IGNORED

My goodness,, what have we done...

cowpuc

On our local community forum one of the teenagers in our area wrote this: 

"just took my road test for the first time at Mosley's didn't even make it out of the parking lot had John as my Examiner don't know that I'm going back there he didn't even show me how to do it until I had already failed and then he treated me like I was a child like I have never drove before"

PLEASE NOTE - the quotation marks in the above paragraph  are mine, there were/are no punctuation marks in his post.

Out of 30 responses to the OP's plea there was only 1 other response similar to mine below: 

"Mathew, having the examiner show you how to pass the drivers test would be like one of your teachers in school passing out the answers to a test they are required to give the classroom so the students can go on to the next grade in school. Doing so would not only be unethical and wrong to society but would also be doing a GREAT disservice to the student who is taking the test. Passing tests is something YOU earn by study/practice and personal perseverance, not something that can be given to you. Believe me, the examiner in this case probably did you a huge favor. You will find that life as an adult is going to judge you much like the examiner did but much harsher in the future."

• Like 4

Sounds like he many not have been paying attention at drivers school. Pretty basic stuff, adjusting the mirrors and seats to yourself, everyone wearing a seat belt, using turn signals and actually looking where you are about to go before you slowly pull out.  Hopefully he has to pay for the refresher and take it more seriously the next time.

• Like 2

Ha. When I took my youngest to get her license there was a man and wife to test. They were from another country here for college. He passed, she left with the examiner, 5 minutes later they were back with the examiner driving. My kids had to pass my test first that was much harder than the state’s. My kids drove in storms, on ice, interstates, and cities while on their permits. I cut too many people out of wrecks to take it easy on em. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

20 hours ago, cowpuc said:

On our local community forum one of the teenagers in our area wrote this: 

"just took my road test for the first time at Mosley's didn't even make it out of the parking lot had John as my Examiner don't know that I'm going back there he didn't even show me how to do it until I had already failed and then he treated me like I was a child like I have never drove before"

PLEASE NOTE - the quotation marks in the above paragraph  are mine, there were/are no punctuation marks in his post.

Out of 30 responses to the OP's plea there was only 1 other response similar to mine below: 

"Mathew, having the examiner show you how to pass the drivers test would be like one of your teachers in school passing out the answers to a test they are required to give the classroom so the students can go on to the next grade in school. Doing so would not only be unethical and wrong to society but would also be doing a GREAT disservice to the student who is taking the test. Passing tests is something YOU earn by study/practice and personal perseverance, not something that can be given to you. Believe me, the examiner in this case probably did you a huge favor. You will find that life as an adult is going to judge you much like the examiner did but much harsher in the future."

Sounds pretty typical of today's entitled generation, where many feel that  everything should be just handed to them and have never been taught that if you want something you have to earn it. Far too many drivers licenses today are handed out far too easily these days to people who do not belong on the road. This John guy's job is to make sure a new drivers is not a hazard to oneself as well as others on the road. He also did not need to show the new driver anything, His job is to pass or fail not to teach so this student actually got a bonus but does not realize it.

• Like 1

Years back we started driving with adult supervision on the farm at 13-14 yrs. of age first on tractors then in the farm truck  so by 16 the test was easy even with a standard transmission. We also began our knowledge of vehicle operation much earlier with go carts and mini-bikes as young kids. So sad the modern world doesn't provide that sort of learning.

Punctuation was also taught in school. Not that I mastered it.....

• Like 1

WE taught our son driving around the neighborhood before he had a learners. Once he had a little seat time and got his learners, then I worked with him a little on a stick. It wasnt pretty, but he got it. But being few cars are made with a stick anymore thats not a deal.

On 8/12/2022 at 3:31 PM, RDawson said:

Ha. When I took my youngest to get her license there was a man and wife to test. They were from another country here for college. He passed, she left with the examiner, 5 minutes later they were back with the examiner driving. My kids had to pass my test first that was much harder than the state’s. My kids drove in storms, on ice, interstates, and cities while on their permits. I cut too many people out of wrecks to take it easy on em. 

That's funny.  I took my kids to an empty parking lot after a snowstorm and said 'do donuts'.  It was a front wheel drive. Then I showed them how to do donuts in reverse. After that we did the same in our E150 conversion van. Watching them trying to do donuts in reverse in that was hysterical. I showed them how to do donuts in that.  Next, came recoveries from skids. They still talk about how much more they learned from that and how much more fun it was.

1 hour ago, bpate4home said:

That's funny.  I took my kids to an empty parking lot after a snowstorm and said 'do donuts'.  It was a front wheel drive. Then I showed them how to do donuts in reverse. After that we did the same in our E150 conversion van. Watching them trying to do donuts in reverse in that was hysterical. I showed them how to do donuts in that.  Next, came recoveries from skids. They still talk about how much more they learned from that and how much more fun it was.

Ha. Mine both did it in my trucks. I turned off traction control and pulled the fuse out of the ABS. Lots of fun. The big thing to me is they both moved away for college and I’m not afraid to let them drive anywhere. 

• Like 1

I’m getting there with my kids, the younger one at least.  What I can’t wrap my head around is how people drive but have no concept of how the vehicle works.  Like how they cook but don’t know why the element gets hot.  Ironic I know because as I type this I have no clue how a microprocessor really works inside my pocket computer.  I’m a mechanical type of human, and understand basic electronics.  But back to my point how can one drive successfully without knowing why and how the vehicle is doing what your commanding it to do?

