IGNORED

Maybe our last ride...Maybe not

Freebird

It is possible, maybe probable, that Eileen and I will embark on our last motorcycle ride today.  I bought this bike about 2 years ago with around 8500 miles on it.   It is a 2008 Harley Ultra Classic.  After two years, it only has a little over 10,000 miles on it.   This is primarily due to the fact that Eileen has not been doing well for at least that long and we haven't been about to take the trips like we used to.  The bike has been ridden one time this year, maybe 3 months ago for about 40 miles.  So today, Eileen and I are going to try a relatively short trip.  It will be about a 4 hour trip one way and then back on Monday.  I didn't want to do it because I'm not at all sure that her back will be able to take it but she insists that she wants to give it a try.  After his weekend, I will make the decision to either keep the bike, if she does ok, or finally admit that our riding days are over.  We will get back late Monday and then I'll have to really give it some thought.  Spent the day yesterday getting the bike ready.  Tire pressure, oil, etc.  Battery was toast so I put a new battery on it.  WOW....$155.00 for a new battery.  Anyway, I have mixed feelings about even attempting this trip but hopefully it will go well.  If not, somebody will end up with a very nice 2008 Ultra Classic with less than 11000 miles on it.

IMG_0375.jpeg

• Like 1

@Freebird as someone who who who has had to deal with a major back injury for many years May I suggest before you embark on a ride that Eileen fit herself with a ridged back support belt of either leather or nylon such as used when weight lifting (not the flexible stretch support types ) she may find it helps a lot.

• Like 2

Hey Don,

Safe Journeys to you, my friend. Both Jean and I hope you have a wonderful trip, and it sparks memories of rides long past! "Knowing your Limitations" is the hardest part of growing older. I hear the weather is going to be great this weekend over your way, I hope this is true.

RIde Safe,

Earl and Jean

• Like 1

Tip and I can so relate Don. As ALWAYS @Freebird, our prayers are with you and Eileen as you 2 sort through this part of life.  Tip and I got out yesterday for a few hours and found not pushing it, stopping occasionally to smell the roses helped a lot. Luv you both! 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, skydoc_17 said:

Hey Don,

Safe Journeys to you, my friend. Both Jean and I hope you have a wonderful trip, and it sparks memories of rides long past! "Knowing your Limitations" is the hardest part of growing older. I hear the weather is going to be great this weekend over your way, I hope this is true.

RIde Safe,

Earl and Jean

We are actually on our way to Pennsylvania. Seven Springs area. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Freebird said:

It is possible, maybe probable, that Eileen and I will embark on our last motorcycle ride today.  I bought this bike about 2 years ago with around 8500 miles on it.   It is a 2008 Harley Ultra Classic.  After two years, it only has a little over 10,000 miles on it.   This is primarily due to the fact that Eileen has not been doing well for at least that long and we haven't been about to take the trips like we used to.  The bike has been ridden one time this year, maybe 3 months ago for about 40 miles.  So today, Eileen and I are going to try a relatively short trip.  It will be about a 4 hour trip one way and then back on Monday.  I didn't want to do it because I'm not at all sure that her back will be able to take it but she insists that she wants to give it a try.  After his weekend, I will make the decision to either keep the bike, if she does ok, or finally admit that our riding days are over.  We will get back late Monday and then I'll have to really give it some thought.  Spent the day yesterday getting the bike ready.  Tire pressure, oil, etc.  Battery was toast so I put a new battery on it.  WOW....$155.00 for a new battery.  Anyway, I have mixed feelings about even attempting this trip but hopefully it will go well.  If not, somebody will end up with a very nice 2008 Ultra Classic with less than 11000 miles on it.

IMG_0375.jpeg

Wow Don, sorry to hear that. I truly hope it goes well for both you & Eileen. If it doesn’t, it’s just the turning of a page. Another chapter in your adventure of life together which I’m sure will hold many more wonderful times for you both no matter what form they take.

May God surround and uphold you both on this trip and may it truly be blessed!

• Like 1

Ya don't need to ride to get together at the meet-ups.      

Hoping for the best for you both.    God bless ya....

Thanks for all you've done.....none of the meet-ups, nor the relationships that they foster would happened without you.

Thanks Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

• Like 2

Hey Don & Eileen, been in your shoes with bad back after my hunting accident fall in 09.  Down sized to v*1100/Heritage, then as I grew stronger RSV/Ultra, then sidecars.   As Saddlebum recommended wore a support belt which does help.  Eventually,  realized if I was going to continue riding, moving to a trike.  Now after 3 years, wish I would have bought a trike 10 years earlier.

Thanks for the nice replies.  I’ll update again when we get home.  Looks like we may have to ride home in thunderstorms.   Hope not.  I think we have pretty much confirmed our fears that this will be it.  I will be putting the bike up for sale when I get home.   I can tell you this though, this site will continue with my full support.  Nothing changing on that front. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We will head home in about 4 hours.  Weather could be better but I’m hoping we will miss the worse of it.  Eileen told me yesterday that she wants me to look for a trike.  I’m on the fence about it but we’ll see. We’ve had a Spyder and a Slingshot and I didn’t like either one.  So if it’s a trike, it will be a conventional style. 

Do as Eileen tells you....women are always right.  Look for a trike.

If she is suggesting a trike that shows she is still interested in riding.  Hopefully that means that her health is in a better position.

The rain may pass by you by noon today.  You just might get a dry ride home.  

50 minutes ago, Freebird said:

We will head hope in about 4 hours.  Weather could be better but I’m hoping we will miss the worse of it.  Eileen told me yesterday that she wants me to look for a trike.  I’m on the fence about it but we’ll see. We’ve had a Spyder and a Slingshot and I didn’t like either one.  So if it’s a trike, it will be a conventional style. 

Be sure to get one that fits and not too short for your legs.

6 hours ago, Freebird said:

Oh for sure.  If I decide to do it It will likely be either a RSV or a Goldwing.

Hi brother,, @Freebird did you ever get a chance to check out the Vanderhall line? Tip n I test rode them a few years ago and WOW,, talk about a quality build and fun ride! The side by side sitting was amazing and I gotta hunch Eileen could easily drive it too.. Just a curious.. Puc