IGNORED

Front Blinkers not working, and turning off speedometer 2008

Recently I have had some issues with Radio, nothing major but the CB would create some lag in the headunit.

So I reset the headunit, and put some Dielectrical paste around the audio connections. (not the circuits).

After I put it back together, I noticed that when I put my blinkers on , it would start flashing the back ground of the speedometer, and then totally shut off the dials.

So I removed the front fairing and checked all connections.

Everything looks good, no extra paste anywhere, and visually all connections check out.

Replugged everything.

Checked fuses under the front fender, and ones on the side of the battery.

Checked battery and noticed it was down to 12 amps.  Its new but may of discharged it some testing things.

I am not sure what else to check. Rear blinker works fine.

12v is a dead battery and what happens is that when you have something turned on and there is just barely enough juice to run that, then when you turn on something else there is not enough to run everything and the computer shuts own on low voltage, as demonstrated by the dimming of the clock when you turned on the signals.

I have seen a battery sit at 11 volts and still  crank an engine over. It has more to do with the overall state of the battery. , By this I mean the ability of the battery to maintain and hold its voltage when you apply a load to it. For example a battery is at 11 volts you turn on the high beams and it barely drops in voltage is probably still a good battery and likely just needs to be charged up. On the other hand,  a battery could be sitting at 12.5 volts and when you turn the high beam on the voltage drastically drops. This is a sign the battery is probably bad. In these two scenarios the 1st battery is still good and may even still crank an engine over, the voltage barely dropping a volt or two. Were the second battery is defective and may drop as low as half its resting voltage in trying to crank over the engine. So Don,t just assume that because the battery's resting voltage is low that it is bad. Recharge the battery and load test it before condemning it.

Edited by saddlebum

I agree with saddlebum....

Even a relatively new battery can develop a dead cell. Battery voltage looks good, but when a load is put on battery...the voltage drops to low to be usable. Most auto parts stores will do a load test on a battery for free.

Just make sure you tell them it's a motorcycle battery so they don't put a 400 amp load on it! They should be able to read the battery label..... Hopefully!