IGNORED

Battery sensor bypass

I just got done doing the battery sensor bypass on my bike. I was wondering if I was doing something wrong as I checked the voltage at the sensor going to the white wire with red tracer and my current voltage was showing around 6.5 volts. I had read somewhere that we don't want to go much over 5 volts or in the neighborhood.

I had my assortment of resistors on hand that I ordered from Amazon so was ready to go. I played around with the resistors, for some reason my voltage was higher than expected when using the recommended resistors. I went with a 10KΩ resistor and it was putting out 5.5 volts at the white wire with red tracer. I turned the key on and no battery light, at least for now. We will see how it does in the long term.

Reason for the bypass is the next battery will be AGM or gel, staying with the lead acid one for now but tired of the light coming on randomly. I did clean the tip of the sensor but it still comes on from time to time. Sometimes it will come on and go off on it's own. So far it seems to come on when the temperatures are cooler in the morning and usually doesn't come on at all when it is over 90°F outside. I thought maybe it was the expansion and contraction of the electrolyte in the battery but the level looks good. If it comes on again I am thinking I have some solder joints cracked at the CM.

I wanted to be able to look at the write up with pictures in the tech library but for some reason on my computer it just shows up as links to pictures instead of the pictures as well. I went ahead and made up a document showing the pictures with the text if anyone is interested (if they are having the same problem). Thanks and everyone have a good day!

Yamaha Venture Battery Replacement and CM Warning Bypass.pdf

6 minutes ago, Pasta Burner said:

I may be wrong but I think you’re reading too far into it.  My simple brain says we’re just trying to trick the computer into think the fluid level is providing enough resistance to not trip the light.

I just used the recommended resistor, light was out so I quit. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, RDawson said:

I just used the recommended resistor, light was out so I quit. 

Yes.  Same here.  @TTrax I’d start with a bigger resistor to see if the intermittent goes away before chasing a ghost.  I’d have to look at the schematic to be certain however I’m very confident all that line is doing is looking for a minimum resistance before the light goes on.

Edited by Pasta Burner
  • Like 1

Sounds good to me. I had read some posts that mentioned that it should be as low as possible to not burn out the computer monitor. I will let you know if I have issues after using this resistor. Thanks and have a good week!

Drove in to work this morning, when I took off it was 60°F which is cooler than it has been so far when I have been riding. No light on at all so thinking it is fixed but we will see. Thanks for the input and have a good rest of the week!

• Like 2