IGNORED

Ignition switch

ReinyRooster

Have an 09 RSV.......the ignition switch seems to work as it should except it wont lock. IO can turn the key almost all the way to the lock position but it feels like it's not going quite far enough, and won't lock. Can't pull the key out in that position.

Is this a common problem with a fix or should I be preparing for an ignition switch failure?

Sounds like when you try to take the key out of your car ignition and it won't come out.  Need to jiggle the steering wheel a bit to release the key.

Same with the bike.  If the handlebars aren't aligned to the right spot you can't turn the key to "Lock".

Handlebars were all the way to the left........I wiggled it.....I jiggled it....I spoke nicely to it.....I swore at it.....I offered to never ride another again.....no joy. The ignition will not turn all the way to the lock position.......almost but not quite.

3 hours ago, ReinyRooster said:

Handlebars were all the way to the left........I wiggled it.....I jiggled it....I spoke nicely to it.....I swore at it.....I offered to never ride another again.....no joy. The ignition will not turn all the way to the lock position.......almost but not quite.

Did yo try pushing in on the key as you move to lock On my bike there is a spring loaded detent in the switch, to go to full lock you must push in on the key

Edited by saddlebum

I guess, maybe your's is busted?

I've never used the lock position on any of my bikes. I had one, and now I can't remember if it was one of the Ventures, the XJs or one of my Suzukis that turned the tail light on when in the locked position. Can you say "Dead Battery"?

2 hours ago, ReinyRooster said:

Dang.....tried Cowpuc's suggestion with the lead.....didnt work....and yes, I am pushing the key in when trying to lock it.......no joy.

RATS! Oh well,, at least your ignition tumblers got some lube.. Next I think I would look under the neck (notice I would try lubing the tumblers like you did 1st so I didnt have to bend over lol) and locate the lock mechanism and bump it with a punch and a hammer,, not hard, just a light tap or too to see if it free's up. Then try to shoot some WD40 around the cylinder that is suppose to pop out.  @ReinyRooster, can you look under there and see what position the bars are suppose to be in to allow the cylinder to pop out? Maybe your not getting the bars in just the right spot and when you push down on the key the cylinder is hitting on the stop and not letting your key go to full lock..

1 minute ago, cowpuc said:

Maybe your not getting the bars in just the right spot and when you push down on the key the cylinder is hitting on the stop and not letting your key go to full lock..

I have seen bikes where the "block" on the frame stops the handlebars have been broken off....then welded back on.  Is the stop on the forks hitting the stop on the frame?  (thinking from memory of where they are).

Since you got the bike....has it ever worked?  Wasn't that something I was able to get to work when I was at your place?  Is it just you???

When you turn to the left lock and key is pushed mine I have to turn back towards the right to get it to lock then key can be taken out( turn too the left all the way and then back abit  just enough to feel movement to the lock section  That slight movement might  work). Also turn to right and do the same!

Just a thought....are you looking at the lock as a "security" feature?  

I use my key lock when I'm parked somewhere for a short time or in an overnight area I consider safe.  I wouldn't rely on it as a very secure handlebar position lock.  I haven't tried but I would think that with enough force it could be broken.

There is a reason there is a hole in the stopper and the striker.  It's for a padlock.  If I felt that I was parking in an area where someone might want to try to steal my bike, you can bet I'd put a padlock on it.

Edited by XV1100SE

2 hours ago, luvmy40 said:

I guess, maybe your's is busted?

I've never used the lock position on any of my bikes. I had one, and now I can't remember if it was one of the Ventures, the XJs or one of my Suzukis that turned the tail light on when in the locked position. Can you say "Dead Battery"?

My Duc does that kinda…once in the locked position there is one more click left that turns the tail light and an auxiliary headlamp on as in parking lights.  I even think it’s labeled as P for parking. But if you aren’t careful you can walk away with them on.

ok well I just went to the garage and the 87 VR has the same P feature just didn’t know or remember.  No need to push my key in to get it to lock though.

Edited by Pasta Burner

17 minutes ago, XV1100SE said:

Just a thought....are you looking at the lock as a "security" feature?  

I use my key lock when I'm parked somewhere for a short time or in an overnight area I consider safe.  I wouldn't rely on it as a very secure handlebar position lock.  I haven't tried but I would think that with enough force it could be broken.

There is a reason there is a hole in the stopper and the striker.  It's for a padlock.  If I felt that I was parking in an area where someone might want to try to steal my bike, you can bet I'd put a padlock on it.

Huh?  Hole and striker?  What you talkin bout?  I haven’t taken the VR overnight yet but the Duc has either been in what I feel safe territory or has fit inside the hotel room with me.  Recently bought a rotor lock but with the fancy bits on the VR it doesn’t work easily.

Edited by Pasta Burner