I'll try it this way. Front Tire is Dunlop D404F 120/90-18 MC 65 H: Rear tire is. Shinko SR 777 HD 140/90 B16 MC 77 H. I plan to match up the new rear tire to the front so I'll see how that works out. Thanks again, Braun.

Thank you for that information RDawson, the combination that's on the bike now handle ok so based on your experience I'll put another Shinko 777 on it. later when I get back from my trip I'll buy one for the front. Thank you Sir for your input.

Respectfully, Braun

I would have to agree about the Dunlop D404. I have used them the most on my bike but they don't seem to last long. I am usually over on allowable weight for this bike, and the 404 only lasts about 6K miles. On the other hand, the last tire I had before this one was an Dunlop Elite 4 and it only lasted about 7.5K miles. I think I will try the Shinko 777 next time.

On 8/30/2022 at 2:10 PM, Braun said:

Respectfully, Braun.

On 8/30/2022 at 2:57 PM, Braun said:

Thought I might my 2 cents of thought on this Braun.. I have worn out a few tires thru the years, a lot of them riding the hot tarmac associated with desert riding. Back in those precious, exciting times I ALWAYS was one who detested the thought of having to depend on dealerships along the journey and always carried tools to swap off/on my own tires. I found that sticking with the much cheaper tires, like Full Bore or Kenda, was the way to go because all of the high mileage tires were so stiff there was no way to get them off the wheel and definitely not back on again if I had to do one at roadside. Besides, begging an old tire for a replacement tire from an innocent local biker to get me to a new tire was entertaining to say the least. Having been thru numerous cheap "softer side wall" tires in my years and having @videoarizona turn me on to the Shinko Tourmaster I found the Shinko to be the best DIY at roadside tire and went thru dozens of them. It ended up being the best enduring tire while still being doable with my hand tools. I averaged about 6k miles per rear tire by going that route. At the end of our touring years I did finally cave in and had a local tire installer put on a Dunlop E-4 multi compound rear tire for me. I did take a shot a installing it myself but it turned out to be just what I had experienced with Michillen and a couple other high mileage tires in the past, not doable with hand tools. That tire was x3 in cost to the Shinko but did last x3 as long too. The HUGE difference is/was, as I suspected, it left me totally dependent on a machine to do the swap. That Dunlop was a radial and I never really noticed a difference while running it with the bias front Shinko that I had installed on the front. All that said, if I were going to go with tires I could swap n balance on my own I would stick with Shinko, if I were going to depend on dealerships and I was good with knowing I was dependent on them I would go with Dunlop in the E-4 series.. Puc

Thank you Puc, I ordered Skinko's (actually my Son bought them for me) front and rear and will install them when I get to Wyoming before my next ride to warmer climates before the snow flies. I don't mind riding a 4 to 500 pound bike in the snow but attempting it on this heavy old girl doesn't appeal to me. Maybe after I ride it for a couple years I'll give it a go, but I'm definitely not 19 anymore and picking 850 plus pounds up on a slick surface is beyond my ability now. Maybe if I was lucky enough to find a tree or strong post I could I could get it up with a block and tackle using the post as a gin pole.Back in another life time I spent 16 years in the circus and put up many rigging's outdoors using that method. Thank you for your insight and sharing your experience with me. I do have tools, tire repair kit, electric pump, but no tire spoons yet. To break this heavy duty tire down I would need Semi truck spoons and plenty of soap, plus a little either to get it seated on the rim before I attempted to pump air into it. I'm going to ride 20 / 26 the whole trip from Oregon, That way I can hold my speed down to 55 or 60 and not heat my old tires up as much. I figure it will take me two days and I have food and water for 4 so that should be fine. I have a 12 x 14 tarp to rig as a tent over the bike and me if I need to sit out a thunderstorm. It will be an adventure I'll keep you folks posted if you're interested. Would I post that in the watering hole? or somewhere else. 

Respectfully, Braun

3 hours ago, Braun said:

Thank you Puc, I ordered Skinko's (actually my Son bought them for me) front and rear and will install them when I get to Wyoming before my next ride to warmer climates before the snow flies. I don't mind riding a 4 to 500 pound bike in the snow but attempting it on this heavy old girl doesn't appeal to me. Maybe after I ride it for a couple years I'll give it a go, but I'm definitely not 19 anymore and picking 850 plus pounds up on a slick surface is beyond my ability now. Maybe if I was lucky enough to find a tree or strong post I could I could get it up with a block and tackle using the post as a gin pole.Back in another life time I spent 16 years in the circus and put up many rigging's outdoors using that method. Thank you for your insight and sharing your experience with me. I do have tools, tire repair kit, electric pump, but no tire spoons yet. To break this heavy duty tire down I would need Semi truck spoons and plenty of soap, plus a little either to get it seated on the rim before I attempted to pump air into it. I'm going to ride 20 / 26 the whole trip from Oregon, That way I can hold my speed down to 55 or 60 and not heat my old tires up as much. I figure it will take me two days and I have food and water for 4 so that should be fine. I have a 12 x 14 tarp to rig as a tent over the bike and me if I need to sit out a thunderstorm. It will be an adventure I'll keep you folks posted if you're interested. Would I post that in the watering hole? or somewhere else. 

Respectfully, Braun

You are welcome on the input Braun.. I would put your adVenture in the Water Hole myself, sounds like a good time ahead of you. Of course pics would be fantastic! Pics are worth a thousand words! Looking forward to it my friend! 

Update, My Son sent the tires here to Oregon so I will change them out before the trip. I'll still do 20 /26 across Oregon then hit the super slab in Boise, ride that up to Pocatello then back on 26 for the rest of the trip to Casper. I'll take pictures that's some pretty country I haven't seen in 30 years. At least it was before the fires. Thanks again Puc.

Respectfully, Braun

• Like 1