IGNORED

Bike died, possible Stator & Regulator replacement

Bike cut out on my way home the other day and did the diagnostics for the the Stator & Regulator.  All the individual tests came out within spec for the stator & regulator, nothing looked heat damaged on the connector.  I'm only getting 13.5v at the battery with everything off and 13+ once I turn on the spot lamps and radio.  The battery is about 3yrs old DEKA AGM, I'm going to replace it because it could introduce some charging issues if bad. 

In doing my research for stators it looks like Ricks or Buckeye were the go-to options, but all the threads on stator replacements were from the early '10s. I did speak with Buckeye and the whole kit for a Stator and new Regulator runs about $550.  I did a quick search on Ricks website comes out around $330 for their Hot Shot stator, OEM style regulator & gasket.  Does anyone have any pro or cons for either option if necessary?

2 hours ago, Marcarl said:

13.5 with the engine running is not out of norm. I would check connections first. Let the battery sit overnight and then check the voltage, it should be at 12.6 for a full battery, 12.2 is a dead battery.

Yup, while I was in there doing all the diagnostics I scrubbed the connectors, battery terminals, etc.  I know every Yamaha I've had was a weak charging system and they needed a GOOD battery to run right, but with only the standard items, 2x35 spot lamps, and the factory radio I was only 13v at the battery at 3,000 rpms.  To me that seemed very weak... hopefully it's just a dying battery.  I still wouldn't be apposed to putting a beefier charging system on the bike, since I plan to keep the bike a lot longer.  

Edited by BratmanXj