IGNORED

Shifter Shaft

I have a 97 RSTC with 53k miles on it and just got through changing the clutch slave cylinder and may I say a few post on here made it a simple job. So I noticed there was a fair amount of play in the shifter shaft and possible a leak around the seal. Is it normal to have play where the shaft comes out of the tranny and if so how much? Mine has about 1/16" in any direction. Took her for a test spin and it shifted fine

.IMG_4702a.thumb.jpg.a0ab69837623927aca7afc47d442404d.jpg

Shouldn't have much in and out or move much in the seal. If it shifts fine and doesn't leave oil on the ground it's probably ok. Looks to be leaking some but hard to tell how much. You do have a fair bit of mileage so probably more movement than factory. Maybe just needs a seal.

• 5 weeks later...

So I figured this would be good to add to this to this post as it is sort of a continuation. I have about 1500 miles on it since I asked this question and have noticed at times when I shoot the gas to it, say to pass someone, I noticed it slipping, but as soon as you back off grab another gear it moves on. Today on the way home I was tuning and downshifting on to a side road and as I powered up I noticed more then usual slipping. I pulled in the clutch and it seamed to shift before I hit the shifter with a ugly noise, but I continued trough 4 and 5 with no issue. When I got to the next stop sign I down shifted and noticed no 1st gear. After messing with the shifter I managed to get it in 2nd and moved on. Went to shift to 3rd and no 3rd. Fortunately I was a mile from the house. When I got it to the shop I was able to get it in neutral or 2nd. Not sure if the clutch took a dump or the tranny gave up. No oil under it so if anyone has a suggestion please chime in. Plan to pull the clutch cover and start investigating. 

Update. Got home to take the bike to a local motorcycle shop that specializes in older bikes and as I was getting it out of the shop i noticed it shifted in to 1st. Took it out for a quick ride and it shifted fine but no 4th or 5th. The mechanic at the shop checked and seems to think the clutch is smoked or worst case drum shifter may not be in the proper position. Clutch and cage will have to come out for a visual of the shifting mechanism. Any body had something like this happen? 

Update: Got the bike tore down to see what was happeing and I found that 1of the dowel pins that the shifter forks grabs to rotate the drum shifter found its way out of the side plate that holds them in the segment. I would have found better names, but I didnt invent this assembly. I needed to see an exploded view to understand the parts. I knew I needed a clutch so I was prepared to fix that, but didn't intended to go this far. It was good to have to wait on parts as I keep taking things apart to see how it works and do full maintenance on her. I had an issue with the shifter shaft moving around so I decided to make a bracket to support it at the end where the movement was bad enough to make some slop in the shifter. After looking back, it had a clutch slipping and my heavy foot more than likely caused the damage to the shifter. Shout out to Skydoc_17 for taking his time and helping me understand the mechanics of the clutch system. I upgraded to his clutch spring with the factory discs and plates so when it gets here and installed it should be a lot stronger.2089208226_Clutch1.jpg.32cd73e00e80d0ab8494b3336bc3065c.jpg924866147_Clutch2.jpg.154a7d5d9c7decc72f5b7d2f2c510cd0.jpg1206532599_Clutch3.jpg.0b6079140519bd20004fa41658ddb96c.jpg1650740023_ShifterMod.jpg.dc12bfe62eb391a6ad38f95e554e0b74.jpg

Yep, a heavy foot will do that, but it's not uncommon to loose a shift pin. If you feel like you have to push the pedal to shift there will be something not quite right and pushing hard will only cause damage.

Glad you have it remedied.

So I got the new and improved clutch from skydoc_17  installed and the bike back together then took it out for a test ride. Wow I thought it ran good when I got it, but now it  can put the power the ground and it has plenty of it. I will say this to any one needing a clutch for this type of bike it is the way to go. I let mine go to far and had to hard shift it to much so I’m pretty sure that is what caused the shifter to break. It was an easy fix and the extra attention to maintenance has given me that peace of mind I like when on the road. The clutch handle is nice and firm plus when you shift it only takes just a lite touch to move it. There are a couple of things during the install that you will need to work out. Make sure to install all the parts in the direction it came apart. I did as it said in the instruction sheet he sends making sure all the dots lined up and one thing is the clutch throw out bearing will likely push out due to gravity pushing fluid into the slave cylinder. Push it in with the butt of a hammer until flush with the nut on the end of the shaft. It makes installing the diaphragm spring a little easier. Over all for the DIY guy this is an easy fix. I’ll share a few pics during the repairs and the last few of why I do this.BE33B6CE-CE78-4587-B54A-5637448B1FD0.thumb.jpeg.9c35b9674a073a6b4362e0dfeb49ad50.jpegEFBB796D-16E9-4B03-995A-955F8E3FF8C0.thumb.jpeg.3fbd186384004971556d1824c3c3950e.jpegD4ADD7CA-9C15-41C4-9B3C-A3CAA83D3D36.thumb.jpeg.e544d8678ccc87c0ff492d3b6dc4e6f5.jpegDD0623DB-CFC3-406D-A64C-C86273374F92.thumb.jpeg.35eeb5a64ea37135628d3f1f2e403455.jpeg8CDF294E-CB77-42D2-AB74-D351F4CD4994.thumb.jpeg.9de68b848bd78fa95f8b995e690688a0.jpeg

Thank You Very Much John, for the kind words! I am so very glad that after all of that work, your beautiful motorcycle is up and running again! My hat is off to you Sir for having the courage to do the repair on the shift shaft pin and the Clutch Upgrade yourself! In my opinion, nothing creates a closer bond with a rider and his bike than to do their own maintenance and repairs, PERIOD! 

Thank You John, for letting me help YOU with this project!

Earl