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Pasta Burner said:

I’m getting there with my kids, the younger one at least.  What I can’t wrap my head around is how people drive but have no concept of how the vehicle works.  Like how they cook but don’t know why the element gets hot.  Ironic I know because as I type this I have no clue how a microprocessor really works inside my pocket computer.  I’m a mechanical type of human, and understand basic electronics.  But back to my point how can one drive successfully without knowing why and how the vehicle is doing what your commanding it to do?

When the younger people like to call us uneducated I like to remind them that the owners manuals used to have information on how to remove, set or work with various aspects of maintenance on a our cars. The you look at their owners manuals and it says not to drink the battery acid.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 8/15/2022 at 4:02 PM, Pasta Burner said:

I guess part of life too is knowing your limits.  I have learned I am not a finish carpenter and nor do I want to be.  Mechanically though, I’ll give most anything a shot.

I can pretty much do anything and properly done as well. Having said that though I can paint a vehicle, house painting is my downfall, specially when it comes to rolling. Guaranteed you hand my a roller and tray at some point I will most definitely step in the tray or hit the ceiling several times with the roller.

Edited by saddlebum
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, saddlebum said:

I can pretty much do anything and properly done as well. Having said that though I can paint a vehicle, house painting is my downfall, specially when it comes to rolling. Guaranteed you hand my a roller and tray at some point I will most definitely step in the tray or hit the ceiling several times with the roller.

That's where friends come in handy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've already got my 9 year old driving (he sits on my lap me keeping my foot near the brake) in car parks and when we move our cars around to get out of the driveway.

He helps me with jobs on the bike (including doing almost everything under instruction on my RSV clutch change)

One of my main aims with him is to instill into him, you have to work to get anything, including getting a driving licence (or drivers license 😀).

(I also want him to be at least mildly mechanicly competent)

• Like 3

4 hours ago, GrahamLFCkeeper said:

One of my main aims with him is to instill into him, you have to work to get anything, including getting a driving licence (or drivers license 😀).

I did the same with all my kids including the girls and I taught them all how to drive stick.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, GrahamLFCkeeper said:

I've already got my 9 year old driving (he sits on my lap me keeping my foot near the brake) in car parks and when we move our cars around to get out of the driveway.

He helps me with jobs on the bike (including doing almost everything under instruction on my RSV clutch change)

Yep!  My dad and my uncle had me sitting in their lap pulling the trucks in the garage when I could barely see between the wheel and dash.  Sitting on their lap driving and working the controls on the forklift.  Sitting In the middle seat of the box trucks and 3/4 ton pickups shifting gears and shifting the split shift on the stake body as well as working the tilt bed.  Come to think of it I manned the helm of the Oliver when pumpkin picking came around because I was too small to lift the pumpkins but could reach the controls for the tractor.  Splitting logs with a PTO splitter, running the brush hog on the international.  All of this before I was a teen!  Unfortunately I’m not living on a property in which I grew up so those are skills I can’t readily pass on to my kids.  But the older one can drive stick in a pinch and the younger shall learn soon.  Little one wants her MC license too :) 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Pasta Burner said:

Yep!  My dad and my uncle had me sitting in their lap pulling the trucks in the garage when I could barely see between the wheel and dash.  Sitting on their lap driving and working the controls on the forklift.  Sitting In the middle seat of the box trucks and 3/4 ton pickups shifting gears and shifting the split shift on the stake body as well as working the tilt bed.  Come to think of it I manned the helm of the Oliver when pumpkin picking came around because I was too small to lift the pumpkins but could reach the controls for the tractor.  Splitting logs with a PTO splitter, running the brush hog on the international.  All of this before I was a teen!  Unfortunately I’m not living on a property in which I grew up so those are skills I can’t readily pass on to my kids.  But the older one can drive stick in a pinch and the younger shall learn soon.  Little one wants her MC license too :) 

Same here. Learned on Tractors. The art of shifting on a tractor was much more difficult than a car. Drove my dad's Ford with 3 in the tree back up into the 'holler' many times. Single lane road and the closes one to a pull off had to back up.  strait up on one side and straight down on the other with only trees to catch you. 

• Like 2

I think higher learning is great, I’ve been working on a degree for 20 years!  I think there has become too much emphasis on having that paper and too little focus on learning that counts.  I get it I know the Gen Ed are supposed to make you a well rounded individual, but for me that was scouting.  Honestly if I could afford it I’d take college classes for shitts and giggles because I love learning.  But I digress, back to @cowpuc original post, ya gotta learn the basics!

• Like 1

I'm thinking that higher learning just makes people more stupid sometimes. It kind of depends on the mode of learning, but often times times folks get to learn how to speak better, reason differently, debate things and so on. In the end they get so good at it that along with trying to convince others that they are right they even confuse themselves into thinking that what they are standing for actually makes sense and will pass for truth. I would rather us all be a bunch of dummies, but be able to believe what we hear and deal with each other on a level and honest basis.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Marcarl said:

I'm thinking that higher learning just makes people more stupid sometimes. It kind of depends on the mode of learning, but often times times folks get to learn how to speak better, reason differently, debate things and so on. In the end they get so good at it that along with trying to convince others that they are right they even confuse themselves into thinking that what they are standing for actually makes sense and will pass for truth. I would rather us all be a bunch of dummies, but be able to believe what we hear and deal with each other on a level and honest basis.

I agree, being educated is not always the same as being intelligent or having common sense. Our governments alone are one example that educated dummies do exist.

• Like 2

Mike Rowe is one of my favorite guys to refer to back when I was teaching the last few years. I was assistant instructor in automotive technology. I have watched some of his interviews on You Tube and they are great.