IGNORED

Question for Trike owners

Freebird

Eileen is pushing me to buy a trike.  I'm a bit on the fence about it but giving it some thought.  I have found a couple that look pretty good.  My question is about the floorboards.  One has the floorboards and the other doesn't.  Those you who own trikes, are the floorboards a deal breaker?  Do you prefer the trike with them or without.  I've never owned a trike and have mixed feelings about the boards.

• Like 1

I really like the boards on my RSV/Hannigan.

In my opinion, a trike looks better with them. A trike without them looks incomplete to my eye. I know some disagree with this.

I you don't have a reverse you need to be careful how you park so you can coast out.

They help keep some, not all, of the road debris from hitting the rear fenders.

In rainy weather my feet and lower legs stay much, much drier.

The trike experience is much different than 2 wheels but a lot of fun.

Make sure whatever you are looking at has independent rear suspension. It makes a world of difference.

• Like 3

Definitely want independent suspension. We had the solid axcel for 12 years and it was ok, but the older we got the harder it got on Robins back mine too. Our new to us 09 RSV has the hannnigan  with independent suspension, floor boards and reverse, never looked back.What trikes are you looking at?  

• Like 1

Make sure you are happy with the leg room/riding position on the Wing. that was the biggest down fall on the Wing for me. Other wise the Wing is a great trike with several companys who trike them, and a bunch of accessories available. little to no accessories for the RSV. Also some parts are getting hard to find. But we know how to fix just about anything that can go wrong with the Venture.

• Like 1

@Freebird,, just curious,, have you two ridden a trike together? I know you folks had a Slinger but was wondering about an actual triked bike? If not, maybe grab a HD Demo and get some time on one. Another approach would be to rent one. I cant remember which VR club member did that a few years ago but I do remember him saying the rental was a good experience.  Just thinking out loud but even a solid axle HD might give you folks a "feel" for whether or not purchasing one is a good plan.  Another thing you could do to test the waters is drive up to Canada and visit @Marcarl and take his Spyder out for a putt. If you do that though just beware that it likes to go down dead end streets so you have to do a lot of direction changing,,, at least thats what I hear lol

I know you test rode a spyder several years back at the WNY rally and didnt much care for the lack of leg room. the new generation spyders are way better with a much improved riding position, if I could afford one it would be in my garage. Total different bike. something to think about.

• Like 1

I am really not at all interested in the Spyder.  Not only did I do the test ride in NY, I ended up buying one later on.  Yes, it was the older generation but there were a number of things that I just didn't like about it.  We sold it and then tried a Slingshot.  Bought it, spent some money on it for a top, rear fender, windshield, etc.  First trip of any distance that we took on it we both ended up hating it.  So sold it too.  Nope, if I go with a trike, I will try a conventional trike this time.  The only one I've ridden belonged to one of our members and we just took a short ride on it.  We liked it but we also liked the Spyder and the Slingshot after short rides.  So, we'll see.

Here are the two closest things to a trike that I have owned.

IMG_1015.JPG

IMG_1040.JPG

• Like 1

Well, tomorrow I am going to look at this trike.  It's a 2005 model with about 27,000 miles.  I talked to the guy and he doesn't remember the brand of the conversion.  It looks like a Hannigan to me but maybe one of you can tell me for sure.  It has the auxiliary gas tank, floor boards, reverse, etc.  He didn't know if it has EZ Steer or not but I'm betting it does with the other options. It also comes with the Bushtec trailer.  Only thing it would need immediately is a backrest.

289996727_721720862451367_1955259394364475742_n.jpg

• Like 1

Lisa and I have been thinking about going with 3 wheels...dunno yet if 2 of them will be in the front or the rear, but if I was looking for a traditional trike....I gotta say.....If you're willing to part with the $$$$.....That Goldwing Trike that Woody had down at Ashville was triked by California Side Car and it's gotta be the sharpest trike I've seen....even if it's not a Yammy....  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Freebird said:

Well, tomorrow I am going to look at this trike.  It's a 2005 model with about 27,000 miles.  I talked to the guy and he doesn't remember the brand of the conversion.  It looks like a Hannigan to me but maybe one of you can tell me for sure.  It has the auxiliary gas tank, floor boards, reverse, etc.  He didn't know if it has EZ Steer or not but I'm betting it does with the other options. It also comes with the Bushtec trailer.  Only thing it would need immediately is a backrest.

289996727_721720862451367_1955259394364475742_n.jpg

Nice!

• Like 1

Lots of good stuff there Freebird, I don't remember how tall you are but the Goldwing is taking some getting use to for me and the 2018 and above only has bluetooth no where to plug in a cord, I was told that if I installed a CB radio then it would have intercom on the bike. Not So the only intercom you will have is headset to headset. there was a 2008 venture on the site a few weeks back not sure if it is still around. I just got rid of a 2014 Triglide without floor boards and now I have the 2019 Goldwing with floor boards it is definitely a cleaner look and ride, while in Asheville last week we got caught in the rain and the floor boards make a big difference. So make sure you get independent suspension, raked front end and if you do get floor boards then reverse is a must have. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Motorcycle Mike said:

Except for the color that sure looks like my Hannigan.

The ez steer on mine says Hannigan right on top of the tree.

Deffinetly a Hannigan, Im sure if he spent all that$$$ for the aux tank, floorboards and reverse It will have easy steer. Hannigan stamps thier name on the top of the triple tree. the reverse has some wicked torque so hang on when you hit the switch.

I found it on marketplace. Seeing how it has pretty much everthing Hannigan has to offer including the trailer, I have to say the price is reasonable. Like I said, theres no way he didn't get the easy steer, but to make sure just check the top of the triple tree. if it doesn't have ES, hannigan will install it, but i wouldn't pay full price for the bike. 

On 8/27/2022 at 9:04 AM, RDawson said:

If you get the Hannigan bring it to the KY rally next year. We’ll do the factory tour again. Or if not come on down anyway. 🤣🤣🤣

Really hoping I can make it to your great event, and Freebird shows up..  But sold the RSV Hannigan trike and now have a 19 H-D Tri-Glide, you allowing H-D Ron?

Later-