IGNORED

R6 brake swap (R1 brake swap) - REVIEW and IMPRESSIONS

I was finally able to get my new (to me) brake calipers installed onto my 2005 RSTD. Same works on 99-13 RSV. 

@skydoc_17 (Earl) sourced the calipers, stainless steel brake line and appropriate banjo bolts for the conversion. Earl was excellent to deal with as well. 

The install was straight forward and worked great. I picked up new EBC sintered brake pads for the new parts. My donor bike was a Yamaha R6 that was hit in the rear end. 

Fresh DOT4 fluid was installed at the same time. 

The improved stopping power is noticeably immediately. My Blue Ridge Parkway trip last month was the real test and I was hugely impressed and very confident with my new stopping power. 

This is a highly recommended upgrade for your RSTD or RSV. 

AAE5C62F-F11E-4563-A08B-8817F653FC16.jpeg

FCB1A562-81B5-4D1D-87E6-6FB628D57551.jpeg

Edited by Papabird
spelling
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Thank you very much for the kind words! All I did was supply a few parts, YOU did all of the work yourself, and frankly I am VERY impressed with how good a job you did! Not to mention those calipers look GREAT on the front of your bike! 

Safe Journey's my friend!

Earl

• Thanks 1

On 10/13/2022 at 10:44 PM, Bones158 said:

What year and part number.? I would like to change mine out on the trike.

I am not sure exactly but check out the file called "R1_Swap.pdf version 2" in the FB group "Yamaha Royal Star Venture and Tour Deluxe Fans, and Owners".  Also check in with Earl above (skydoc_17) to see if he can source exactly what parts you will need.

On 10/13/2022 at 9:44 PM, Bones158 said:

What year and part number.? I would like to change mine out on the trike.

If you can find a complete brake set from an early ('02-'05) Road Star Warrior or a later model 1700cc Road Star (2004+) will get you the 14mm Master Cylinder and the same R6/R1 calipers already painted grey.

14 mm is smaller than 5/8 which is pretty much= to 16 mm. By going with larger piston size in the caliper and smaller in the master you would end up with more brake force but your lever stroke will be a bit longer and may even feel  a bit softer but you will get used to it.